Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#249097 - 07/27/12 07:46 PM jamming or shutting off GPS signals
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

In the past I've seen concerns about wide-scale GPS jamming (not just localized tampering), and also that the government might turn off the signal. I didn't pay that much attention since I'd never heard anything about it actually happening over a large area. Granted the military could reinstate selective availablity (SA), the 100 meter +/- error. And while the military has its own encryped super-accurate GPS signal (accessible only to special government receivers) they still needed the civilian signal in order to jump on to the secure signal; no way they would obliterate the civilian signal. So I blew off the whole GPS jamming/blackout 'threat'.

Well, a few things have changed.

1) Lyle Brotherton is the author of The Ultimate Navigation Manual. In the book he cites specific events where the GPS signal was purposely jammed by the government in Britain. They aren't always secretive about it either; he says the UK government posts warnings well ahead of time that the GPS signal will be weak or lost in certain geographic areas while they test their jamming protocols; here's an example. Lyle's book and website are excellent, by the way.

2) The US military has developed a modernized GPS capability in which the encrypted GPS signals are available directly to the government-only receivers, with no need for the civilian signal. Thus a significant barrier to blacking out the civilian signal is removed.

3) Wired Magazine has a report describing new GPS satellites whose signal is harder to jam, but it makes no mention of the military's government-only signal capability. At least the article has a really cool photo of a GPS satellite. At first I thought it was a candy machine from Willy Wonka's factory... grin

#249103 - 07/27/12 10:51 PM Re: jamming or shutting off GPS signals [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Europe is working on Galileo and Russia has GLONASS. I imagine that future nav devices will be able to use all three. However, it's hard to imagine that any combination of those systems would be especially difficult to jam or otherwise disable for a modern military.

#249162 - 07/29/12 08:28 AM Re: jamming or shutting off GPS signals [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Jarvis Offline
Stranger

GPS III satellites no longer have the Selective Availability feature.

#249171 - 07/29/12 04:38 PM Re: jamming or shutting off GPS signals [Re: Jarvis]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Jarvis
GPS III satellites no longer have the Selective Availability feature.

No longer have the capability, or merely have the SA turned off?

#249181 - 07/29/12 07:15 PM Re: jamming or shutting off GPS signals [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Jarvis Offline
Stranger

I'm not privy to any inside information but I understand from what I read that the feature is not present on the latest satellites. According to an official US government statement at gps.gov
Quote:
The U.S. Government also maintains the capability to prevent hostile use of GPS and its augmentations while retaining a military advantage in a theater of operations without disrupting or degrading civilian uses outside the theater of operations

Localized jamming and spoofing by US, foreign and non-state actors is always possible, as has been recently reported in the online technical media.

There is a website which for us users might be useful: it's designed for pilots to check forecast gps disruptions prior to flight, but I imagine it might be of interest to ground-based gps users too.

http://www.raimprediction.net/

I expect that when the UK military plan gps jamming activities they coordinate with the CAA and relevant notams are issued to pilots well in advance. I would be surprised if was anything other than announced months ahead,

Edited by Jarvis (07/29/12 07:19 PM)

#249183 - 07/29/12 07:40 PM Re: jamming or shutting off GPS signals [Re: chaosmagnet]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Europe is working on Galileo and Russia has GLONASS. I imagine that future nav devices will be able to use all three. However, it's hard to imagine that any combination of those systems would be especially difficult to jam or otherwise disable for a modern military.

Jamming is super easy if you can physically locate a powerful radio transmitter where you need to jam. Just pump out lots of radio noise at the right frequency and no one can make out the relatively faint GPS signals above the clutter...

#249184 - 07/29/12 07:48 PM Re: jamming or shutting off GPS signals [Re: MostlyHarmless]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Come to think of it, spoofing the GPS signal shouldn't bee too hard, either. You know where the satellites will be at any given time, and you can calculate what the true signal will look like. Blocking the "true" signal with your spoofed version is a question of getting the right antenna and transmitter close enough to the area of interest.

I don't know any details (and anything interesting would probably be classified anyway), but I do know this is one area where the military has active research going on. I would also hazard a guess that systems less vulnerable to spoofing would be pretty high on the military Christmas wish list.

#249189 - 07/29/12 09:18 PM Re: jamming or shutting off GPS signals [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I seem to remember Dealextreme used to sell an L1 (1560-1580 Mhz)and L2 (1217-1237 Mhz) GPS Jammer i.e. for both the Military encrypted and Civilian Channels for about $30. Expanding the size of the jamming bubble just depends on the RF microwave power of the jamming antenna.

I have a Model:G30 Cell Phone and GPS Jammer which blocks 850-970Mhz CDMA/GSM 1560-1580Mhz L1 GPS and 1805-1930 Mhz DCS/PHS with 3 handy SMA microwave connectors which can be fed to tuned microwave Amplifiers.

It does a nice job at blocking GPS and older GSM 2 and 2.5 cellular phones . Once folks realise how easy it is to block GPS signals they begin to appreciate old school navigation. wink

L1 Spoofing is relativity easy as well as the GPS signal format is available on line.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pubs/gps/sigspec/gpssps1.pdf

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (07/29/12 09:22 PM)

#249193 - 07/29/12 10:30 PM Re: jamming or shutting off GPS signals [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
^ Agree it's not hard (or expensive!) to unselectively jam GPS. Note I don't address legality. smile It especially helps that the actual useful signal is below the noise floor to start with.

#249194 - 07/29/12 10:52 PM Re: jamming or shutting off GPS signals [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Jarvis Offline
Stranger

Interesting paper - not classified - on gps spoofing:
http://www.syssec.ethz.ch/research/ccs139-tippenhauer.pdf

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.