The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#263363 - 09/07/13 10:18 PM Online Review of the SOL Origin survival kit
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
I stumbled across this March 2013 review of the "SOL Origin" survival kit at Overland Tech and Travel.

It seems to be a fairly thorough and thoughtful review.

http://www.overlandexpo.com/overland-tec...sol-origin.html

#263376 - 09/08/13 05:04 AM Re: Online Review of the SOL Origin survival kit [Re: rafowell]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Lol, fun read. Nice to see someone call out these survival kits for what they really are.

#263377 - 09/08/13 05:46 AM Re: Online Review of the SOL Origin survival kit [Re: rafowell]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Hahaha! Nice! It seems that AMK has lost their way a bit. I don't know the specifics of their deal with Doug to manufacture and market the original PSP, but that kit was vastly better than the newer SOL offering. The appear to be succumbing to the need to continually have "new" products out, even when those products are interior to what they've already done.

While we're picking on them anyway, what's with the plastic box? Like the reviewer I was baffled when I first saw it. Sure it looks cool/tacticool but having the most essential gear on the outside is really idiotic IMOHO. It does seem very likely to be lost and not available when you most need it.

The most egregious issue appears to be ditching the wonderful original Spark-Lite. They must have felt the need to save $.50 was more important than having a reliable means to make fire. I haven't tried the new sparker but all the reviews I've seen have reported that it was cheap and not very effective.

Which brings us full circle to the PSP. Most of us have probably noticed that there's room in the pouch to add a few items. I put some chlorine dioxide tabs in there along with a better cutting tool and extra tinder. Anyone considering the SOL kit would be better served by getting the PSP instead, and then adding a couple items if they desire.

#263378 - 09/08/13 06:21 AM Re: Online Review of the SOL Origin survival kit [Re: rafowell]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Yep I'm not really a fan of the fancy new SOL kits except for the Scout offering. The scout seems to cover the basics at a reasonable cost.
Still I wish they would not waste money on the fancy almost useless
dry bag they pack it in. IMO put the contents in a plain zip bag and leave room for owner additions or use a bag larger enough to actually use as a water bag. Save money, lower price point and or offer better components.

Now after reading the review I wonder if anyone who knows how to use a
spark wheel lighter has compared the new one to the original, the tinder
seems to be the same.

Personally I prefer the BSA spark lite but Doug had good reasons for selecting a spark wheel type so how do they compare new vs old?

Edited by frediver (09/08/13 06:25 AM)

#263382 - 09/08/13 08:55 AM Re: Online Review of the SOL Origin survival kit [Re: rafowell]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I haven't tried the new but I love the old. FWIW I also have the Survival Spark from TAD (all brass) and a couple of the aluminum versions of the Spark-Lite. All of them work well. The square shaft of the latter is easier to grip than the round shaft of the TAD.

The big advantage of this type of device is that it uses only one hand. Thus you can use the other to position tinder or block the wind. The Blast Match is also good but bulkier and more expensive. No matter what else I carry I also have a Firesteel on me, too.

#263384 - 09/08/13 01:44 PM Re: Online Review of the SOL Origin survival kit [Re: rafowell]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I always thought this kit was a bit gimmicky.

Since we are on the subject, does the metal Spark-Lite provide an advantage over the plastic one?

http://www.fourseasonssurvival.com/Spark...ght_p_1379.html

Jeanette Isabelle

#263387 - 09/08/13 04:02 PM Re: Online Review of the SOL Origin survival kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
The metal Sparklite has the advantage of replacing the flint.This means one can PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!I have a titanium one from VARGO.It clips perfectly on the back of my SAK Farmer.BUT!It is a pain in the rear to change the flint.This is sitting at a table with proper tools in my house.To do so in the field is a joke.I have given up on it.On the other hand the metal SPARKLITE has a muck easier design.It does need an Allen wrench though.If one would use a screw eye of the same threading it isn't the case.The metal Four Seasons Spark-Lite is on my wish list.....

BOATMAN
John

#263390 - 09/08/13 07:42 PM Re: Online Review of the SOL Origin survival kit [Re: rafowell]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The metal one is a little more robust, although the plastic version is by no means flimsy. The replaceable flint is nice.

#263393 - 09/08/13 09:37 PM Re: Online Review of the SOL Origin survival kit [Re: rafowell]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Looks like the most special agent Joe 90 Personal Survival Kit is more fashion than over form or utility! wink

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/08/13 09:37 PM)

#263400 - 09/09/13 11:56 AM Re: Online Review of the SOL Origin survival kit [Re: rafowell]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
The more I think about it, the less I like these kind of kits.

I think they are mostly marketing gimmicks.

The tiny blades any of them have are at best difficult to use for anything in the woods, especially if it is cold and your fine motor skills are off.

A $2 poncho will do a lot to keep you less wet, and more alive. It's understandable why they are not included, as they can take up a fair amount of volume. Even a 99 cent space blanket will keep most of the wind and water off you.

The fire starting means most have in them tend to be minimal, which usually means they are going to be difficult at best to use under field conditions.

IMO, snaring and fishing equipment is way down the list of things you need to survive. Not even on my list. If you are cold and wet because you have no $2 poncho, just how are you supposed to be fishing? And what good would it do you anyway?

Compass, whistle, and mirror are good. I don't think you need to get real elaborate with them. A $1 button compass will point you in the general direction you want to go, and most times that is quite adequate. A $1 aluminum whistle will work as well as any "survival" whistle. Of the stuff, a real signalling mirror is probably the most expensive and complex item in such kits, and not something easily substituted for.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Doug_Ritter), 369 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.