So I'm working on BOB's for my family.

I stumbled across this video and it got my attention.

I'm a bit of a dichotomy, because I'm fascinated with minimalism, and yet I tend to overpack often times. The concepts this gentleman expresses make a lot of sense to me.

I'm also trying to plan for the most likely bug out scenarios we as a family will face in our new home in Florida. Extreme cold is highly improbable. I know in mid to late winter, the temperature can drop below freezing overnight, but not below that. Most of the weather we would face in a bug out (besides bugs) would be heavy rain, wind, and sun.

The gentleman in the video builds the shelter part of this BOB with a poncho and bivy bag. I have no experience yet with this approach.

By the way, the bivy he uses is $135...is that typical? I've carried Heetsheets bivys in my car for years, and I know that's different...but, wow. Especially if I'm putting together four of these BOB's!

I guess a big part of this is learning the new environment. Have to be much more aware of critters than anyplace I've lived before, if I'm poncho sheltering for sure. Panthers, bears, alligators, crocodiles, snakes of all kinds, fire ants...a few weeks ago, authorities down south had been chasing a monitor lizard for three weeks...those are endangered, and NOT native to this continent.

I'm learning my knots, left handed and right handed, and working on doing them with my eyes closed...working so I don't have to think about it.

We'd have to add some things to a BOB of this concept...for one, a way to keep my wife's insulin cold enough to keep from going bad. We've got a plug in cooler for the car, but if we had to go on foot, that challenge gets a whole lot more interesting. That truly is a life or death situation for her.

Just a lot of thinking out loud I guess.

This guy has several videos on related topics. Seems to know his stuff.

What do you think? Any huge red flags coming up for you with what he says?