Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#292320 - 05/20/19 12:39 AM Rehydration packets/powder Ultima
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
My wife and I have been using this 'new' (to us) product... Ultima. Search Ultima Replenisher and it will come up. We get it from amazon. Usual disclaimer.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultima-Hydrating-Electrolyte-Raspberry-Gluten-Free/dp/B01IIGVUQA

We LOVE it!!! they have a bulk container and they have packets. It is GOOD stuff. I got tired of all the sugar in the commercial stuff and how many calories I was taking in....

It's packaging is really good. One packet/bottle. (Or one scoop). We get the raspberry. Haven't tried others yet. Even our sons will drink it and they don't like this type of stuff. Really good to have on hand. Hoping this helps someone.

#292321 - 05/20/19 02:00 AM Re: Rehydration packets/powder Ultima [Re: CJK]
Janysboy Offline
Journeyman

I suspect you can get the same results by drinking water and eating a balanced diet. The military used salt tablets for years, thinking it would help the men stay strong in hot weather. Turned out the tablets did more harm than good. Now they rely on water consumption and salting the food to taste. In hot weather with vigorous exercise, a person may need to drink as much as a quart of water an hour. I served as support corpsman to a Marine Reserve tank company in the early "80's. I went with them to 29 Palms Cal. in August 1980. I found when I drank a quart of water, my skin would grow cool for about 10 minutes. This meant I had resumed sweating. I was always on the verge of heat syndrome. All I did was drink a quart an hour and salt my food. Never got into trouble. BTW, the high temps were in excess of 140 degrees F.

#292322 - 05/20/19 02:25 AM Re: Rehydration packets/powder Ultima [Re: CJK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Especially if exercising, you need water plus electrolytes (not necessarily sugar) either mixed in with the water or provided as food. Training and running marathons, I found that Gatorade was too concentrated; more dilute replacement fluids sat better on the tummy and kept me going.

Dehydration is very insidious, even at somewhat lower temps

#292323 - 05/20/19 01:05 PM Re: Rehydration packets/powder Ultima [Re: CJK]
Ren Online   content
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
As someone that has been prescribed salt tablets because was drinking a lot of water, whilst eating 3 meals a day... definitely recommend not drinking just plain water if drinking a lot.

#292328 - 05/22/19 05:54 PM Re: Rehydration packets/powder Ultima [Re: CJK]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
The sugar is important because it helps the stomach absorb water faster. Especially if you are treating diarrhea, or other severe dehydration, you need the water in your system fast.

Homemade formulas are the cheapest and work just as well.

Steps for Sugar Salt Solution
1. Always wash your hands first.
2. Fill a cup with 250-300ml of water.
3. Add a two-finger pinch of salt to a clean glass of the safest water you have available.
about .60ml. salt to 250-300ml. of water.
4. Taste the drink. If it is saltier than your tears, throw it out and start over. Too much salt is dangerous.
5. Add a palm of sugar – no bigger than your thumb. about 5ml. to salty water.
6. Mix until you cannot see the salt and sugar anymore.
7. Drink slowly. Finish the whole cup or glass.
8. Make and drink another glass after each runny stool.

https://lifewater.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Lifewater-WASHinSchools-Manual.pdf

#292329 - 05/22/19 06:40 PM Re: Rehydration packets/powder Ultima [Re: CJK]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have been under the understanding for a long time that sugary drinks actually aggravate diarrhea instead of helping it.

#292332 - 05/23/19 12:21 AM Re: Rehydration packets/powder Ultima [Re: CJK]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The WHO recipe for ORS contains sugar; I was under the impression that it helped absorption of the electrolytes.

#292334 - 05/23/19 02:56 AM Re: Rehydration packets/powder Ultima [Re: CJK]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Hi,

Not sure i understand the scenario
that requires frequent drinking of oral rehydration solution

Are diarrhea and vomiting so frequent
that the kcal from sugar is a problem?

You can always substitute sugar with flour by weight

#292335 - 05/23/19 12:47 PM Re: Rehydration packets/powder Ultima [Re: CJK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If the issue is maintaining adequate hydration, while working or exercising, simple measures are adequate:

1) drink adequate amounts of water. Do not depend upon thirst as an indication of need for water. Drink before you are thirsty.

You need electrolytes as well as water. They cam come from a normal diet, as well as dishes like soups or drinks. Coffee and tea have a mild diuretic effect.

There are lots of concoctions that can be added to water to supply electrolytes. My personal favorite is Nunn tablets - handy and easy.

Just drinking plain water to excess without electrolytes leads to hyponatremia, a serious condition to be avoided.

#292337 - 05/23/19 07:22 PM Re: Rehydration packets/powder Ultima [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: hikermor
If the issue is maintaining adequate hydration, while working or exercising, simple measures are adequate:

1) drink adequate amounts of water. Do not depend upon thirst as an indication of need for water. Drink before you are thirsty.

You need electrolytes as well as water. They cam come from a normal diet, as well as dishes like soups or drinks. Coffee and tea have a mild diuretic effect.

There are lots of concoctions that can be added to water to supply electrolytes. My personal favorite is Nunn tablets - handy and easy.

Just drinking plain water to excess without electrolytes leads to hyponatremia, a serious condition to be avoided.

This ^ for healthy adults.

For the sick, especially children and the infirm or severe situations like cholera, IV fluids, or if the person can drink, you use WHO Rehydration fluid (similar to Pedialyte or Ricelyte).

It has less sugar than Gatorade. Still need some sugar for fastest digestion and to get patients to drink enough.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.