Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#272721 - 11/05/14 07:59 PM a couple anecdotes on backup navigation gear
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Here's a couple accounts on the value of backup navigation gear.

- I was running an orienteering course that had a remote start. You signed out from the main registration table then walked about 1 mile to a remote start point that had the electronic timing system start/finish. Before starting from the remote point, I needed to take off my wind shell so without thinking I laid down my map and thumb compass amongst the thick layer of fallen leaves. It's just for a couple of seconds, right? I stowed the jacket, retrieved my map... and could not find the compass. I spent over 10 minutes looking for it and it could not have been more than a couple feet from me, but it was gone forever in those leaves. Luckily I always bring a spare compass, so I soldiered on with it. Lesson learned.

- Today I read in this trip report (sorry, it's behind a paywall) about a team set to trek in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. They had a good, detailed map but:

Originally Posted By: article
The Spotted Bear River was a "bear" to cross, the water was way over my knees and the bottom was slippery. We crossed as a team with one moving while the other stood still as an anchor...

When we got out I realized our nice $11.99 Cairn Trail Map, complete with trail notes written all over it, had washed out of my cargo pocket. It looked like my little act of carelessness was going to seriously mess with our trip. Fortunately Morgan didn't strangle me, possibly because I was carrying the bear spray or possibly because I was the one driving him back to the airport later... I began considering a 75 mile wilderness trek with no map and a deadline to get Morgan back to the airport in five days (and a limited supply of Oreos). Morgan saved the day (sort of) when he said he had a FS map of the area. It wasn't much of a map really, it showed the big rivers and trails and that was about it, no contour lines or anything detailed. Well we figured as long as we stayed on the trails we'd be okay.

They managed to complete their trip but suffered mightily by not being able to plan for the topography to come. The simple forest service map was just enough to get by.

I always trek with a spare map, but the usual application for it is as a gift to those I come across who have a poor map, or sometimes no map at all.

#272723 - 11/05/14 09:14 PM Re: a couple anecdotes on backup navigation gear [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Ah yes.....FS maps! Years ago, you usually had the choice of USGS topos which either dated from the 1930s or more recent works from aerial photometry which did not show the trail system accurately at all. The FS maps at least showed the trails accurately and were often more useful than the topos. Generally you knew the country was rough enough that it would be uphill both ways...

#272724 - 11/05/14 09:20 PM Re: a couple anecdotes on backup navigation gear [Re: hikermor]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Generally you knew the country was rough enough that it would be uphill both ways...

... and we were grateful! grin

#272725 - 11/05/14 11:40 PM Re: a couple anecdotes on backup navigation gear [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
ATN Offline

Speaking of compasses, what ones do you use? I like the old style Military one but would be willing to learn on a different one if there was a good reason...

#272727 - 11/06/14 12:52 AM Re: a couple anecdotes on backup navigation gear [Re: ATN]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

For land navigation, especially in hilly country with distinguishing landmarks (why would you spend time anywhere else?), almost any compass, notably any of the models featuring a base plate, will do, especially if you are only navigating and not drawing a map.

#272728 - 11/06/14 01:46 AM Re: a couple anecdotes on backup navigation gear [Re: ATN]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: ATN
Speaking of compasses, what ones do you use? I like the old style Military one but would be willing to learn on a different one if there was a good reason...

Popular question on this forum over the years.

I carry the Suunto M-3D Leader Compass as my main compass. For backup, I carry the Suunto A-10 Compass

See these threads for a lot of compass info:

Compass Question

Recommendation for a decent compass

Button Compass -- Thoughts and Recommendations

Compasses

Back up Compass

John Lubbock

#272730 - 11/06/14 02:15 AM Re: a couple anecdotes on backup navigation gear [Re: Teslinhiker]
ATN Offline

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: ATN

Popular question on this forum over the years.

I carry the Suunto M-3D Leader Compass as my main compass. For backup, I carry the Suunto A-10 Compass

See these threads for a lot of compass info:

Compass Question

Recommendation for a decent compass

Button Compass -- Thoughts and Recommendations

Compasses

Back up Compass

Thank you for the information.

#272731 - 11/06/14 03:53 AM Re: a couple anecdotes on backup navigation gear [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Yeah, maps are the unsung heros of navigation.

When I was young and dumb(er) I went on a trip through the Boundary Waters (northern MN) with a small group (3 canoes, 2 per canoe) and had a blast. It wasn't until maybe 5-10 years later that it dawned on my that only one person in the group knew the route and carried the map. I couldn't recall if I carried a compass with or not. Anyway, in hind sight that was really a risky move.

In my older years I've become kind of a map & compass geek. I think it was in one of my favorite books on the topic (The Essential Wilderness Navigator: How to Find Your Way in the Great Outdoors) I found some great advice. Something like ... the key way to not get lost is to always know where you are on the map. Makes sense.

I'll second the preference for the Suunto M3 Leader baseplate compass. Its my go-to compass. I only use compasses that have adjustable declination - set and forget. I purchased and tried a good Cammenga lensatic military style compass, but without adjustable declination I still prefer a good baseplate compass.

I have one of those fancy Brunton Eclipse mirrored compasses and like it a whole lot - great for sighting, but I and others have had problems with bubbles forming in the capsule. Each time they fixed/replaced them at not cost, so kudos to them. Brunton has a new line of compasses that I have no experience with. I like the company - they brought all production back to the US, but ...

In addition to using the map and compass together I strongly recommend folks learn to use the map and compass along with their GPS. know how to find the current magnetic declination (just Google it). Learn to use UTM coordinates (Maptools.com) on a map. Learn how to set the compass and GPS to use true north so the bearings match each other.

#272733 - 11/06/14 02:28 PM Re: a couple anecdotes on backup navigation gear [Re: KenK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

"In addition to using the map and compass together I strongly recommend folks learn to use the map and compass along with their GPS. know how to find the current magnetic declination, etc."

I agree completely with this. One additional skill - learn and use indicators in the night sky, like the North Star, Orion's Belt,etc. They are constant, and are not affected by ore deposits and other sources of local variation. Hopefully there won't be too many clouds.....

The more arrows in your quiver, the better off you are.

#272739 - 11/07/14 04:34 PM Re: a couple anecdotes on backup navigation gear [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

A similar thing happened to me on a climbing trip years ago. My companion consulted his compass and announced our heading - SSE. It was not yet dawn and I was referencing the North Star - we were heading due East. We were in lava flows (this was Picacho Orizaba, one of the big Mexican volcanoes) and I assume the compass was off because of iron content....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.