Why even carry a survival kit everyday?

The reason for carrying pocket gear is three fold.

First is time.
Sure I can start a fire by rubbing 2 Boy Scouts together. Standard primitive skills training. Scenario I just fell through the ice. I'm soaking wet and my cloths are freezing stiff. The seconds or minutes between using a match or lighter versus constructing a bow drill and getting the fire going. That little bit of time could mean the difference. So gear buys you the time it takes to make the tool to make the tool you need.

Second is quality.
Sure I can make a cutting implement from the things I could find around me. But a steel knife blade works a lot better and lasts longer.

Third is confidence.
If TSHTF tell me you will not feel more self assured just knowing that the gear is available. That alone may make the problem smaller. At least in your mind and therefore easier to over come. Remember panic can kill you quicker than just about anything else. Just the time of breaking open a kit puts your mind in survival mode thinking. It keys your thinking from the situation back to your training.

By this do I mean forget learning primitive skills HE Double hockey sticks NO!!!

The skills are a great back up if your gear is lost, damaged or inadequate. Also if things last longer than expected they can improve your lot in the situation. Is gear the end all be all. No. You can only carry so much. How you use it, the skills to use it and the ability to make what you need from what is available is how you survive.

To City dwellers that think Pocket survival kits are only for country people. I can give you at least 2 easily foreseeable scenarios for daily carry pocket kits. If you are in a city office 1 A major storm or earthquake comes about without warning. 2 A race riot. Remember Rodney King?

In either case your car is destroyed so no equipment other than what you have on you is available. Yes you have had the fore thought to stash a kit in your office. To bad you where at lunch down the street when the problem started and can’t get back All power lines are down so no electricity. This means no lights, no heat, and no phones. Cell phones don't work if there's no power to run the system or the system is just completely overloaded. And water main has broken and no pressure because the power to the pumping stations is out so you have no guaranteed clean water. Do to the problems even if you could reach them the authorities have more problems than just worry about you. Wouldn't be nice to be able to take care of yourself at least until they can get around to you be it several hours or days.

To start off with how do you get out of the office or the restaurant you were in with no lights? Reach into your pocket and pull out your flashlight of choice [Photon Microlight, Sapphire light, Mag Lite, Infinity ETC.] and find your way out. You are now one step ahead of the riot mobs or the displaced mobs from the storm or earthquake.

How do you get home? Answer: Walk. Taxicabs, busses and trains are probably not working at this time. Hopefully the shoes that you are wearing look dressy for your work but are comfortable for walking. Now what you need on your walk home. How long is this going to take. Remember you may have detour around areas that were affected by the original problem or other people that may be unfriendly to you. Which may cause it to take up to several days. Since the water supply has been damaged or contaminated you might need to purify some water to get a healthy drink. if you drink contaminated water you can now have a major case of diarrhea. This can cause serious dehydration to your system. So yes you can die thirst in the middle of a city.

On your long trek home wouldn't it be nice to start a fire at least for comfort and warmth. You could also cook the pond fish or park squirrel you caught with the supplies in your kit. Remember that daytime and nighttime temperatures can vary 30 to 40 degrees with a 10 or 20-degree wind chill factor. To make matters worse is now raining you are soaked. So that nice 70 degree day you started out with is now the equivalent of ten degrees. Have you ever heard of hypothermia.

The large plastic bags can serve as shelter or a poncho It will block the rain and wind And help hold in your body heat. Smaller bags can carry the water you purified.

The first aid portion of a kit can clean that cut you managed to acquire somewhere in your wanderings. It could develop into a life threatening infection in a short time. Remember if we are talking a major disaster. What medical services that are available are going to be more concerned with far more seriously injured people.

Most components of in a kit can be used in many ways. Fishing line can also be used as thread to repair damage clothing.
Snare wire can be used for so many things it would take too long to list.
Multi-tools and pocket knives, how many things may need cut, bent, screwed, filed, or open that can of beans you just found.

True after a disaster you could probably pick up many odds and ends on your trip. With luck it might even be a fairly complete kit. But these things are something you can’t count on. A daily pocket carry kit gives you a minimum start on the essentials.

This is not meant to insult those that live in the city. It’s just that due to their normal work environment [Offices] and normal dress mode find kit carrying somewhat more awkward. Because of this start to think do I really need to carry equipment on me. The answer to that as you can see is a resounding YES.

Now I admit that most of the people that post on any survival type board tend to live in more rural settings and see a greater need for carrying a little more equipment on our person. Also probably most of us have been in situations were without what we carried have been seriously instead of an inconvenient happening. And by the same token have thought it would've been nice to have, fill in the blank, and added a few more things to our kits.

Also being a gadget person I like my toys and to have them with me.

And always remember TANSTAAFL