Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#270918 - 07/21/14 06:04 PM Death in Death Valley
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

British Actor Dies in Death Valley

I was recently in southern Nevada with some students, and I took them to Death Valley, a week after this actor's body was found. I saw the report the day before we went there, so it was interesting to see the reaction of my students to the article the day before we went to the same area.

He evidently had no water or other survival equipment, was alone, and nobody knew where he had gone. We went to this particular spot, and there is a great deal of traffic in the area, and visibility of the high ground from two different roads. A very little preparation could have saved his life. Water, signaling materials, another person accompanying him, or a plan left with a friend could each have made a difference.

#270927 - 07/21/14 07:57 PM Re: Death in Death Valley [Re: gonewiththewind]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

But that would require common sense.There's not much of that out there theses days. Every year here hunters and hikers get lost because they aren't prepared. I have a few daypacks rigged with old gear, rations and water bottles for the nieghbor kids to use anytime they want. They're supposed to leave a note with where they're going, with who and return time when they take one. Most don't though.

#270944 - 07/22/14 11:15 AM Re: Death in Death Valley [Re: gonewiththewind]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Montanero
He evidently had no water

How odd. Everything I´ve read about Death Valley tells me that it is a furnace. So going without water sounds incredibly stupid. Of course the story is lacking all the details, so who knows what happened.

#270947 - 07/22/14 03:46 PM Re: Death in Death Valley [Re: gonewiththewind]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Sad story to be sure, but likely preventable. Latest news reports say the cause of death was from heat stroke, per the coroner. It sounds like he was found near Zabriskie Point, which is a very popular and scenic spot for photo ops and day hiking. Been there myself (though in winter), and the parking lot was packed, even in the early morning hours.

No water + desert = bad idea.

Edited by cedfire (07/22/14 03:46 PM)

#270952 - 07/22/14 05:00 PM Re: Death in Death Valley [Re: gonewiththewind]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I didn't see anywhere in the news article that the actor had no proper equipment or water. Where are we getting this information? Also, after searching around, I didn't find an article that says the coroner's report is out. They all quote the same source saying it's probably heat stroke, though they're waiting on the coroner.

#270953 - 07/22/14 05:23 PM Re: Death in Death Valley [Re: gonewiththewind]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I talked to a park ranger near the site where the body was found, and this ranger was there on the day they recovered the body.

When I was at the site where they found him, there were many tourists hiking in the area with nothing but one water bottle, in shorts, sandals, some with hats. It was 116 degrees F, clear sky and very strong sun. The arroyos in the area are very steep and one could easily stumble or slip into one. There would be no visibility from the observation point into the bottom of most of them, so without the ability to signal it is unlikely someone would see you from where most of the tourists were. The same scenario could play out again very easily.

#270994 - 07/24/14 06:56 PM Re: Death in Death Valley [Re: gonewiththewind]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Accidents happen and mistakes get made, but you would think having the word "Death" in Death Valley would make people prepare a little more beforehand. shocked

#271041 - 07/28/14 01:29 AM Re: Death in Death Valley [Re: gonewiththewind]
Pete Offline
Veteran

that's just tragic.

the problem is the overwhelming HEAT and the lack of shade. There are no trees. there is no place to escape the sun.

I was caught once in similar conditions. I have PLENTY of liquids and Gatorade. it almost didn't matter. It is possible for the body's defense mechanisms to be overwhelmed by heat loads ... you get faint, thinking gets muddy, and its a downward spiral. Fortunately, I got my truck un-stuck and got the heck out of the desert. NEVER AGAIN!!

cheers,
Pete

#271045 - 07/28/14 01:56 PM Re: Death in Death Valley [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It's not just Death Valley...

"Arches National Park (UT)
High Temperatures Cause Series Of Heat-Related Emergencies

The park experienced a series of heat-related medical emergencies involving seven visitors and one employee within a period of just over 24 hours last weekend. High temperatures both days were in the 100 to 104 degree range. Of this total, three were taken by ambulance to a local hospital and a fourth was flown to another hospital in Grand Junction. The remaining four were treated and released.

Just before 2 p.m., on Saturday, July 12th, rangers received a report of a woman having a heart attack on the Delicate Arch viewpoint trail. The first rangers to arrive were unable to find her on the trail, but were soon flagged down by the occupants of a vehicle near Wolfe Ranch. Two men inside who’d just come off that trail were suffering from heat exhaustion. They were treated by park personnel and Grand County EMS.

Around 8:30 that evening, a report was received of an unconscious man near Delicate Arch. Park, Grand County SAR and Grand County EMS personnel responded, hiking a mile and a half up from the trailhead. The man was treated for heart issues arising from heat stroke throughout the rescue and litter carryout. He was taken to Moab Regional Hospital

EMS incidents resumed the following afternoon when rangers received a report of an unconscious man near Delicate Arch. Park and Grand County personnel again responded, treated the man on scene, and littered him out to the trailhead. He refused further treatment and transportation to the hospital.

While the above rescue was in progress, an interpretive ranger preparing for a guided hike reported coming up an unconscious man in the Fiery Furnace parking lot. The responding ranger found an incoherent man with tingling in his arms and legs. A woman in the car was suffering from severe headache and cramping. Both were taken by ambulance to the hospital.

A third EMS emergency was reported while the above incidents were underway. Around 4:30 p.m., the same ranger who’d called in the above incident was leading the guided hike when a visitor collapsed. The ranger reported that the woman was unconscious and that she could not obtain a radial pulse. EMS personnel who were still in the Fiery Furnace parking lot headed down the trail. The woman was assessed and found to be suffering from heat stroke. She was flown by helicopter to St. Mary’s Hospital in Grand Junction.

Finally, at the conclusion of the Delicate Arch carryout, one member of the park SAR team was treated on scene for heat exhaustion."

While many visitors to parks are savvy, a certain percentage are totally clueless about hazards and routine precautions. The range from well equipped to zilch is amazing.

#271046 - 07/28/14 04:39 PM Re: Death in Death Valley [Re: gonewiththewind]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Also, maybe don't go in Summer.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.