Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#282183 - 09/20/16 12:06 AM Cell phon emergency alerts are outdated?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

#282184 - 09/20/16 12:26 AM Re: Cell phon emergency alerts are outdated? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I would like to see these alerts become more useful, but people will turn them off if they become too frequent.

#282192 - 09/20/16 02:39 PM Re: Cell phon emergency alerts are outdated? [Re: Bingley]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
I think the use of the term "outdated" in the title is misleading. "Outdated" would imply that there is something newer and better that provides the same type of service. If there is, it was not mentioned in the article. The term "lacking" or "needs improvement" would have been more clear.

Here in San Diego County, CA, we have a special app for emergency information including alerts. The alerts are limited to one line on the opening screen, but tapping on them brings up a detailed screen with much more text and links to government sites and related twitter feeds.

There are also several other sections; Planning, Preparing, Disaster Info, Maps, Shelters, Resources, Assistance, and Guidance. It is quite comprehensive. One downside is that people have to download the app so lots of people don't have it. I don't see a solution for that, unfortunately.

#282193 - 09/20/16 04:05 PM Re: Cell phon emergency alerts are outdated? [Re: Bingley]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Here in Anne Arundel County, we have a system called "Code Red" that sends alerts via voice (including land lines, which automatically receive the alerts), text and emails, and can include photos. This seems to cover the "problems" listed in the article. From the County description:

"Residents can sign up to receive alerts via cell phone call, text message, and/or email. Email alerts may contain a picture if pertinent to the situation (i.e. missing person, crime suspect, etc). The County intends to only activate the system in true emergency situations such as;

Security alerts
Hazardous chemical spill or release
Missing persons
Evacuations
Water system concerns
Hazardous weather

Because CodeRED system uses the 911 database, only land-line numbers (list and unlisted) are automatically included in the system. If you have a cellular or Voice over IP number and would like to be notified on that device, or an email notification, you must register those cellular numbers and email addresses. . ."

#282195 - 09/21/16 02:38 AM Re: Cell phon emergency alerts are outdated? [Re: Bingley]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
For the first three items, why not use standard sms/multi media format. 140 characters and pictures or video verses 90. It also reaches most (effectively all?) cell phones.

If they don't at least speak some English, they are a small minority. Worst case, they get someone to read it for them.

For the last item, too much information going to places with questionable need for it.

#282197 - 09/21/16 06:36 AM Re: Cell phon emergency alerts are outdated? [Re: UTAlumnus]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
For the first three items, why not use standard sms/multi media format. 140 characters and pictures or video verses 90. It also reaches most (effectively all?) cell phones.

Well a normal message requires the sender to have the contact details of the user or something the user have to actively do (download a app, send contact information over, etc.)

The cellphone alert is standardized thing on newer phones. In my country it's turned on by default, when you get a phone.

#282201 - 09/21/16 10:59 PM Re: Cell phon emergency alerts are outdated? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I would like to see these alerts become more useful, but people will turn them off if they become too frequent.

I would like to see all the life-and-death stuff came though the same channel instead of the current patchwork of apps and feeds. Wildfires, flash floods, tornado alerts, evacuation notices, etc. all come through different apps. I'd also like to see mandatory WEA service from all mobile providers.

Also, a text only message with the important details and a link to a website for more information seems to be the best solution. In a disaster, mobile bandwidth tends to be overloaded by everybody scrambling for information.

Edited by Mark_R (09/21/16 11:00 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#282202 - 09/21/16 11:07 PM Re: Cell phon emergency alerts are outdated? [Re: Tjin]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I think SMS/multimedia message only takes the phone number. The carrier already has that and knows roughly where it is based on which towers it is connected to.

#282203 - 09/21/16 11:38 PM Re: Cell phon emergency alerts are outdated? [Re: Mark_R]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Also, a text only message with the important details and a link to a website for more information seems to be the best solution. In a disaster, mobile bandwidth tends to be overloaded by everybody scrambling for information.

While this isn't my area of professional expertise, I understand that the carrier sends these broadcast messages once, addressed and routed in a way to reach every device connected to their network via specific cell sites. In other words, the bandwidth that would be used by a multimedia broadcast would be very small.

Even if I'm wrong about that, there are two additional factors to consider. SMS messages (even if they include pictures) use much less bandwidth than calls. Also, mobile carriers use traffic engineering techniques to prioritize messages appropriately.

#282204 - 09/22/16 12:14 PM Re: Cell phon emergency alerts are outdated? [Re: Bingley]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
For as large of an infrastructure as NYC has they should have been able to get the broadcast out.

This technology is not outdated, it is actually up to date. The error literally could be human and someone had composed the message and just not hit send. More realistically the the Message was scheduled and someone had put the wrong dates in. A very human mistake. Bad, but understandable.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.