Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#259134 - 04/15/13 04:15 PM An outing backpack - For hiking, boats and planes
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

As I read many of the 'got lost in the woods' stories, it occurs to me that very simple, basic planning would have made these people much more comfortable and find-able.

One idea I like is always go with a small pack --Every time you hike, walk, fly in a small plane or go out in a boat.

Think small -- about 1,000 CI -- a daypack or similar, and under ten pounds.

Include:
1. The ten+ basics
2. comfort and personal items

Nothing fancy here - just an idea to get in the habit of having and carrying a small pack.

Teach

#259135 - 04/15/13 05:10 PM Re: An outing backpack - For hiking, boats and planes [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I dare say most of those on this forum would agree heartily with you. The trick is in following the procedure faithfully, and tweaking your minimalist pack for various situations and seasons, and still keeping everything small enough so that it goes with you.

I find that more and more often I prefer clothing with lots of pockets. That way I can distribute stuff in various places and keep things on me, not in a pack from which I can be separated. And I always have a good answer to the eternal question "What's it got in its pocketses?"

#259136 - 04/15/13 05:28 PM Re: An outing backpack - For hiking, boats and planes [Re: TeacherRO]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
A good idea. Folds nicely into EDC. But I have found that it can also be a practical problem, at least here in the Washington DC area. For example, I always carry a SAK. One day I found that I (unexpectedly) had to go into a federal building. Oops, no knives allowed; metal detectors and search on the way in. Problems ensued.

At least around here, you need to keep track of what you have in your pockets, or it may be confiscated.

So, you need to train yourself to have two conditions; what I carry when out in the woods, small plane, boat etc., and what to carry when in, for lack of a better word, civilization.

It sounds simple, but I find it hard to switch between 2 sets of things to carry. The real world tends not to care what you thought you would need. . .and my memory isn't that great anymore!

#259138 - 04/15/13 05:49 PM Re: An outing backpack - For hiking, boats and planes [Re: bws48]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bws48
A good idea. Folds nicely into EDC. But I have found that it can also be a practical problem, at least here in the Washington DC area. For example, I always carry a SAK. One day I found that I (unexpectedly) had to go into a federal building. Oops, no knives allowed; metal detectors and search on the way in. Problems ensued.

If I'm driving having a small lockbox in the car lets me store my pistol with somewhat more security than just dumping it with my sharps in the glovebox before entering secured buildings. I've also learned to leave extra time to let me park, walk up to the door, realize that the building is marked for "no guns," walk back to my car and put it away before going in.

At other times I've had a collection of items that wouldn't pass muster and no car to stick 'em in. In each case the guard sergeant was very understanding and agreed to hang onto my gear until I came out. I've been thanked repeatedly for coming clean before entering security.

#259155 - 04/16/13 02:05 AM Re: An outing backpack - For hiking, boats and planes [Re: TeacherRO]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I always take something, even if it's my fanny pack. When I MUST crawl in one of those tiny DEATH TRAPS called private planes, I take the fanny pack, wear a fully packed flight suit, survival vest, take an 85 liter pack with add ons and a parachute. If things go bad I'm bailing out, not waiting to die in the crash. And I don't care what the pilot says about wieght and fuel. I'm not thier for fun. On the water it's survial PFD and fanny pack. All our riding and work saddles have full survival kits in cantles bags. bedroll with extra clothing, duster, saddle bags with three days food, medical, cookware, ammunition and trail needs. There's a rifle and two canteens as well. I insist on it and train all the new hands in what to do if lost or hurt. So I fully agree with you, just think there should be more in the bag you mention. Just my humble opinion, you're welcome to yours.

#259157 - 04/16/13 02:11 AM Re: An outing backpack - For hiking, boats and planes [Re: chaosmagnet]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I bought a heavy cordura pencil pouch and sewed a loop on it with D rind and added a tiny lock. When in situations where I'm on foot my toys fit in nicely and the lock through zipper pull secures it all from nosy security. They appreciate the sealed package when they hold it. I have also used manilla envelopes with an ideogram across the edge of the flap.

#259167 - 04/16/13 04:18 AM Re: An outing backpack - For hiking, boats and planes [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#259168 - 04/16/13 04:22 AM Re: An outing backpack - For hiking, boats and planes [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
You're preaching to the choir, brother. I always carry at least these 10 basics: a light, a blade, fire, a whistle, lip balm, sunglasses, a bandana, some paracord, water bottle and FAK, along with seasonally appropriate clothing for the worst potential weather. i've also usjally got an extra jacket or sweater. it's exceptionally rare for me to hit the trail without a pack. Unfortunately, my challenge is the opposite one to this: I need to figure out how to carry less so my achy body can enjoy it out there more. wink

With the exception of the water bottle and extra jacket, everything else I EDC either goes in my pockets or in my "purse" or backpack.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#259176 - 04/16/13 02:20 PM Re: An outing backpack - For hiking, boats and planes [Re: ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
I always take something, even if it's my fanny pack. When I MUST crawl in one of those tiny DEATH TRAPS called private planes, I take the fanny pack, wear a fully packed flight suit, survival vest, take an 85 liter pack with add ons and a parachute.

You do have an option. Don’t board a private plane. I have not been inside a private plane since Dad’s plane crashed on May 16, 1992.

Jeanette Isabelle

#259178 - 04/16/13 03:23 PM Re: An outing backpack - For hiking, boats and planes [Re: ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
..... When I MUST crawl in one of those tiny DEATH TRAPS called private planes, .....I don't care what the pilot says about wieght and fuel. ......
It isn't so much weight and fuel, it's weight and balance. And if you don't care what the pilot says about it then you are being excedingly dumb.

We have a lot of light aircraft crashes in Alaska, and a very high percentage are due to improper loading, either too much weight or weight that is not properly balanced. If a pilot is any good, he/she won't let you board with too much weight, and will be very careful about how and where all weight is stowed. I refuse to fly with any pilot who is careless about it.

Not crashing in the first place beats the best survival kit, every single time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 361 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.