The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#284510 - 05/07/17 05:54 PM New EDC LED Solitaire
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Just got a Mag light LED solitaire. (standard disclaimer-no assoc. with Mag light-just a user of them) I have to say I'm impressed. Less than 10 dollars and quite bright with a single AAA! The package said 47 lumens.....wasn't sure 'exactly how bright that would be' for my uses but getting it..... Again....impressed! Can light up the 40 foot driveway easily. Looking forward to running it through the paces. At this point if anyone is looking for something similar..... I do, at this time, recommend it.

I had an ARC light (single AAA) that I loved but at 35 bucks a light was a little pricey. Especially since I had to send it back several times as the aluminum threads kept stripping. Each time it cost me 5 bucks shipping, so it was up to half the price of the light. I finally lost the bulb assembly head so I had been looking for a replacement since.

#284511 - 05/07/17 06:25 PM Re: New EDC LED Solitaire [Re: CJK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I carried a non-LED Solitaire for quite a while. it was extremely useful, if for no other reason that it was handy and available, probably the most useful characteristic of any EDC light.

I note that the only battery specified for the current Solitaire is a AAA alkaline. I certainly hope that it will actually accept Nimh rechargeables - that is the only way to go these days.

#284516 - 05/09/17 06:51 PM Re: New EDC LED Solitaire [Re: CJK]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Is that Solitaire digitally regulated?

#284517 - 05/09/17 08:10 PM Re: New EDC LED Solitaire [Re: clearwater]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
In the Spec tab at http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/comp...flashlight.html, under "Power Management" it indicates "No". Does "Power Management" equate to it being digitally regulated?? I don't know for sure, but I think it does, meaning the Solitaire is not regulated. I think...

If you compare the Solitaire's 47 lumen for 1 hour 45 minutes to a regulated light (in this case a 1xAAA from CountyComm), we see the following:
Quote:
Medium mode, 40 lumens output for up to 7 hours
Low mode, 1.5 lumens output for up to 55 hours
High mode, 145 lumens output for up to 70 minutes
I'll take 40 lumen for 7 hours over 47 lumen for less than 2 hours any day.

#284518 - 05/09/17 09:11 PM Re: New EDC LED Solitaire [Re: CJK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Note the phrase, "up to 70 hours," which is probably dependent upon the type of battery. In any event, a small key chain light like this is going to see only intermittent service -a few minutes at a time. Use it to find your major lights during a sudden power outage, to change the batteries in your main light, or to look in the back of a dark pantry, etc.

Still, you never know - it is good to have as much capacity as feasible....

Edited by hikermor (05/09/17 10:06 PM)

#284519 - 05/09/17 09:20 PM Re: New EDC LED Solitaire [Re: CJK]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I've seen pictures of the internals (I don't currently own a Solitaire) and there doesn't seem to be any regulation mechanism. At this price point and with the LED emitter it has, the light is almost certainly "regulated" by the LED taking its (fairly low) maximum current as long as the battery can supply it.

In other words, digital regulation for a single-mode light that runs a low current wouldn't make any sense.

At this price point the performance is impressive. Maglite has really good warranty service as well.

#284571 - 05/16/17 08:00 PM Re: New EDC LED Solitaire [Re: CJK]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Update on the Solitaire:
I really like it. A lot. It really 'fits' the niche I wanted it for. It is bright enough to REALLY get things done. Easy to hold in my lips without fatigue or discomfort to light what I'm doing.

So far it has been used regularly (and often) and so far no discernible drop in output. Convenient-in its carry and use. Often forgotten that it is there as it is very lightweight. Cost-very nice at 10. Silent operation- Those light that have the 'click on/off' button actually do wake/bother family members when I am trying to remain quiet in early AM or late PM.

Personal 'adaptations'...I use a standard blood tube cover to hold a colored lighting gel over the lens. It gives good 'tactical light' without requiring hard to get (at least not for me) items. Along with the silent op, it allows it use around others without disturbing them.

Personal opinion... seems like a good first EDC light for a kid where you wouldn't be heartbroken (or bankrupt) if it were lost.

#284572 - 05/16/17 09:07 PM Re: New EDC LED Solitaire [Re: CJK]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
It's cool to see another option for small EDC lights. My favorite small lights have been the Fenix E01 and the Olight I3 EOS. Each uses a single AAA battery. The Fenix is just 13 lumens or so with very long run times; the Olight is 90 lumens (with higher power versions available) with throw to rival larger CR123a-powered lights.

Looks like the Mag falls nicely between the two.

#284575 - 05/16/17 09:48 PM Re: New EDC LED Solitaire [Re: CJK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I would nominate the Fenix LD01 and LD02. 01 is a twisty, with three light level (top is 72 lumens. The LD02 is a rear clicker with three levels as well (top is 100 lumens). LD01 is no longer in production, but is still on at Amazon.

The LD02 sometimes turns on in my pocket, but it is no big deal - AAA spares are easy to carry. Both weigh 1 oz with batts and they are there when you need them.

No evident tactical abilities....

Edited by hikermor (05/16/17 09:49 PM)

#284589 - 05/18/17 11:00 PM Re: New EDC LED Solitaire [Re: CJK]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Friends, if we are talking about a small,basic, nearly indestructible, AAA, hard use key chain light, the winner , IMO, is the Fenix E-01., at $11. 13 lumens is more than enough for any keychain light and "find the keyhole or light my way out of the darkened stairway" use for which it is intended.

Run time, a primary consideration for a light used often, but generally forgotten when not in use, is, I believe, a paramount concern. With an alkaline battery the E-01 is reported at ~20+ hours. Mine is loaded with a disposable lithium battery, I've had it and used it for over 2 years.

If you could live with a bigger, somewahat dimer ( but still plenty adequate) light, I'd go with a Gerber Infinity AA. With a bit of tin foil, it gives you the ability to use AAA, as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.