Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#113403 - 11/24/07 10:59 AM Pilot drinks urine to stay alive
martino910 Offline

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=68&art_id=nw20071124091348394C361760

interesting article...

would have thought there'd be a lot of water sources in the jungle ( well he did say he was injured...)

good on him though.

#113415 - 11/24/07 04:30 PM Re: Pilot drinks urine to stay alive [Re: martino910]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
He was just rescued yesterday. All the physical results aren't in, although I'm sure we won't hear about it if he goes into kidney failure or has liver damage.

And he wasn't dehydrated enough, he felt the need to eat.

Sue

#113498 - 11/25/07 04:08 PM Re: Pilot drinks urine to stay alive [Re: Susan]
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
If he could [censored], he wasn't dehydrated. When dehydrated, the body recirculates urine, and the urge to [censored] shuts down or can be easily overcome. If you [censored], you take water out of circulation. This idea is really a no-brainer.
I am absolutely convinced that "survivors" who drink their own urine have fallen prey to a non-viable "final option" or "alternative" which can ultimately serve as nothing more than a debilitating attempt to make up for the fact that one is mortal (not a closed-system) and perhaps has a weak will to begin with, like sucking on a pebble to create the illusion of extra water in the mouth. Pebble sucking might actually have some benefit though, as it might serve psychologically to stimulate reabsorption from the bladder into the bloodstream, and even as stimulus to keep the mouth closed which would keep the person from losing water via evaporation from the mouth, as well as possibly to slow the person down as he or she attempts to breathe solely through the nose, which might reduce sweating. Either that, or some people are simply uneducated and/or that that education is inacessible to the person who's mind begins to shut down in a survival situation such as dehydration. Quite simply, a survivor drinking his or her own [censored] is literally an ostrich thrusting its head in the sand. The only way to combat dehydration is to increase the amount of water in the body, and urinating causes water loss by evaporation and even by "missing" the canteen. It is much more efficient to keep what water remains in the body by not pissing and not sweating and not breathing with the mouth. It's already there, so why excrete it just to reintroduce it?
On the other hand, to drink someone else's [censored] would increase the amount of water in the body, and might be of some value. Here the only logic is that it is better to not die of thirst than to have a little extra strain on the kidneys.
A fellow survivor would not likely be a suitable [censored] donor (I wouldn't give mine except in certain situations, i.e. loved ones), but a camel might. But, I would probably drink some of the camels' blood if I had that option. I would think that blood would be more thirst quenching than [censored], but I would be interested to see a link to information concerning salt content, etc.

Edited by TQS (11/25/07 04:09 PM)

#113504 - 11/25/07 04:46 PM Re: Pilot drinks urine to stay alive [Re: TQS]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Maybe he believed in urine therapy. There is a group of people in this world who believe urine to be a panacea which can cure any illness, reverse aging, and make you more beautiful.

I think people make assumptions based on the fact that Urine (from a healthy person) is sterile...either that or they've been watching Bear Grylls drink his own wee. It can be proven that drinking (healthy) urine is NOT harmful to your body...as long as you're drinking enough water to counter the salt. What you might read about urine being full of 'poisons' isn't true unless the person expelling the urine is sick (or especially if they have a bladder infection). All that aside, there's absolutely no scientific benefit to ingesting the stuff.

The truth is that the salts and minerals in the urine act like a diuretic. In a person who hasn't had much to drink the urine will be thick and dark containing even more sodium and salts. This is going to cause the person to urinate more and even though urine is mostly water, there will be a net loss of H2O in the system. This is why it's so strongly ill advised in a survival situation. Even if dehydrated diuretics will force your kidneys to make pee stealing from the water reserves in your blood.

One other thing that's usually not considered is eating. Your body needs water to digest food. If you eat and don't drink, you're going to dehydrate that much faster...and if the food is high in sodium or caffeine, it's going to be worse. I recently flipped over a package of my favorite freeze dried hiking food. 2 servings, 500 calories, over 1000mg of sodium per serving. If you eat the whole bag like I do that's almost 100% of your daily intake of sodium in one sitting! I don't buy that brand anymore.

#113727 - 11/27/07 01:04 AM Re: Pilot drinks urine to stay alive [Re: ]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
The SAS handbook I have says, Don't drink it. The brain cells I was born with say don't drink it.
Bear G. drank his on one of his shows one time.....grossed me out. Any more of those episodes and he's blocked from my cable.

People in other countries are known to drink animal blood on a somewhat regular basis. Ill effects???? I don't know.

#113733 - 11/27/07 01:15 AM Re: Pilot drinks urine to stay alive [Re: hiker1]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I believe it's the Masai in Africa who drink a mixture of goat's milk and blood. The milk will dilute the salt content of the blood.

You CAN drink urine or blood, but you need to have water to dilute the effects. By themselves, they are just multiplying the original problem (dehydration) in a survival situation.

It's not going to do any harm to some guy who just watched Bear drink his urine and copies him, when the guy is awash with beer. It's not a survival situation.

Sue

#113740 - 11/27/07 01:35 AM Re: Pilot drinks urine to stay alive [Re: Susan]
JustinC Offline

Loc: New England
When I was in Thailand some years ago, training with the Thai Marines we killed several cobras as part some survival training. They were killed by beheading, then the about 4" of tail was cut off to allow blood to flow freely out, where it could be drank straight from the serpent's neck.

They believed the cobra's blood increased a man's virility. Whether it did that or not I don't know. Anyhow, the taste is not terribly disagreeable, but my concern would be with salt in the blood. As Sue pointed out, some water to dilute it might be necessary.

#113741 - 11/27/07 01:54 AM Re: Pilot drinks urine to stay alive [Re: Susan]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I heard recently the quickest way to rehydrate is to drink cold beer. smile smile smile whistle grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd7HTlkzS28&feature=related

But in a survival situation if it was a choice between Kaliber beer and Urine I might just have to pause for a while to decide. sick

#113770 - 11/27/07 04:48 AM Re: Pilot drinks urine to stay alive [Re: martino910]
CBTENGR Offline

The article says he ate leaves. It doesn't say what kind of leaves. There are plenty of plants that you can get enough water from to survive. I would rather waste the energy chewing on leaves and getting a little water than drinking urine.

#281561 - 07/31/16 09:17 PM Re: Pilot drinks urine to stay alive [Re: martino910]
TAB Offline

Loc: The Redwood Forest
I was TQS at the time, but I haven't been here in many years. I very recently googled something and came across this post which I replied to in 2007. I have been working on a follow-up expanded article which I just finished and put on my blog. I hope it is of some value... whether educational or entertaining: http://ecoculturevillage.org/survivalways/survive-dehydration-drinking-urine-wait/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 516 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.