I'm joining my husband on his business trip soon (beats sitting at home alone on our 1-year anniversary), and I need to know how to pack a my gear for checked baggage. In addition to dinners out with the boss, we'll be getting some adventuring time in hiking through woods or kayaking with a friend of ours. Normally when I fly I don't get the chance to adventure at all, so packing for this is new to me.

I figured bringing along my standard daypack(filled with gear and tools similar to a BOB) that I normally take adventuring will be sufficient, since I need space for dresses and heels in addition to the hiking boots in my luggage. My style is usually pretty discreet - so I'd like to keep everything in the civilian-looking matching luggage set that I have.

Would you recommend just throwing the pack in there as is? Or should I take everything out of the pack and pack it in Ziploc bags, with the empty daypack on top? I figured if the pack was with all the gear, it'll at least explain why the gear is there.

I'm a bit worried, too, about theft of my gear on the grounds that it might look suspicious. I'm not sure where Esbit stove fuel tabs fall in those regards, along with other flammables like lighters and matches or sharps anymore. Usually when I travel I don't check any baggage, so I'll fly sans blade (usually have one at my destination, like my parent's house) and with only the 1 matchbook allowance.

Thanks for any suggestions!