Concerning Presumed Lost's Post, -"And There was No One to Hear It", -on page 185 of this Forum,

( I'm Uncertain whether I shud Pull a Post / Thread from that Far Back up to Now, -by Directly Posting to that Thread.),

I'd like to mention that I too, have Experienced such a Large Tree just Crashing Down! -Right in the Midst of a Perfectly Still, Windless, Sunny, Mid-Summer Afternoon! As I was Walking Thru those Woods that I spoke of Having Cleared,-( which I've spoken on over on the Campfire Forum.),-This Suddenly Happened. Similar to his Description, I All of a Sudden heard this Loud Crashing!, -Amidst All the Peaceful Quiet!

It was Off toward my Front Left, -perhaps only Several Hundred Feet away. Not happening to be looking in just that Direction at the Moment,-I did not witness the actual Fall. Interveneing Trees also Interfered a Lot.

But after a second or two's, of -"What's Happening?!" Curiosity and Surprise,-You immeadiately know what it is. It Still Intrigues you,-though! -The -"Now Why did it Do that?!", sort of Feeling! There Isn't the Slightest Stir! Presumed and I know the Feeling Perfectly!

I'm Sure some Others of you know this Feeling / Have Had this Experience, as Well.

I've Experienced several reasonably Near (Sizeable) Branch Falls too,-During my many times in the Woods. Also just Out of the Blue!, in the Midst of a Perfectly Calm day.

We all know Branches occassionally Fall, but that's the Key Word there, -Occassionally- and I'll also Add, -Quite Rarely. I'd say it would be more common, than Out of the Blue, Calm Day, Tree Falls.

My Experience occurred on a reasonably Steep Sloped area, which Didn't have exactly the Best Soil Hold in the world! (Nor the Worst), -but Presumed's and Other's Cases may well have been on Better / to Perfectly Good, Soils.

As He said there, We All know to Avoid Setting Down or Pitching Camp under or aside Dead or Weak Trees /Branches, -the Widowmakers, as they are called.

But as Presumed says so well there, Let's be Aware and Beware!, -of Many Other, Perfectly Normal appearing Trees too! Even when there be Not the Slightest Breeze!

I know we can't be Watching Out for every tree we pass!, but it's something to Keep More than a Little in Mind!

See His Post and Thread on page 185 for More.

[color:"black"] [/color] [email]ScottRezaLogan[/email]

Edited by ScottRezaLogan (01/29/04 08:11 PM)