The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#299745 - 08/17/21 11:55 PM Special Ed teacher needing neck survival kits
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
A guy on a backpacking forum has asked the below. I recommended visiting this site so maybe he will chime in.

"Hi, I’m a Special Ed teacher at a small school on the edge of the Bristol Bay in Alaska. In the winter we sometimes travel by snow-go(snowmobile) or single engine planes. My school district has a rule that each child must carry a small survival kit around their neck while in transit.

Question–Does anyone have any suggestions other than the ones I see on ebay and amazon? I would prefer ones that had actual usable components. The old ones consisted of a trash bag sized tube tent and a 5 cent compass with a candle…..

Thanks in advance…"

#299749 - 08/18/21 12:48 AM Re: Special Ed teacher needing neck survival kits [Re: jshannon]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Medical- medical ID card, first aid kit for wounds
Shelter- sol emergency blanket
Fire-
Hydration- collapsible cup with aqua tabs
Communication- whistle, ?signal mirror
Navigation- compass, small led light
Nutrition- roll of lifesavers or jolly ranchers
Insulation- they are probably wearing it if Alaska
Sun protection- emergency blanket
Tools-

Edited by jshannon (08/18/21 12:49 AM)

#299750 - 08/18/21 02:49 AM Re: Special Ed teacher needing neck survival kits [Re: jshannon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would not waste my money on the usual preassembled survival kit. You can easily do better by assembling the kit yourself. in fact, I just finished an REI sponsored session on the gear for emergency preparedness in which the instructor also had a negative view of those kits.

How many do you need? one for each kid or just a few for those who might be in transit together? This could be a good class project...

Are there any criteria for what is judged sufficient by the school board?

Any emergency equipment on the snowmobile or plane itself?

#299751 - 08/18/21 03:12 AM Re: Special Ed teacher needing neck survival kits [Re: jshannon]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Making your own does seem like a better idea.

#299754 - 08/18/21 05:21 AM Re: Special Ed teacher needing neck survival kits [Re: jshannon]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
A few other comments! It would help to know the ages and capability of the kids. If they are to wear them around their necks that would call for a compact, lightweight kit. And what a SERE-trained airman might carry would require skills those kids probably don't have. Will the kids receive training, even rudimentary, on survival?

For premade kits, I think the SOL Scout Kit is a decent place to start. It's relatively small and would be easy to wear on a lanyard. There's a space blanket, whistle, mirror and a small fire kit among other things. None of the stuff would take a ton of training to use. The blanket is at least a bit of shelter and protection.

#299755 - 08/18/21 05:27 AM Re: Special Ed teacher needing neck survival kits [Re: jshannon]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
For a "shelter in place awaiting rescue" kit, the challenge is making it appropriate to the users (instead of a token). Surely the authorities must provide some guidance on what is appropriate?

My thinking is that the objectives of the kit contents would be to support things like:
- stay calm, stay with the group, stay with the transport vehicle
- set up some signals to the sky, so people in aircraft can find you
- stay warm, stay dry, help others to do this
- try to find water, or melt snow

That's a lot for a kit carried around your neck. I think it's more about reinforcing a successful survival psychology and positive actions than anything else. If that can be kept going, other things become possible. Also, kids raised in the bush, regardless of their other challenges, may have more skills than we know about here, and the ability to apply them.

My 2c.

#299757 - 08/18/21 08:36 AM Re: Special Ed teacher needing neck survival kits [Re: jshannon]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

How old are the kids?

If in their teens I would say hands down center the kit around a palmer furnace, if you're traveling by snow mobile then you're in an environment where exposure will kill you faster than anything else. Obviously there is a burn risk and an assessment should be made if the kids can handle having a candle between their legs but for the size and weight I can think of nothing else that will provide lifesaving warmth in freezing temperatures with little to no prep. I'm assuming these will have to be made for lots of kids so cost will be a factor.

There are a bunch of ways you can do it to save money, from contractor bags (black or orange) on the low end to heatsheets emergency blanket + disposable clear poncho or if we're going premium then an SOL emergency poncho. Cheap candles from the store or tacti-cool exotac candles. You can even make your own inexpensively buying tins with lids in bulk quantities and melting beeswax in it with 2-3 wicks. Throw in matches or ferro rod, with a little cotton ball and Vaseline or tinder quik pre installed around the wicks and you can light with a spark. The supplies can be had for cheap enough they can have two, one to practice with and one to use. If you opt for contractor bags then two bags would be ideal, one to throw over them (and rip a face hole) and one to stuff with evergreen boughs to insulate from the ground.

Beyond that, maybe a couple of toe warmers, a whistle, signal mirror (can be had on aliexpress for $1 ea, can improvise with cheap dental mirror from most stores) and something to treat water. Some duct tape around a card is cheap, some bankline cordage. A $1 headlamp from walmart. You can vacuum seal the lot or use a ziplock baggie depending on expense and time and ziplock can be your water container in a pinch, marked at a quart / liter.

Not ideal but If it must be worn around the neck, can punch holes in the ziplock above the closure for a dogtag like chain, or duct tape to reinforce. or put the entire assembly in a kerchief, fabric pouch with drawstring closure, cargo pocket cut out of some old cargo pants, or even a pair of wool socks to help support it so it's not tugging on the freezer bag. I reckon it would be manageable weight wise.

If you want to splurge, a Coghlans pocket sierra saw is a pocket knife sized saw for $10, doesn't weigh anything and would fit in the ziplock with the rest and be fine for gathering some fire wood or assembling an A frame shelter, if help is more than a day away due to weather they'll want to convert to a different shelter with a campfire since the candle will probably be done getting them through the first night.

Edited by Burncycle (08/18/21 08:45 AM)

#299758 - 08/18/21 09:47 AM Re: Special Ed teacher needing neck survival kits [Re: jshannon]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
I would like to add that in my oppinion one of the adult leaders should be able to use a chainsaw in order to build a decent fire in case of emergency. Since they travel by plane or snowmobile the weight should not be a problem.

Edited by Herman30 (08/18/21 09:48 AM)

#299760 - 08/18/21 10:43 AM Re: Special Ed teacher needing neck survival kits [Re: jshannon]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Is around the neck a hard rule? Would have though a chest pouch or hip pack would have been better.

Initial thoughts... and not a complete list.

Whistle
Signal Mirror
Flashing beacon https://www.cejayengineering.com/distress-beacons/outdoor-distress-beacons
BIC lighter https://us.bic.com/en_us/bic-classic-lighters-orange-12-pack.html
Stormproof matches https://www.ucogear.com/firestarting/matches/survival-stormproof-matches-10-pack-in-bag-mt--sv--bulk
Blizzard Survival Bag https://www.blizzardsurvival.com/product-category/bags-blankets/bags/

#299761 - 08/18/21 12:20 PM Re: Special Ed teacher needing neck survival kits [Re: Ren]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Second Ren's comment. If there should be a pileup/hard landing, something around your neck could have serious consequences, like strangulation. A waist pack would be much better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.