Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#1171 - 08/03/01 06:42 AM dogs for survival?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ive been on basic camping and backpacking trips but never anything too serious. i have always found one of my best tools to be a dog. as most other animals are afraid of wolflike animals(dogs), they can alert you of danger, help you hunt, pull weight, keep you warm and are generally great pets.<br>so my question is if anyone has had any experience with how well a dog functions in a down and out survival situation and if there are any specific breeds that would be recomended, i have had best luck with mutts, but im looking for something more reliable if i was going depend on this animal as a worker and a good companion when not in such a situation.<br>ANY responses would be helpful, thank you <br><br>

#1172 - 08/03/01 07:06 AM Re: dogs for survival?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In choosing anything for 'survival', your first question must be 'what do I intend to survive?' If I was drowning at sea a big Newfoundland definitly.But if I was duplicating a life or death sled run on Iditarod lines, a member of the sled dog family would get the nod. A dog may either help,or hinder safety around large animals. the Iditarod participants greatest fear is from aggressive Moose,not bear! Coyote attacks are extremely rare, but they commonly take dogs. You may very well have to protect old spot. You will want to consider the needs of your companion. Hiking booties, a small pack for his needs and a multi tool to pull out porcupine quills,thorns,ticks etc. We would all love a Rinn Tin tin with an Altoid tin hanging from his collar!<br><br>

#1173 - 08/03/01 09:42 AM Re: dogs for survival?
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>. Hiking booties, a small pack for his needs and a multi tool to pull out porcupine quills,thorns,ticks etc. <<<br><br>And tomato juice to neutralize the skunk spray...<br><br>

#1174 - 08/03/01 12:58 PM Re: dogs for survival?
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
One of the Asst. Scoutasters in our troop has several dogs. One of the training/certification programs he and his family takes them through is a backpacking program. They have special backpacks for the dogs and they are trained to carry them with their own food.<br><br>Although this is not a survival course, it would seem prudent if you take your pets out camping and on the trail. That way they are trained properly and at the very least will not be as big of a liability as an untrained dog during a real emergency.<br><br>I don't know all of the details of the program. But I'd be happy to forward a message to my contact if you send me a private email at william_vannerson@ama-assn.org<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1175 - 08/03/01 02:32 PM Re: dogs for survival?
NAro Offline
Addict

I tend to agree with Chris about dogs for survival settings. I've done a great deal of advanced dog training (SAR and Schutzhund), and consider a good dog an important part of my life. But in the woods... unless you're there for fun... the dog is most apt to be a liability. <br>Any wild animal afraid of your dog is probably of no threat to you. Coyotes, rabid skunks or foxes, large cats, or bears will probably be more rather than less of a problem if you have a dog in the camp. Some will consider your dog a food source. Some your dog will consider a food source and get in trouble in the process. And just because Fido is an attack trained 100# killer, don't expect the Coyotes to fight fair! They'll gang up, if they're in a hunting pack (though highly unusual). Even 1 on 1, if your dog wins, you'll have a mess on your hands.<br><br> Many bear attacks are triggered by the pet dog annoying a bear and then running back to Dad for protection.<br><br>Very unlikely that a dog will be much help in hunting or food acquisition in a survival situation. More likely they will compete with you for food. Unless you're going to eat him! In that case, I recommend one of the Giant Breeds if you're in base camp and have time to make Dog Jerky... or several of the miniature breeds if you have room in your pack and need an on-the-move snack. <br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NAro on 08/03/01 07:40 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

#1176 - 08/03/01 06:14 PM Re: dogs for survival?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The association of humanity and canids is an ancient one. We domesticated the dog from his genetically identical wolf . Some anthropologists actually look to pack behavior to understand early huntier gatherer societies.Our association probably began as competitors( one hunting pack against the other), then cooperation( much like a coyote -badger and many other examples of inter species interaction) and finally domestication.Incidentaly, the most dangerous canid is the so called 'coydog', the progeny of a coyote -dog mating. they have no fear of man. the most common cross is a collie.If you see a coyote with unusual pelage and behavior assume the worst.I had one break through 5 ranch dogs. Only the intervention of a local female coyote saved the day. We were HER territory, and mutual respect saved a newborn foal! But we are digressing from the forum's purpose here. Back to my pocket tin!<br><br>

#1177 - 08/06/01 01:42 PM Re: dogs for survival?
Anonymous
Unregistered

On a slightly unrelated note, I read yesterday that swimming with a dog appears to increase the odds of being attacked by a shark. This is based on a study of worldwide attacks of great white sharks on people. <br><br>However, this probably wouldn't apply to inland fresh waters ;-)<br><br>

#1178 - 08/07/01 01:05 AM Re: dogs for survival?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a rottie that just had to roll her slef in the remains of a very ripe skunk. I tried the tomato juice route and after letting her soke for a while she still was preaty ripe. Then I was told of a new method form one of the towns people: Masingail. After three bottels the smell was gone (makes you think).<br><br>Jerry Sosa, Commander<br>Safety<br>Intermountain K-9 Search and Rescue

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 419 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.