Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#283808 - 02/20/17 05:45 AM Core temp, cold extremities, sweating
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

My friend is an avid mountain biker, year-round. We were talking about dressing for the cold, and he told me that his hands and feet get freezing cold in the winter, despite wearing quality hand and footwear.

I suggested that his core temperature was too low, and if he kept his head and torso warmer, his extremities would warm up. He disagreed, saying that while biking his core temperature is so warm that he sweats profusely while his extremities freeze. Apparently the guys he bikes with seem to all have the same issue.

I guess I assumed that if you're sweating, that means your core temperature is warm. Maybe too warm.

He says he tends to dress pretty light, and seems to understand layers, etc.

I don't usually do anything as strenuous as he does, but I tend to stay warm outside. If I start to sweat, I remove a layer or ventilate, but my hands and feet tend to still stay warm.

What suggestions do you all have?

Thanks,

David

#283809 - 02/20/17 07:08 AM Re: Core temp, cold extremities, sweating [Re: bigmbogo]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have had a couple of times on a bike where my body was perfectly warm, but my hands were freezing. My daughter experiences the same thing, and she is much younger and more athletic than I am.

We thought maybe it was gloves lacking wind resistance. We recently bought her several pairs of gloves, it was 10 degrees outside, and we went out on the back porch with a carpet dryer squirrel cage fan (very high velocity and high volume of air output) and tested each pair.

Even with the best pair of wind resistant gloves, her hands still get cold (but definitely not as cold as with crappy gloves). The carpet dryer fan test was great for finding the best pair of gloves. The differences in gloves was immediately obvious. All the gloves said they were windproof, but there were highly varying rates of falsehood to those claims depending on the brand/model of glove.

It's not low core temperature that makes your hands cold on a bike. I don't know what makes them cold. Could be that your wrists are bent back as they contact the handlebars and that compromises circulation. Maybe with street bike handlebars (that curve down) you might not see the problem. But with mountain bike horizontal handlebars, I certainly do.

#283810 - 02/20/17 08:39 AM Re: Core temp, cold extremities, sweating [Re: bigmbogo]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Have the same issue on the bike or just running. Head and body sweating like crazy, but hands are cold. Wearing better gloves works for me...

#283811 - 02/20/17 09:02 AM Re: Core temp, cold extremities, sweating [Re: bigmbogo]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Hand/feet warmers? Are there electrically heated gloves/socks? Hey, there are!

#283813 - 02/20/17 11:48 AM Re: Core temp, cold extremities, sweating [Re: bigmbogo]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Hmmm...strange problems. I dontīt bike so canīt say anything about that. But even in winter, with near -20 celsius, I can be outside without gloves after the core temperature has risen and blood flows warm. It takes usually about 15 min of walking to reach that stage. But that is only if there is nearly no wind, of course.

#283817 - 02/20/17 02:01 PM Re: Core temp, cold extremities, sweating [Re: bigmbogo]
Quietly_Learning Offline

I've had the same problem biking in the winter as well. I could easily keep my core warm with light layers, a windproof jacket and the heat generated in my torso and quads by moderately strenuous pedaling.

I believe the answer for cold hands is windchill and hand position.

My winter bicycling specific gloves had a patch on the thumb to wipe off glasses. The wind would blow right through that patch and freeze my thumbs first to the point of pain.

Since my hands were stuck in basically one position holding onto the handlebars, (that allowed quick access to the gears and brakes), there was not much I could do. I tried other gloves I owned but they were worse with the wind.

A quick look at windchill numbers helps show the temperature difference:
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/cold/wind_chill.shtml

For my feet, I found the problem was more that my clipless pedals conducted heat away from my feet. My soles would feel it first at the connection point between shoe and pedal. I could not fit too thick a sock inside my bicycling shoes.

For what to do to keep warm? I would say trying out different gloves and using toe warmers can help. If your friend can find gloves with liners, (that still allow access to the controls), he can slip toe warmers between the layers.

Two things I never tried were over booties and changing out the insoles.

#283818 - 02/20/17 02:04 PM Re: Core temp, cold extremities, sweating [Re: Herman30]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have commuted by bike in fairly cool conditions, and it helps to start out slightly on the cool side, gaining comfort as you exercise. I found that insulating my head, usually a balaclava beneath my helmet, kept everything nice and comfy. Windproof is critical.

#283819 - 02/20/17 02:22 PM Re: Core temp, cold extremities, sweating [Re: bigmbogo]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I use really good gloves made for bicyling in the cold weather and that seems to have a big impact.

#283821 - 02/20/17 03:17 PM Re: Core temp, cold extremities, sweating [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I've only ever used fingerless gloves for bicycling and they would be useless in cold weather. But my bike doesn't like snow/slush/rain or even cold weather for that matter. It complains vociferously when its chain and sprockets get gunked up. wink

Sounds like wind-chill to me with gloves that are good for bike handling but not so much for cold weather at bicycling speeds.

#283824 - 02/20/17 03:44 PM Re: Core temp, cold extremities, sweating [Re: bigmbogo]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I ride an enduro motorcycle that has shields for the hands. That feels much more comfy than riding bikes without those shields (+1 on the windchill
Ration sweat. Proper garment for the upper body and isolating forearms and legs may also help. If you are in a mode to disipate the heat, there may not be enough to heat your hands and feet.
I must admit though that cold hands or feet a rarely a problem for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.