#268723 - 03/31/14 11:42 AM A Bad Result
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
from the NPS Morning Report:

Zion National Park (UT)
Noted Climber Killed In BASE Jump

On the morning of March 23rd, Sean Leary, a well-known and accomplished climber and BASE jumper, was reported missing by his wife after failing to return home to California from a trip to the park.

Investigators soon discovered that Leary had planned to BASE jump from the top of West Temple in a wing suit on the evening of March 13th, intending to fly the notch between West Temple and the Three Marys, which are east of West Temple.

Rangers working with the Grand Canyon helicopter located Leary’s remains on the north side of the Three Marys approximately 300 feet below the summit on the afternoon of March 23rd. A recovery was not attempted due to the strong crosswinds mixing near the ridgeline. Based on favorable weather forecasts, rangers instead planned a recovery effort for March 25th utilizing Grand Canyon’s helicopter.

Two rangers were short-hauled to top of the Three Marys and rappelled to Leary’s location for the accident investigation. Leary’s remains were then long-lined from the scene and the rangers were short-hauled from the summit.

Leary held the speed record for climbing the nose of El Capitan in Yosemite and interest in the climbing community was high. Several of Leary’s friends independently climbed Gentleman’s Agreement, a 5.13b, 900-foot climb up the Three Marys on March 24th and fixed lines to the summit. Four of Leary’s friends with climbing and NPS rescue experience joined rangers to form a raising team on March 25th in case the helicopter operation was not possible.

Although BASE jumping is not permitted in the park, this was the second such fatality to occur in Zion within the last six weeks. The first occurred at Mount Kinesava and was reported in the February 24th edition of this publication. A third fatal BASE jump this winter occurred at Grand Canyon and was reported in the February 16th edition.

#268738 - 03/31/14 06:14 PM Re: A Bad Result [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sorry to hear. BASE jumping falls under ridiculously dangerous.

#268750 - 04/01/14 08:42 AM Re: A Bad Result [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I guess I'm incapable of "getting" the rush some people get from doing dangerous/foolish/illegal things. I feel worse for his wife; presumably she didn't sign up for that crap. Still, sorry to hear about it. I'm glad no one was injured during recovery of the body as well.

#268755 - 04/01/14 12:49 PM Re: A Bad Result [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I get it. It's fun to do stuff - like a big kid. The jumping isn't the problem, it's the sudden stop at the end.

And, as for his wife, chances are she knew about it well in advance. I'd hazard a guess she does it with him, or other similar endeavors. These X-game/outdoors types tend not to marry the "I'm married and I can let myself go" types.

On the flip side, they found the body quick, which takes a lot of the urgency and danger out of the equation. If they have to stand down for a day or two due to poor conditions, no big deal. Always worse when the SAR team takes injuries trying to help others out of their situations.

Edited by MDinana (04/01/14 12:51 PM)

#268756 - 04/01/14 12:59 PM Re: A Bad Result [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
RIP.

There's lots I feel like saying, but none of it is good. I'll leave it there.

#268797 - 04/03/14 01:53 AM Re: A Bad Result [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I am a recovering adrenaline junky. Used to be a fanatical skydiver, and have done some base jumping. It is a LOT of fun!

#268802 - 04/03/14 02:56 AM Re: A Bad Result [Re: hikermor]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I twice discovered my own mortality some time ago, one by my own hand--one not--and was fortunate enough to live through both nights. Live your life to the fullest: no one else can do it for you. Be mindful of the ones you might leave behind.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 386 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.