Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#254783 - 12/20/12 05:31 PM Interesting way to stay warm ...
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
From an article about a snowboarder who was lost for a couple days:

Boucher said he survived the freezing nights in the hazardous North Shore wilderness, in part, by using his own urine in a Ziploc bag as a kind of hot water bottle.

Seems pretty clever to me.

#254784 - 12/20/12 05:55 PM Re: Interesting way to stay warm ... [Re: Denis]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

A $10,000 bill for rescue... bet he was p*ssed about that!

How does that old saying go? "Don't give me a p*ss bottle and tell me it's hot water!"

smile

But seriously, not a bad move on his part. If you're going to give up that heat anyway, might as well get some of it back.

#254785 - 12/20/12 06:07 PM Re: Interesting way to stay warm ... [Re: Denis]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Based on the title, I assumed the post was going to involve a Ton-Ton.

-john

#254788 - 12/20/12 06:38 PM Re: Interesting way to stay warm ... [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Denis Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
A $10,000 bill for rescue...

That's another aspect of this story altogether. That the hill is going against the recommendations of the SAR group doesn't sit too well with me. I also wonder if such a bill would be enforceable.

I wasn't able to find much yet about Boucher's response to the bill, other than this (from the same article): "... he is aware he might get a bill from Cypress Mountain to help pay for his rescue, but committed only to raising money for the North Shore Search and Rescue Society."

#254789 - 12/20/12 06:47 PM Re: Interesting way to stay warm ... [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Denis Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
A $10,000 bill for rescue... bet he was p*ssed about that!

Oh ... and I did get & enjoy the pun despite my first, humourless response smile

#254790 - 12/20/12 07:04 PM Re: Interesting way to stay warm ... [Re: Denis]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Glad he is OK and Kudos to all.

#254792 - 12/20/12 08:20 PM Re: Interesting way to stay warm ... [Re: Denis]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What could he have carried?

handwarmers 2/$5

signal mirror and whistle $15

Spare food/ water $10

walkie talkie $40

Emergency "space" blanket $10

GPS $120

or

Cost for rescue $10,000

#254793 - 12/20/12 08:29 PM Re: Interesting way to stay warm ... [Re: Denis]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Don't forget a PLB for $240.

#254795 - 12/20/12 08:48 PM Re: Interesting way to stay warm ... [Re: TeacherRO]
Denis Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
What could he have carried?

After watching the video at the top of the article, I'm willing to cut him some slack. He says that he was notified of his best friend's death on the way to the mountain and left his backpack behind even though he brought it to the mountain with him. As he said, he probably should have just turned around and gone home instead of continuing with his day given his emotional state.

That said, you are absolutely correct, some simple, relatively inexpensive gear would have gone a long way to improving his situation.

#254797 - 12/20/12 10:48 PM Re: Interesting way to stay warm ... [Re: Denis]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Denis

After watching the video at the top of the article, I'm willing to cut him some slack. He says that he was notified of his best friend's death on the way to the mountain and left his backpack behind even though he brought it to the mountain with him. As he said, he probably should have just turned around and gone home instead of continuing with his day given his emotional state.

As always, the story presented is not always what it seems. Yes this man lost a friend and yes he may of left his backpack behind. However the claim that he was distracted and simply took a wrong turn is far from the truth...

I know the area he was in and there is are plenty of warning signs etc posted.

A rep from the ski resort stated this also: Koeman (of Cypress Mountain) said that in order to end up where he did, Boucher, 33, of West Vancouver, had to have ignored and disobeyed a series of warning signs and then either climbed over or crawled under a boundary rope.""

Also on another local forum, much the same:

"There are signs, gates, notices. Cypress can't do more other then close sky chair." (the lift.)

Luckily for this man, the local SAR rescued him and with all SAR teams, The risk is very high, but they do it anyway.

John Lubbock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 252 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.