Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#262085 - 07/25/13 07:51 PM woman dies at popular desert hiking destination
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

The couple got lost, then she apparently succumbed to heat stroke. Story here. As is common in the wilderness it was not a single element but a group of elements (lost, heat, physical condition, perhaps more) together that spelled disaster. This story strikes home to me because I have been a heat casualty and it is no fun.

Stay safe out there this summer, folks.

#262093 - 07/25/13 10:19 PM Re: woman dies at popular desert hiking destination [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
In a different article I read about this incident, a ranger was saying that everyone seems to the get to the spot OK. It's on the return trip that people typically get lost. So, finding a destination easily is no guarantee that the return route will be as easy.

Permits are required to hike to there and they are limited in supply and given out by lottery. Apparently you have little control over when your application might be approved, so even if it's the hottest part of the summer, people still make the trek because they don't know when they might get another chance.

#262101 - 07/25/13 11:30 PM Re: woman dies at popular desert hiking destination [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'll take our cold weather over the desert heat any day. It's so much easier to warm up than to cool down. We lost one of the residents of our townhouse community on the weekend due to the exact same thing, cardiac arrest due to heat exhaustion. And she was just sitting around the pool watching her grandson swim. Honestly, deserts are probably the environment that scare me the most. If you get lost, and can't find water, you're screwed.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#262102 - 07/25/13 11:38 PM Re: woman dies at popular desert hiking destination [Re: Arney]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Your post seems to explain why they were hiking at lower elevations during this time of year. This is the time when I head for higher, cooler ground. Deserts are for winter or spring.

#262146 - 07/28/13 02:35 AM Re: woman dies at popular desert hiking destination [Re: hikermor]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Based upon the wikipedia article, heat injury is very complex. The straightforward dehydration/heat exhaustion is only one piece of the puzzle. Elevated body temp damages the intestines ability to contain contain endotoxins, portions of bacterial cells that are toxic in themselves as distinct from toxins produced by bacteria, resulting in toxic shock and damage to diverse organs. High body temp resulting from exertion in high heat environments can start a cascade of devastating physiological events that can kill very healthy people very quickly: Michael Popov's last run.. This seems to be simple physics-generating more heat than can be dissipated, but the wiki article suggests that high heat/high humidity environments may result in scenarios that are fatal to people resting in front of a fan in the shade. Scary stuff.

#262184 - 07/29/13 07:41 PM Re: woman dies at popular desert hiking destination [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Good points NurseMike. I had seen the stories on Popov and that was quite sobering.

I've seen some material from US Army research that shows heat illness to be a somewhat inflammatory response, not just a heat transfer problem, and that aligns with your post. The Army has found that heat stress is cumulative, and making it through the night after a hot day is no guarantee of surviving the next day's heat.

Like BacPacJac says, if I stay on top of things I can stay warm in the cold, but even if I do everything right I can't make a lethally hot environment cooler.

#262190 - 07/30/13 02:49 AM Re: woman dies at popular desert hiking destination [Re: nursemike]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: nursemike
...the wiki article suggests that high heat/high humidity environments may result in scenarios that are fatal to people resting in front of a fan in the shade. Scary stuff.

Generally, heat is the number one weather related killer. The '95 heat wave in Chicago killed about 750 residents in five days, mostly older folks just trying to ride out the heat at home. They certainly weren't exerting themselves heavily during that week.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.