Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#295556 - 04/02/20 08:58 PM How to use a mask
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
"The debate is over. You should be wearing a mask when you go out."

Now let’s talk about the right way to use masks:
Each person in your home should have a mask — absolutely no sharing.
The mask should cover the bridge of your nose and cup your chin.
There should be two straps, one that goes above your ear, and the other below
How to put it on and take it off — what we call donning and doffing in my field (yes, those are the terms we use) — is also important. To put it on, use one hand to hold the outside of your homemade mask and put the top strap over your head, followed by the strap that goes below your ear. To take it off, don’t touch your mask, which could have infectious particles on it if you came into contact with someone infectious. Instead, take it off using the two straps.
If you make one mask, wash it daily.
If you make multiple masks, place the recently worn one in a bag and set it aside for five days (there shouldn’t be any virus left after that time). Wear a new one each day.
Wash your hands when you’re done.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/...you-should-too/

#295557 - 04/02/20 10:05 PM Re: How to use a mask [Re: clearwater]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
If I'm lucky I'll find my masks to buy around July!

#295559 - 04/02/20 10:49 PM Re: How to use a mask [Re: clearwater]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Good information. Important to remember that te mask will be the most contaminated item you have in your house, since it has been live trapping virus form 4-8 liters of air per minute while you are wearing it.

OTOH, this is why the gov has been slow to recommend public use of masks

Without training, respirators are likely to be worn incorrectly. NIOSH conducted research in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina in order to evaluate the correctness of N95 FFR donning by the public for mold remediation and found that only 24% of participants demonstrated proper donning technique.10 Common mistakes included the clip (the metal band at the top of the FFR) not being pressed or tightened against the contours of the user’s face, straps incorrectly placed, and putting the respirator on upside down. Users should follow manufacturers’ guidance and the best practices below for guidance.
Without fit testing, it is not possible to know how well the respirator you use fits you. Fit testing is a critical step as it increases the chances that you will receive expected levels of protection. Studies have shown that face seal leakage from a poor fit is the largest contributor to poor protection11, aside from not wearing your respirator at all or wearing it incorrectly. See best practices below for fit testing recommendations.
Improvised devices such as bandanas and t-shirts, non-NIOSH-approved single-strap dust masks, and loose-fitting facemasks will not provide the same level of protection as a NIOSH-certified respirator. The reason for this is two-fold.
NIOSH-approved respirators provide higher levels of filter efficiency than improvised devices, facemasks, and dust masks.12-14 This is not surprising as only the NIOSH-approved respirators are tested against a near “worst-case” aerosol challenge (i.e., mass median aerodynamic diameter particle of about 0.3 microns) and demonstrated to be at least 95% efficient. This ensures that filters in NIOSH certified respirators will very efficiently collect aerosols of all sizes and shapes, including air pollutants (such as PM2.5 which is particulate matter 2.5 microns or less) and biological aerosols. Other test methods exist for testing loose-fitting facemasks used in hospitals, but are far less stringent.15 (More about worst-case testing in this NIOSH video, A Particle is a Particle.)

The part that worries is the magical thinking: I have a mask/gloves so I am safe.

#295563 - 04/02/20 11:27 PM Re: How to use a mask [Re: nursemike]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a mask/gloves so I am safe “virtue signaling”. I have a mask that’s only good to 1.0 micron but is reusable/washable. It can be pinched at the nose bridge and the elastic all around makes for a good fit. It is advertised as being antimicrobial but I don’t really know what that means with regard to COVID-19. That said, it’s better than a bandana or scarf.

Gloves are 9 mil nitrile. When I shop for groceries the staffer at the door gives me a hit of hand sanitizer which should sanitize the outside of the gloves and help stop spreading whatever else the gloves have touched prior to the store. Unless you have a hospital’s/dentist’s budget and can toss nitrile gloves after a single use, hand sanitizer should keep them going longer. PPE is in great demand by professionals now so we civilians need to stretch out what we have.

FWIW

#295564 - 04/02/20 11:47 PM Re: How to use a mask [Re: clearwater]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Is sanitizer safe to use over gloves or does it break down the material the glove is made of? I honestly don't know, that's why I ask.

#295565 - 04/02/20 11:57 PM Re: How to use a mask [Re: Phaedrus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
It seems to be fine on nitrile gloves — I’ve kept reusing that same pair with no ill effects. They are still pliable and fit well — no rips or tears. First sign of deterioration and they get tossed. OTOH I would not try that with Latex gloves. IMO latex gloves aren’t nearly as resilient as nitrile.

#295571 - 04/03/20 12:57 PM Re: How to use a mask [Re: Russ]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
It's interesting to watch the CDC evolution from no public masks, to recommended public masks. Currently the CDC recommends health care workers wear an N-95 fit-tested mask, washable face-shield and non-sterile cover gown, with lots of emphasis on donning and doffing.

Might be more economical and safer to use gloves intended to be reused, along with a washable face shield, and a washable cotton mask for maximum sustainable protection.

#295573 - 04/03/20 01:12 PM Re: How to use a mask [Re: clearwater]
Janysboy Offline
Journeyman

It will help to keep a cloth mask moist.

#295574 - 04/03/20 01:26 PM Re: How to use a mask [Re: clearwater]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Like the simplicity of this DIY face shield.

https://making.engr.wisc.edu/shield/#DIY

#295577 - 04/03/20 03:08 PM Re: How to use a mask [Re: clearwater]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I would prefer that medical professionals get the masks over the general public. Until there is no more mask shortage, I consider it extremely selfish for the general public to be buying up and storing these things for themselves when they could be better used elsewhere. The general public should just stay inside their homes. That will prevent the spread of the virus better than any mask could ever hope to. Leave the masks for those who can't stay at home, those who are out there trying to save you, those who need them more than you do. When the mask shortage is over, fine, THEN go out and get yourself a mask. In the meantime, just stay inside - you'll actually go good for others that way, rather than virtue signalling by going out in public wearing a mask.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.