Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#284248 - 04/17/17 04:38 PM A Knotty problem -What are the most useful knots?
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thee are certainly plenty of them out there. But what would you consider the most useful, and therefore the ones you need to know cold, that you can tie behind your back, eyes closed, with rain pouring from the skies... Maximum of three, not counting variations.

I would nominate the figure eight, the clove hitch, and the trucker's hitch as three that are highly useful in a variety of circumstances. A few years ago, my number one choice would have been the bowline and its numerous variations. Over the last few years, the climbing community has been moving away from the bowline toward the figure eight because of its demonstrable greater security.

Obviously, the more knots in your reliable repertoire, the better, and there are always knots that are perfect in some specialized applications, but that are not always best in more general usage (like the bow knots we tie every day when we lace up our shoes).

My choices come from a technical climbing and caving background,along with some nautical experience, and that obviously influences my choices. What are your favs, and why?

#284249 - 04/17/17 05:07 PM Re: A Knotty problem -What are the most useful knots? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The three knots you named are good. A knot rarely mentioned but very useful is the Prusik.

#284250 - 04/17/17 07:09 PM Re: A Knotty problem -What are the most useful knots? [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Overhand knot (and permutations._
On a bight, it is quick, can be done one handed, lays flat used in webbing, and is stronger than a figure eight knot (harder to untie after loading tho)
Tie twice (correctly) and have a square knot
Use in the tail of a rope to backup a bowline
To connect two ropes for abseil (Euro Death Knot)

Edited by clearwater (04/17/17 08:31 PM)

#284251 - 04/18/17 12:16 AM Re: A Knotty problem -What are the most useful knots? [Re: clearwater]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Joining two ropes together:
---
The Zeppelin Bend

End loop:
---
The Anglers Loop

Adjustable loop:
---
The Tautline Hitch. This is certainly not the best sliding loop available, but you said I had to be able to tie it behind my back, with my eyes closed, in the rain!

There's a whole lot of other useful knots, but you limited it to three! Didn't even get into the hitches or stopper knots - maybe you should expand your rules to "five or six knots".

#284253 - 04/18/17 02:59 AM Re: A Knotty problem -What are the most useful knots? [Re: hikermor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
square, surgeon's, bowline

#284255 - 04/18/17 02:14 PM Re: A Knotty problem -What are the most useful knots? [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: haertig

There's a whole lot of other useful knots, but you limited it to three! Didn't even get into the hitches or stopper knots - maybe you should expand your rules to "five or six knots".

Definitely! There are many, many useful knots, just the thing for specialized and unusual applications. I like a bowline on a bight with asymmetrical loops for multi-point anchors or hoisting 1000 pound mammoth skulls out of a pit (real case!). But this is not something i do every day.

I am thinking of knots one knows cold, and can tie in very demanding conditions, when speed is of the essence, and one can't tolerate mistakes or booboos.....

If one has three versatile knots down cold, then definitely expand the repertoire. The sky is the limit, once one has a good foundation.

#284256 - 04/18/17 03:05 PM Re: A Knotty problem -What are the most useful knots? [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: hikermor
If one has three versatile knots down cold...

Good point. You can often substitute knots as well. Say, you have forgotten how to tie that hitch you used to love so much to attach your rope to a tree. Nothing wrong with throwing a bowline around that tree (with a safety overhand or two on the tail end). Not necessarily what a bowline was designed for, but a useful substitution none the less. I'd much rather put a bowline to use like this than to try (and fail !) to remember that fancy hitch I used to know, get it wrong, and fall to my death over a cliff because of an improperly tied knot letting loose.

#284301 - 04/25/17 10:47 PM Re: A Knotty problem -What are the most useful knots? [Re: hikermor]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I did the whole "knot" thing when I got serious about mountain climbing. A long time ago, but I still remember my knots.

I only use about 3-4 of them. It's enough to do everything - pretty much.

Loop In A Rope - Climbers don't use a normal knot, but instead the Figure-8 knot. Easier to untie, after the rope has been stressed.

Webbing - standard knot is the Water Knot. Everyone who works with webbing probably knows this one.

Joining 2 ropes - my most important knot. The Double Fishermans knot. My life depended on this knot so many times, I have lost count. It never failed me.

Clipping to a Carabiner - yes you can use the clove hitch, and it works well.

Have fun.
It's "knot necessary" to know a lot of knots. Just a few that do the job.

Pte

#284303 - 04/26/17 08:31 PM Re: A Knotty problem -What are the most useful knots? [Re: hikermor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
That's a loaded question. My go to knots tend to be the following:

Loop in the end of a rope: Bowline with Yosemite finish
Loop in the middle of the rope: Alpine butterfly loop
End to end bend: Sheet bend or Ashley bend
Slip and grip: Tautline/rolling hitch
Hard tensioning: Truckers hitch with directional figure 8
Slipknot: Double overhand slipknot
Binding knot: Constrictor or versatackle
Stopper knot: Figure 8 or oystermans

Edited by Mark_R (04/26/17 08:34 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.