I didn't want to hijack the camelback thread, so let's start a new one!

Originally Posted By: Eugene

My son's birthday is January, he will be 6 then... I don't know if they are quite old enough yet to need a psk, we don't go on long hikes way out in the woods where they could get lost, it would be more of a wander off if we turn our backs for two seconds, so thats why the whistle so they can blow if it they can't see us and we can listen for it.

I'm of the opinion that they're never too young to start developing good habits. Don't ask them to carry too much for their size and weight, and keep it simple. A whistle on a lanyard, and a small backpack with small water bottle or juice box, a snack, a flashlight, and maybe a stuffie or favorite My Little Pony/Hot Wheels, are a good start. A jacket, extra socks and hats don't weigh much and shouldn't be too much for the average six year old. If he wants to take more, let him, but always be ready to shoulder his load for him. You don't want to suck the fun adventure out of it, and kids are less likely to be interested in or carry stuff as long as grown-ups are.

My bottom line? Teach them to stay with their group and teach them Hug-a-Tree. Teach them well but keep it fun.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA