Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#281051 - 06/12/16 09:59 PM I see a baby bear!
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I went to a friend's cottage this weekend, and got a little nature therapy and a lesson in being bear safe.

I crossed paths with a baby black bear on my walk in the woods today. It took me a few seconds to process what I was seeing, and then I thought "Oh no! Where is, mama." I didn't see her, and the cub was 100 or so yards in front of me, heading perpendicular to my trail. I had been talking to my video camera for a while, so didn't think I'd scare mom. I yelled and spooked the cub. It took off at a run in the other direction, but I was still worried about mama. I backtracked on my trail, a couple hundred meters, to the nearest ,fire road and headed home, blowing my whistle as I went. Never did lay eyes on mama. We notified the neighbours to be cautious.

Phew! Not sure I did the right thing, but I did get outta there safely. So glad I had a whistle and a walking stick. I went minimal on the walk, taking only a whistle, folding knife, bandana and my camera. A ten minute walk from a cottage doesn't usually feel potentially life-threatening.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#281052 - 06/12/16 11:40 PM Re: I see a baby bear! [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My inclination would be doing either exactly what you did, or alternatively -- given the distance, and moving perpendicular to your trail, and being in the opposite direction from safety -- silently turning around and departing.

It's not clear to me that the silent withdrawal would have been better.

#281053 - 06/13/16 06:13 AM Re: I see a baby bear! [Re: bacpacjac]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Along the trail one day a few years ago, near Rocky Mountain Park in Colorado. Mommy was watching us closely, the cubs seemed oblivious. We certainly didn't go any closer - probably 50 yards away in this picture when we noticed what was on the stretch of trail below us. There was a second cub there, but I can't find him in this picture. At least I wasn't stupid enough to walk down there and try to take a selfie with the bears. You wouldn't believe how many idiots around here try to do that exact thing - with bears, moose, elk...

(I'm trying to attach the picture, but I'm not sure if that's going to work. The forums allow "attach file", but it's not showing up when I preview...)

Attachments
along_the_trail.jpg (369 downloads)

#281081 - 06/16/16 04:13 AM Re: I see a baby bear! [Re: haertig]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Try keeping an eye out for bear feces as you walk. It's brown, and has whistles and little bells in it.

#281083 - 06/16/16 05:40 AM Re: I see a baby bear! [Re: brandtb]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Smells peppery too.

#281085 - 06/16/16 11:54 AM Re: I see a baby bear! [Re: haertig]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
Along the trail one day a few years ago, near Rocky Mountain Park in Colorado. Mommy was watching us closely, the cubs seemed oblivious. We certainly didn't go any closer - probably 50 yards away in this picture when we noticed what was on the stretch of trail below us. There was a second cub there, but I can't find him in this picture. At least I wasn't stupid enough to walk down there and try to take a selfie with the bears. You wouldn't believe how many idiots around here try to do that exact thing - with bears, moose, elk...

(I'm trying to attach the picture, but I'm not sure if that's going to work. The forums allow "attach file", but it's not showing up when I preview...)

WOW, Haertig, great pic! I have a hard time coming up with a more dangerous situation than getting caught between her and those cubs.

I love a good nature pic too, but safety first. Always. People can be so dumb! I was so glad I stopped and waited to be sure of what I was seeing before I kept heading down the trail. Who knows what I would have walked into. A scared skunk would have been bad enough.

#281086 - 06/16/16 11:54 AM Re: I see a baby bear! [Re: brandtb]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: brandtb
Try keeping an eye out for bear feces as you walk. It's brown, and has whistles and little bells in it.

LOL!!

#281091 - 06/16/16 02:28 PM Re: I see a baby bear! [Re: haertig]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: haertig
Smells peppery too.

If there's a cannister, you know it's a grizz.

#281292 - 07/10/16 05:26 PM Re: I see a baby bear! [Re: bacpacjac]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
A different approach: if you're a boxer, punch it in the nose. Myself, I would have put my money on the bear. But you never know. It worked this time. Maybe I need to spend some time on a heavy bag.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/nati...7971/story.html

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.