Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#290995 - 11/02/18 01:56 AM Urban Prep Class at REI
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
https://www.rei.com/event/prepare-for-th...amp;mi_u=296126

Something a little different from the usual rock climbing, kayaking stuff. Looks interesting; I will probably attend.

Of course, this is enlightened self-interest. REI carries a lot of the items you will want on hand when problems arise.

But then, a lot of emergency situations are essentially unplanned and unforeseen camp outs....

#290996 - 11/02/18 06:00 AM Re: Urban Prep Class at REI [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Hey, for free you can't knock it! Might have some good information.

#290998 - 11/03/18 06:47 PM Re: Urban Prep Class at REI [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
REI

Lost their way. All fashion shorts and sunglasses these days. Stuff made in overseas sweat shops. Lots of plastic and virtue signaling. No longer honor warranties. PCB filled catalogs. They haven't much of a clue outside the urban areas, so it makes sense they would be teaching about urban survival. "Where can I find a good gluten free muffin?"

#290999 - 11/03/18 08:28 PM Re: Urban Prep Class at REI [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Oh dear! How harsh!!!As a card carrying REI member for more than fifty years, with a five digit member number(of which I am inordinately proud), I don't totally agree with all your comments, although there are a fair number of non traditional items in the inventory these days.

Most importantly, REI does honor their warranty, as I know from experience. What they have done is put limits on their "forever" warranty, which was being abused. Now the warranty is good for a year only past the purchase date,but it is honored without question IME.

What isn't plastic these days? my most recent purchase was a protective sheath for my venerable REI ice ax. It looks a darn sight more durable than the rubber item it replaces which only lasted thirty years.

My store has a good stock of of the shelf static and dynamic ropes, slings, carabiners, helmets, and harnesses. No ice axes however, this being SoCal. We have SUPs and kayaks, as well as bicycles. A good assortment of tents, sleeping bags, and backpacks. I could equip myself in the local store or any excursion in the local area

The organization contributes to local efforts, including a recent $10,000 grant to an outfit supporting restoration work in the Channel islands NP, among others.

They have definitely broadened their selection to include items that appeal to less than hardened outdoor types, something that has been going on for several years. I call it adapting to reality. At any rate, REI is doing a darn sight better than Sears.

They will let just anyone into their stores. I have recently noticed a few who are clearly not outdoors oriented, but they could still spend money.

REI is not as environmentally conscious as Patagonia appears to be, but they are getting that way - I have observed that some items are designated as "Fair Trade." it is a coop, after all, so members have some influence. Let your voice be heard...

#291000 - 11/03/18 09:46 PM Re: Urban Prep Class at REI [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, REI seems to be more adept at understanding market trends than Gander Mountain and Sears. You probably can't compete against the Amazons and specialtie etailers by just doing outdoors gear. Clothing is one area where a local store will always have an edge over online retailers since a lot of folks want to try on the item for fit and to see how it looks on them.

I might be getting too old for online forums though..."virtue signalling"? I'll have to Google that one.

#291001 - 11/03/18 10:54 PM Re: Urban Prep Class at REI [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Let's say you start out selling really honest to goodness, rugged, rough, red hot outdoor clothing. It is good stuff and you make money and pretty soon you start to see it being worn in casual, non outdoor settings. It will appeal to many more people, who will buy more of your stuff and then it is trendy.

Realizing this larger market, you start selling not so rugged items with a larger audience. Before long you are selling swimsuits, blazers, skirts, and all sorts of other things. It seems to be inevitable, because it isn't just REI. Patagonia peddles a lot of casual, resort wear right alongside their serious outdoor stuff. LL Bean is mostly boutique items now. Even Duluth Trading is drinking the koolaid....

I don't recognize "virtue signalling," either, Phaedrus. But I don't think it is a compliment....

#291029 - 11/08/18 01:10 AM Re: Urban Prep Class at REI [Re: hikermor]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
My understanding is that REI is working in a similar fashion to Patagonia to reduce their environmental impact and improve their supply chain.

Patagonia is by far the leader in these efforts, but REI is far ahead of most other companies.

I’m a huge fan of both!

#291067 - 11/12/18 02:52 PM Re: Urban Prep Class at REI [Re: hikermor]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
From wikipedia:

"Virtue signalling, spelled virtue signaling in the United States, is the conspicuous expression of moral values. The term was first used in signalling theory, to describe any behavior that could be used to signal virtue—especially piety among the religious In recent years, the term has become more commonly used as a pejorative by commentators to criticize what they regard as empty or superficial support of certain political views, and also used within groups to criticize their own members for valuing appearance over action."

"In the mid-2010s, many users on internet forums and social media gave 'virtue-signalling' a pejorative sense when they denounced such empty acts of public commitment to unexceptionable good causes such as changing Facebook profile pictures to support a cause, participating in the Ice Bucket Challenge, offering thoughts and prayers after a tragedy, celebrity speeches during award shows, and politicians pandering to constituents on ideological issues."

#291071 - 11/12/18 08:19 PM Re: Urban Prep Class at REI [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sounds interesting, thanks. Will check it out.

#291556 - 01/05/19 10:49 PM Re: Urban Prep Class at REI [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Has anyone taken this? Any reviews?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.