Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#285514 - 08/20/17 05:24 AM Fishing Line for PSK
Burncycle Offline
Addict

I don't really fish recreationally, so I don't have a whole lot of experience.

When I was thinking of what to add to a PSK re: fishing and food gathering, I've been using braided heavy test line (65 lbs), the line of thought being it could be used for fishing but also for light lashing.

Is there any reason to go with a lighter test monofilament line as well, or should the braided line suffice?

#285518 - 08/20/17 08:52 AM Re: Fishing Line for PSK [Re: Burncycle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Checkout Donny Pavolinni Outdoors on YouTube. Find his fishing pill bottle video.

#285523 - 08/20/17 04:39 PM Re: Fishing Line for PSK [Re: Burncycle]
NAro Offline
Addict

Anywhere I'd have to survive on fish is apt to have pretty small fish. That large line isn't going to work for you. YMMV but my buddy who is a Master Flyfishing Instructor set me up with what he says is what I need: a small roll of fly line tippet (5#mono) and a bunch of tiny hooks and a few jigs. His theory is you can catch a big fish on a tiny hook, but can't catch a small fish on a big one. So tiny hooks and "barely there" line is how I'd go.
I will add: my kit has 80# test spiderwire mono fish line and several treble "snagging hooks" (illegal to use... but if I'm caught... I've been FOUND!). But that's in addition to the small fish kit.

Knowing MY fishing skills though: in a survival situation I'm just as likely to catch a tenderloin as a fish.

#285524 - 08/20/17 05:24 PM Re: Fishing Line for PSK [Re: Burncycle]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
65 lb braid is equivalent to 16 lb mono so it is perfectly usable and will suffice for all freshwater fishing. Also, unlike mono line, braided does not kink nor does it break down from UV rays. The only downside to braid is that it can be easy to cut as compared to mono when the line is snagged or pulled over sharp structures. However this can minimized by adding some fluorocarbon line as a top shot to the braid and the fluorocarbon will be much less visible in the water.

As for the ever lasting debate of small fish = small hooks, you need to define small. Here we fish in the ocean where salmon can weigh up to 30 lbs with 4/0 and 5/0 sized hooks. All too often, we end up hooking much more smaller salmon, flounders and dog fish which can weigh as little as 1 - 1.5 lbs. Same applies to inland trout fishing where some very small trout can be reeled in on a much bigger hook.

In a survival situation, having different combination of hooks, line, lures and spoons that is suited to the fish species in your area is important. Also in a true survival situation, I would not be wasting time standing and fishing with a rod and reel unless the fish catch rate was known to be high as there other ways of fishing that can be much more effective and productive, time wise.

When I have time, I'll post my fishing kit which is based on the species of fish found here.

John Lubbock

#285525 - 08/20/17 07:21 PM Re: Fishing Line for PSK [Re: Burncycle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
This is Donny Pavolini's HoBo Fishing Kit:

https://youtu.be/uX87It_hFtc

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.