Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#274300 - 02/23/15 08:37 PM Homemade SERE & Survival Kit w/pics...
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Wanted to share a few quick photos of a homemade SERE & survival kit, housed in a Topo Designs small accessory pouch. This is still a work in progress, with items that need to be added (Kevlar cordage, snare wire, fish hooks, etc.). The idea is that this kit will be layered with other items carried, so it's not really meant to be completely stand-alone. I haven't completely decided about including any sharps yet -- as there are already several as EDC.

Flickr album link @ https://www.flickr.com/photos/26438889@N08/sets/72157650992532671/

#274301 - 02/24/15 01:56 PM Re: Homemade SERE & Survival Kit w/pics... [Re: cedfire]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
You can put a little scotch tape on the contacts of your spare battery to save some room.

I have two methods I've used to prevent accidental activation of a Bic: one is a zip-tie exactly the width to fit underneath the gas button, cut off. The other is a short piece of relatively-large diameter shrink tubing, shrunk over the top of the lighter. Either way it prevents accidental loss of fuel while still being something you can remove in the field.

Does this kit assume that you have something to carry water in? There are plastic bags that hold water securely and fold-down very small that you might consider.

What's your use case for the lockpicks? Some places you risk arrest by carrying them, even where there is no illegal intent.

#274302 - 02/24/15 03:41 PM Re: Homemade SERE & Survival Kit w/pics... [Re: cedfire]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Great suggestions, thanks!

Still need to find some O-rings for the Bic, thanks for reminding me! I've used that zip-tie approach before, but as this kit might get opened up more often, I would like to have something that can be replaced after use.

Usually I've got a water bottle with me wherever I go, but I might see about adding a small Platypus or Vapur collapsible bottle to the larger backpack, or else one of those small zippered water storage bags.

The picks are for educational purposes. grin Plus, not too worried about a stop 'n' frisk where I am.

#274306 - 02/24/15 05:59 PM Re: Homemade SERE & Survival Kit w/pics... [Re: cedfire]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Interesting kit. Hard to comment on the contents because you know best what you're likely to need. But - assuming there is an expected need to get in or out of locked places (hence the lockpicks) - you could add a small prybar, which might work better in many situations. There are already plenty of mini prybars on the market, or you could make your own (a modified tire iron or the like). It is a good tool to have, mine has already saved the day on several occasions.

Also, I don't know what your EDC includes at this point. You said you do carry a few sharps. But I would add a small multitool to the SERE kit if you don't carry one already. Maybe something small like the Leatherman Squirt. Doesn't look like much but can be very handy.

#274314 - 02/25/15 02:49 AM Re: Homemade SERE & Survival Kit w/pics... [Re: cedfire]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Are you planning to carry this on person or in a pack.I consider a pack a large survival kit in itself.It's a kit you can get separated from.Will this go in a cargo pocket or other?

BOATMAN
John

#274317 - 02/25/15 07:57 AM Re: Homemade SERE & Survival Kit w/pics... [Re: cedfire]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

It's wilderness with a little splash of urban (The lockpicks) so the intended use is not really clear. Feedback works a lot better if you tell what it's supposed to be used for.

#274322 - 02/25/15 07:46 PM Re: Homemade SERE & Survival Kit w/pics... [Re: cedfire]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Note that the acronym "SERE" means Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape.

Therefore, the title of this thread could be translated as "Homemade Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape & Survival Kit"

-We bring you this courtesy message, brought to you as a courtesy by the Department of Redundancy Department. smile

#274323 - 02/25/15 09:52 PM Re: Homemade SERE & Survival Kit w/pics... [Re: chaosmagnet]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
What's your use case for the lockpicks? Some places you risk arrest by carrying them, even where there is no illegal intent.

Just disguise your lockpick set.. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1EXRw-ENS8

#274326 - 02/26/15 02:51 AM Re: Homemade SERE & Survival Kit w/pics... [Re: AKSAR]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Note that the acronym "SERE" means Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape.

Therefore, the title of this thread could be translated as "Homemade Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape & Survival Kit"

-We bring you this courtesy message, brought to you as a courtesy by the Department of Redundancy Department. smile

Good catch! Oops, not enough java that day. grin

#274327 - 02/26/15 03:08 AM Re: Homemade SERE & Survival Kit w/pics... [Re: cedfire]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Here is my daily pocket EDC:

Beyond that, there's the EDC pack (either Goruck Bullet at10L, or else TAD Litespeed at 22L capacity). Here's a somewhat recent pic of what is carried. There has been some movement & changes since then, but it gives a good rough idea:

https://flic.kr/p/jnyvci

So I see this small SERE kit as boosting the capabilities of what is carried on person, and also what is housed in the pack. Overall, the pack contains a mix of urban and wilderness gear, with some snivel gear and daily use items thrown in.

Edited by cedfire (02/26/15 03:11 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 471 Guests and 198 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.