Tools
knife 15 88 690
Signal/Nav
map 12 12 500
mirror 0 4 10
whistle 0 5 35
light 0 20 320

TOTAL 30 213-498 2001-4325

The above table sums the costs I derived for 1)cheap - gear typically found on hand in the average household 2)middle - retail prices in a retail store for comparable items 3)expensive - same retail store (REI) but the most expensive (not necessarily the most suitable!) item in that category.

In "cheap" the costs are for a Mora knife, a topo map of the relevant area, and a drop cloth in the shelter category.

The "middle" included a bivvy sack (REI actually lists one at $325!!)

The "expensive" is just that,but everything is currently on the REI site. The spread in shelters is most impressive; the most expensive is a car top model - price is through the roof, so to speak.

I used REI as a guide because they have a fairly full inventory of necessary items. The same things can be found at other retailers and prices will vary, especially if you hunt for bargains.

This thread is inspired by the "Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30". i would say you can probably get by for thirty bucks or less for all your stuff and survive a night or three, or you can spend more, in some cases a lot more.

This is just a minimal kit, and there are several things that most of us would include. Note that there is no mention of a compass. IMHO and experience, a compass on land is rarely necessary to determine direction, while a topo map is frequently consulted, even in familiar terrain.

I would predict that most of us fit comfortably in the middle range.

edit: despite my best efforts, the columns got scrambled when posted - sorry!

Edited by hikermor (07/20/18 10:51 PM)