Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#231841 - 09/10/11 07:14 PM Teaching prep & survival classes...
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Running into a problem - How do I teach someone that its good to be prepared before going out in the woods? The problem is no one expects it to happen to them - after all, they've hunted/ canoed/ hiked mt. baldy/ spelunked/gone to the ruins/ sailed the cliffs -- dozens of times before and they've never gotten hurt/ delayed/ lost...

#231845 - 09/10/11 08:04 PM Re: Teaching prep & survival classes... [Re: TeacherRO]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Excellent question. I don't have an answer, but I've run into similar problems with trying to get employees to exercise "situational awareness" when entering and leaving our bank. They don't think it can happen to them. I would relate war stories of the less than bright things I've seen, but it might hijack your thread and no one would believe them anyway.

I really would like to have some ideas on how to get people to take prep seriously.

I've come to the conclusion that until something really bad does happen, or almost happen, people are so safe today that they can't really accept that anything bad will happen to them. The only recourse we have found is something along the lines of "do it this way all the time with these precautions or you can/will be fired." It still doesn't solve the problem, but maybe takes the edge off a bit.

#231847 - 09/10/11 08:48 PM Re: Teaching prep & survival classes... [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
the start of our school year in Florida coincides with hurricane season, and if a convenient storm was not available, I gave two "paper" labs on hurricane preparedness... one on making a plan and identifying and locating important supplies around the home (with some tips)

the other was to design a 72hour "go bucket", based on (2) 5gal buckets... one for supplies, the second for food and water..if it couldn't fit in the bucket, it couldn't go...

the preliminary classroom prep was to introduce two decision making process... the first was to explain the OODA loop for time critical emergencies...the other we used throughout the year, and may be applicable for your task ...it was introduced to us probably 15 years ago at a district inservice, and you may be aware of it

decision making using...list, cluster, and label

(1)the user free thinks without any categorization... [list] on paper a series of events or scenarios.....eg. " what problems do you forsee if a CAT 3 hurricane comes on shore with a 12' storm surge ...in the context to your home?" ... ..around 20 responses makes a good starting point

(2)overview the entire list (I would do a composite list of the entire class), and group [cluster] problems of a similar nature...eg power outage, injury, water damage etc..

(3)draw lines to the paper margin from these identified similar problems, and [label] the best name you can to your cluster groups...these would be your core focus groups

I hope this is useful to you...

Edited by LesSnyder (09/10/11 08:49 PM)

#231857 - 09/11/11 01:09 AM Re: Teaching prep & survival classes... [Re: TeacherRO]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Running into a problem - How do I teach someone that its good to be prepared before going out in the woods? The problem is no one expects it to happen to them - after all, they've hunted/ canoed/ hiked mt. baldy/ spelunked/gone to the ruins/ sailed the cliffs -- dozens of times before and they've never gotten hurt/ delayed/ lost...

Experience is a harsh teacher.

Jeanette Isabelle

#231862 - 09/11/11 04:37 AM Re: Teaching prep & survival classes... [Re: TeacherRO]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
This is easy. Agree to go on a weekend hike with them. Then, when they are sleeping - leave. Oh, and don't forget to take a lot of their stuff. Stay in the area and spy on them. After you get out of jail for reckless endangerment, ask them if they have learned anything in the ensuing five years. crazy

#231866 - 09/11/11 06:38 AM Re: Teaching prep & survival classes... [Re: TeacherRO]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Laugh at them. Baldy isn't exactly big and scary, since you can SEE Los Angeles most of the time. At least, that's probably their mentality.

Go hiking with him. "Twist" your ankle and really foul the hike up. Be snug and cozy in your gear. Let him/her shiver in hers. The next morning, walk out normally. Lesson proven.

#231870 - 09/11/11 07:31 AM Re: Teaching prep & survival classes... [Re: bws48]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Frankly, I don't think anyone with just a modicum of outdoor experience will not have had a close call or two, or will not have been close to someone else's bad experience.

I would review pertinent examples, and point out where better preparations, filing a trip plan, checking the weather report, etc., would have resulted in a better outcome. Don't expect an immediate epiphany and instant agreement with your position, but the notion of better preps will sink in if they are even a tiny bit rational.

I remember when I was a young sprout, I ran across the annual publications of Accidents in American Mountaineering, published by the American Mountaineering Club. It gave me the notion that sooner or later it was going to be my turn in the barrel. in turn I started carrying emergency gear. And, yes, it paid off.

#231878 - 09/11/11 03:45 PM Re: Teaching prep & survival classes... [Re: hikermor]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I disagree that going hiking and leaving your charges alone or faking twisting your ankle are a good idea. Keep it simple. Take an ace bandage and triangular bandage, and bind their arm to their side. If they're right handed, bind their right arm. Then give them an afternoon of coping with that. Or switch things up, take away their daypack, or tent, or rain gear. You should be able to build some curriculum around these scenarios - improvising shelters, striking a match / lighter and heating water. They'll get it then. If not, then paracord a 20 lb weight to the bottom of their foot, and watch them walk out. Some folks just won't get it, most should.

We have card key monitored doorways, everyone swipes their card, and standard protocol is the first person through challenges others to swipe their cards. Security will have ordinary folks follow through doorways, and when they go unchallenged for a swipe, will follow the person to their office, inform them of the policy, and the potential issues for not complying. If they don't get it, they just move up the hallway to the employee's manager. Its the secret shopper technique - if the policy is important, it requires some compliance monitoring.

#231880 - 09/11/11 03:59 PM Re: Teaching prep & survival classes... [Re: TeacherRO]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
after all, they've hunted/ canoed/ hiked mt. baldy/ spelunked/gone to the ruins/ sailed the cliffs -- dozens of times before and they've never gotten hurt/ delayed/ lost...

Ask them if they've ever run into any kind of problem, even if it turned out okay. Ask what decisions they made turned it into a non-problem. Then extrapolate the incident by adding one or two conditions that would be likely to foul up the situation: bad weather, darkness, injury, etc, and force them to think about what they would have done then.

Then use Hikermor's suggestion: "...point out where better preparations, filing a trip plan, checking the weather report, etc., would have resulted in a better outcome."

Emphasize a few incidents where people depended entirely on luck... and point out that some of those people have still never been found... even their bodies.

Sue

#231882 - 09/11/11 04:04 PM Re: Teaching prep & survival classes... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good tips. My feeling is that most SAR situations** come from day hikers in over their heads - they simply didn't think they would be out that long.

( Ok I'm ignoring lost kids and senior ' wander offs' here, but more wilderness sar seems to be day hikers or spur of the moment persons.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ratch, Jeanette_Isabelle), 322 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.