Reading John "Lofty" Wiseman's SAS Survival Guide, he recommends inclusion of a "beta light." Beta lights haven't been available in the US and I don't know if they're currently available anywhere for that matter.

Recently, I've seen several pics of several forum member's PSKs which have included fishing bobber lights as a replacement for the "beta light.". This got me very curious as to whether or not such a diminutive light would have merit in a PSK. I purchased two Lindy Thill Nite Brite lights yesterday morning for testing. You be the judge...

The Nite Brite bobber lights are 1 5/8" OAL by approximately 1/8" diameter. Weight is negligible - I couldn't weigh it on my current scale it's so LIGHT. Bad pun intended. They're advertised as providing 20+ hours of continuous light.

My test began at 1415 hours on 07/26/2005. I went into a completely darkened closet with the light and a copy of Greg Davenport's "Wilderness Survival." I found that the Nite Brite provided sufficient light for me to read by and sufficient light to easily identify objects within 3 - 4' from the light - easily sufficient to search a tent or pack.

By 2117 hours, same date and seven hours later, the light still provided ample light to read by and identify objects at close range with.

I could not use the light for safely traversing a trail with at that point (2117 hours) and I doubt that I could when the test first began. The light doesn't have enough throw to be able to identify a hazard such as a snake within a safe distance to be able to avoid it.

At 0300 hours on 07/27/2005, twelve hours forty five minutes after the test began, the Nite Brite was still providing enough light to read by and search distance had diminished drastically. I could ID objects in my pack at 2' from the light or less. As a side test, I used the light successfully to let me see to tie a fish hook with a palomar knot.

By 0530 hours, fifteen hours fifteen minutes after the test began, the light was severely diminished. I could read by the light at near contact distance, but trying to ID objects at 1' from the light was challenging. Trying to tie another hook wasn't possible at this point.

By 0730 hours, seventeen hours fifteen minutes after the test began, I could only read by the Nite Brite at contact distance.

It's now 0815 hours and the Nite Bright sits before me, a full 18 hours since the test began, burning dimly, but still burning. I can still read a few words at a time at contact distance. Pretty amazing performance, in my humble opinion.

Kit worthy? I think so. How about you?

M