The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#297364 - 10/25/20 10:03 PM Another missing hiker in a National Park
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Hre we go again. A hiker missing in Mt Rainier NP for two weeks has yet to be located. Family desires search to be continued when conditions allow.

https://news.yahoo.com/family-hiker-missing-2-weeks-050924137.html

Mt. Rainier isn't Zion, even in the lower country, not by a long shot....

#297365 - 10/25/20 11:06 PM Re: Another missing hiker in a National Park [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Hmmm...a pretty dangerous place to be lost especially this time of year.

#297374 - 10/27/20 01:17 PM Re: Another missing hiker in a National Park [Re: hikermor]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I realize I'm beating Doug's dead horse here, but every time I see a story like this I think of how simple it is to carry a PLB...

#297378 - 10/28/20 12:06 AM Re: Another missing hiker in a National Park [Re: roberttheiii]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Yeah. Amazing life saving insurance coverage for roughly 10 years (maybe more) for under $300.

Being an avid PLB owner, I kind of saw Doug's PSP as something to keep me comfortable and entertained while waiting for help to arrive - and to signal them when they are nearby.

#297379 - 10/28/20 02:32 AM Re: Another missing hiker in a National Park [Re: KenK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: KenK

Being an avid PLB owner, I kind of saw Doug's PSP as something to keep me comfortable and entertained while waiting for help to arrive - and to signal them when they are nearby.

Let's hope that will be the case if you ever activate your PLB. However circumstances may vary. In bad weather, your signal may get through, but rescuers will be delayed. Helos usually don't fly at night (some are equipped to do so); fog and high winds slow things down.

Ground troops can be tardy due to a whole bunch of factors. Believe it or not, not all rescue groups are equally competent, due to a whole variety of circumstances.

Signaling when in trouble is definitely a great idea!

#297380 - 10/28/20 04:21 AM Re: Another missing hiker in a National Park [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I hate to have to admit it but I do not yet have a PLB! eek It's been on my list for a while but I haven't found the extra $300 yet. Only recently did I get a good, modern GPS unit!

#297381 - 10/28/20 06:03 PM Re: Another missing hiker in a National Park [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-woma...?ocid=Peregrine

This just in. giving a few more details.

Let me just say that things get amplified and blown out of proportion more easily in this social media and Go Fund Me era, compared to the old days. It will be interesting to see the NPS report on the operation, due out shortly....

#297382 - 10/28/20 08:26 PM Re: Another missing hiker in a National Park [Re: KenK]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted By: KenK
Yeah. Amazing life saving insurance coverage for roughly 10 years (maybe more) for under $300.

A survival kit is still critical. There are lots of places (as others have said) that in the best of circumstances it'll take a while to be rescued, and in the less-than-best circumstances it could take a considerable amount of time to be rescued.

Plus you just never know. Take a fall and smash your PLB? Happy to have the survival kit. Lose the survival kit but rescuers show an hour after you press the PLB button? Good to have the PLB.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.