During my working life, one of my assignments was disaster planning and response for a major telephone company. Knowing I would not be home to care for my family during these times, I prepared my household and those of my elderly relatives and neighbors to survive in relative comfort and made plans for communications between them. Some of these elderly relatives were in hard to reach areas during ice storms and land slides. As many of these people had been through the “Depression” and WWII and now were partially disabled, they took to this task better than the young healthy people who I worked with that never had such experiences.

Power for heating, cooking, and lighting were addressed and handled per each individual’s situation. Since I also remodeled homes to allow relatives and neighbors to remain at home during and after various illnesses, I realized that obtaining pure water was a hardship for many of these households. I obtained used fifty five gallon translucent sherry drums and build frames to hold one or two drums, depending on family size or health conditions. I also equipped each with a spigot and a large elbow and cap fitting to easily fill the drum and treat the water. I wrote, with Sharpy Pen, the instructions for using bleach to treat the water periodically. Ever six months, during the summer, we would empty the tanks by watering gardens and refilling. Later I found that I could treat the water with an Ultra Violet Ozone Generator which was designed to purify water. I obtained one and I could purify the drums in thirty minutes. I keep the UV Ozone Purifier in my RV and use it whenever I suspect the quality of water. It is easily portable and I have used it for years.

Just recently, when reviewing my water purifying techniques and equipment, I came across the SteriPen. It is a very portable UV water purification device. It will purify sixteen or thirty two ounces of water at a time. As long as the water is clear and liquid, it will purify. It has been well tested and treats all organic biologicals and viruses, however it will not remove chemical, metalic, or radiological hazzards. To obtain clear water, a filter of some kind may have to be employed. It is sold to both world travelers and backpackers.

I obtained one and made a small cheat sheet of the instructions to keep with the device. It will stay in my truck and will be attached to my Maxpedition fatboy shoulder pack when I venture out and about. I also keep at least two other methods of purification with me. Dead batteries or damaged electronic circuitry would render the SteriPen useless. However, it sure beats these other methods in taste, time, energy, and purity! Another plus is that it does not degrade over time like chemical treatments. As long as you have battery power, it is good for 5000 sixteen ounce treatments.

You can read about the SteriPen at hydro-photon.com. I obtained mine via the internet from C & C Outdoors for a Winter Sale price of $124.95 with free shipping. I searched ETS for information on this item and found none. If any of you have experience with this device, please let me know, good or bad.

As a disclaimer, I have no affiliation with either SteriPen or C & C Outdoors. If any of you find them cheaper somewhere else, let me know. I may buy another.

Edited by turbo (01/24/05 07:31 AM)