A number of interesting articles have come out lately. For your vicarious amusement:

Pandemic Wilderness Explorers Are Straining Search and Rescue
This one may have been posted in the past.

Utah climber accused of making false report to get helicopter evacuation off Denali
And another version of this story:
Doctor Charged With False Report to Summon Helicopter on Denali
It seems that this case was egregious enough that the NPS made the unusual step of pressing federal charges.

Treasure Hunter Who Got Lost in Yellowstone Must Repay Cost of Rescue
Another case where the NPS decided to play hardball.

You Got Lost and Had to Be Rescued. Should You Pay?
In the past I've always said "No", but I'm beginning to rethink that. I now believe that in the most blatant cases of irresponsible behavior, it is appropriate to recover costs, and in some cases press criminal charges.

In other news (don't have the link handy), since the start of covid19, sales of backcountry ski gear have increased over 100%. Of course we can be sure that all of those new backcountry skiers will take an avalanche course, become competent wilderness navigators, and learn some basic winter survival skills? Right?
And they will not call 911 on their cell, nor punch the SOS button on their InReach, except when in a true emergency situation, after making every reasonable effort to self rescue and/stabilize the situation? Right?

Edited by AKSAR (11/14/21 04:18 AM)