Long story short: After a long, tiring, awkward, and minor-pain-turning-to-cramps few hours of unexpected equipment-related problems, I told my buddy I needed to head back the half-mile plus to our shore launch spot. I began.

I dumped my sit-on-top kayak when cramping and, later put together that an involuntary sudden head movement also triggered my positional vertigo. My PFD, belted chest waders, flats boots, strapped-on sturdy fishing hat, insulated gloves, and technical top did their jobs and I only slowly was getting cold. My hands, arms, shoulders, etcetera were not up to self-rescue [I tried] but the kayak was a temporary floating safe haven. It was nice to notice a small Lido 14 sailboat swiftly closing on my position; I could hear my buddy getting close, as well.

The sailboat guys towed me and my kayak into shallow water, where I waded onto a gravel spit and promply fell down. I was in Tomales Bay which is linked to Bodega Bay and then the Pacific Ocean; I was in a part of the bay that is part of the Pt. Reyes National Seashore in Northern California.

Almost uncontrollable shivering; cramping hands, arms, shoulders, abdomen and stomach. Tried to re-group to get back on the water and to shore. Put on a dry top; barely able to drink a hot cup of tea two-handed due to shaking. Tried with my buddy to come up with a plan; failed. After a few minutes, feeling like a jerk, I told my buddy to call 911 and that he was in charge because I did not seem to be thinking straight.

I was hoping for a quiet, discrete boat ride to shore. Nope. Coast Guard, someone's circling spotter plane, Highway Patrol, National Park Rescue boat, local [sheriff?] helicopter landing on the spit, local fire department, and local paramedics on shore. Checked out by three separate sets of para-medic/EMTs: one from the helicopter, one on the boat, and a team on shore. Released by each with comment my blood pressure was a little high.

Very tired and a little slow today, a bit emotional, grateful [sp
?], feeling old and a bit foolish.

Let the games begin!

Edited by dweste (02/06/11 10:02 PM)