Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#297710 - 12/07/20 02:19 PM Find your place in the Coronavirus Vaccine Line
jds Offline
Stranger

A tool has been published in the New York Times (among other places) which can provide you with a guess as to just "where in the COVID19 vaccine line you stand". The tool asks for your year-of-birth, the county where you live (in the US), whether or not you are an "essential worker", and whether or not you have any condition identified by the CDC as putting you at-risk for a severe case of COVID19.

On the New York Times website the tool is located at ...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/03/opinion/covid-19-vaccine-timeline.html

... I believe this is accessible without a subscription. If you can't access the tool on the NYT website, I think you can easily find it with a Google search.

Be Safe!

#297712 - 12/07/20 04:45 PM Re: Find your place in the Coronavirus Vaccine Line [Re: jds]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Interesting! Closer to the front than the back but not by much!

#297713 - 12/07/20 04:56 PM Re: Find your place in the Coronavirus Vaccine Line [Re: jds]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The link works and I can follow my brothers advice (He is a physician who worked in public health) - get it but don't be first in line.....

#297715 - 12/07/20 06:55 PM Re: Find your place in the Coronavirus Vaccine Line [Re: hikermor]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
The link works and I can follow my brothers advice (He is a physician who worked in public health) - get it but don't be first in line.....

Each country is going to be different- here in Canada its the elderly in a care home plus their attendants, front line medical staff, and First Nations people. Then ranking according to descending age down to 70 and other first responders. Not sure about teachers and other age specific groups. Politicians are lumped in with the general public - no favourtism for them! Yea! Besides our Prime Minister has already been exposed because his wife had Covid.

My Dad who is 90 and still living at home should be in slightly later than first in line. I'm 61 and reasonably good health so I definitely won't get my shot until March or later (probably later because the politicians have bungled everything up). Everyone should have the opportunity for their dosage by the end of 2021 - it will not be mandatory. I get the regular flu shot every year - any one notice that the flu and the common cold incidences are way down this year? I guess social distancing/masks/sanitizing really helps lower the spread of other communicable diseases too!

#297716 - 12/07/20 07:30 PM Re: Find your place in the Coronavirus Vaccine Line [Re: Roarmeister]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
In Germany we still work out who gets the shots first - once a vaccine has been approved. After some problems with a swine flu vaccine they may run out of people wanting to have a shot before they run out of shots.
Sanitizing and home office may play a big role in limiting the spreading of the flu. Around here the count of flu fatalities is estimated based on expected deaths. I hope they check before publishing. It would be a little spooky if they came up with a negative number.

#297718 - 12/07/20 08:24 PM Re: Find your place in the Coronavirus Vaccine Line [Re: jds]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Not to get ahead of myself- after all, no vaccine has yet been approved for use in the USA-but I plan to get vaccinated as soon as possible! I can understand folks concerns, and even people who are normally pro-vaccine have some trepidation at taking a completely new kind of vaccine. But I think science knows enough about the mechanism in general that it's a risk worth taking given the severity of SAR CoV-2.*

* By severity I mean the known effects, the effects we only partially understand, the worst-case scenario and the wild variability of the disease.

#297720 - 12/07/20 08:48 PM Re: Find your place in the Coronavirus Vaccine Line [Re: jds]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
The NHS, here in the UK starting tomorrow, are offering to some people in their 80s that already have hospital appointments, care home workers, and other high risk health workers.

#297723 - 12/07/20 10:54 PM Re: Find your place in the Coronavirus Vaccine Line [Re: jds]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I am very much pro-vaccine, as I am against things like smallpox.

I am also a lousy test subject. I understand that vaccines usually take a year or more to test for safety in the USA. Also, as far as I know humanity has never before had a vaccine for any coronavirus.

Most likely I'll be waiting to see what happens with any COVID-19 vaccine for a minimum of some months.

#297729 - 12/08/20 01:30 PM Re: Find your place in the Coronavirus Vaccine Line [Re: jds]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
mRNA vaccines are so fundamentally different than prior vaccines - they are the minimalist version of a vaccine, tightly tuned to the target atomic-level structure of a part of the virus (the spike in this case). So I feel good about being in line for the vaccination, and having seen what "long Covid" looks like - and indications of long-term heart damage from even mild cases, I'll be happy when my turn to take the shot comes.

As a volunteer firefighter, I get pushed ever so slightly to the front of the line, but the few remaining EMS people we have absolutely need it before me and my family.

#297735 - 12/08/20 06:04 PM Re: Find your place in the Coronavirus Vaccine Line [Re: MartinFocazio]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
mRNA vaccines

That led me to some very interesting reading, thank you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.