Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#256040 - 01/31/13 12:00 AM 10 most important survival "topics"
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
I just got a moleskine journal...288 pages, approx 3.3" x 5.5".
I want to keep this as a EDC journal/reference book where I can keep all my misc. tidbits of info, instead of using computer files, the numerous other small journals I have, and the like. When I pick up a magazine or survival book, or visit a website and browse it, I'll write down the info, and keep it on small notepads. I want to condense all these sources into the 1 journal. I also want to keep it as simple as possible so it will actually get USED...with me the simpler the better.
I'd like to get the main subjects down to ten, and fewer if possible, so each subject has it's own area. Here's what I have so far..not in any particular order....

Planning/preparation
Shelter/clothing
Fire/heat/light
Food/water
Tools/kits
Navigation/travel
Communications/signalling
First aid/hygiene
Nature/weather
Skills

I also have security as a heading but was wondering if I can/should include this with another topic. Has anyone else come up with a similar system, and if so how is yours set up?

#256044 - 01/31/13 01:05 AM Re: 10 most important survival "topics" [Re: barbakane]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: barbakane

I also have security as a heading but was wondering if I can/should include this with another topic. Has anyone else come up with a similar system, and if so how is yours set up?

Some would argue that security is more important than everything else on your list depending on your own particular situation. Security is an every day concern.

#256048 - 01/31/13 03:59 AM Re: 10 most important survival "topics" [Re: barbakane]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
barbakane... there is a very powerful organizational tool known as (1) list, (2) cluster and (3)label...the value of the process is that the list headings are derived after rather than before potential problems are identified...I'm using potential problems as a topic in this survival model, though the list could be something like desired outcomes

list....a general list of potential problems is prepared... a free thinking exercise, I used a classroom discussion..topic something like, what are some of the problems associated with a Cat 3 hurricane, with a resulting 7 day electrical power outage

cluster... similar potential problems are identified, and radial lines drawn to the paper's margins to a point.. the list might include high wind, storm surge, fresh water flooding , tornadoes

label...once the lines are drawn, and all possible connections are made, the label is determined that best describes the cluster...for this example, the label would be something like
"life threatening weather events"

#256069 - 02/01/13 01:02 AM Re: 10 most important survival "topics" [Re: barbakane]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

you lost me after "organizational tool"...all i want to do is have a maximum of ten mini-chapters in my little journal book, a place I can write all my little tidbits of information/tips I glean from books, mags, websites, etc. Ideally I'd like as few chapters as possible and was wondering if anyone else has done this, and if I can consolidate the chapters better so i have fewer. Again, simplicity is the key. If anyone has a binder system they use, how is the binder divided...by subject, threat level, scenario?

#256071 - 02/01/13 03:10 AM Re: 10 most important survival "topics" [Re: barbakane]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Don't dismiss LesSnyder's suggestion out-of-hand. There is a great deal of value in going through the exercise he suggested. Take half an hour and try it. There is no downside to it. When I was in the Air Force we did exercises similar to this for a variety of things. It was amazing what you can accomplish as an individual or group in a short brainstorming session. Have fun with it.

My $.02

#256076 - 02/01/13 11:57 AM Re: 10 most important survival "topics" [Re: barbakane]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A good starting point would be the topics listed on the home page right here at Equipped to Survive. Modify to accommodate your individual situation.

#256082 - 02/01/13 03:07 PM Re: 10 most important survival "topics" [Re: barbakane]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
Maybe something based on the 10 essentials?
Not that I know better than Hikermor.:^)

#256086 - 02/01/13 04:23 PM Re: 10 most important survival "topics" [Re: barbakane]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
barbakane -- Should your journal be organized as the 10 topics you listed or should those maybe be 10 sub-topics be listed under major events/issues that are a realistic concern? Tornado, Hurricane, Earthquake, Fire, Massive Social Unrest yada yada yada, could each have a separate list for:
Planning/preparation
Shelter/clothing
Fire/heat/light
Food/water
Tools/kits
Navigation/travel
Communications/signalling
First aid/hygiene
Nature/weather
Skills
There will undoubtedly be some overlap, but the situation will change how some of those issues are addressed and what EDC is appropriate.

#256105 - 02/02/13 12:18 AM Re: 10 most important survival "topics" [Re: barbakane]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

K...I'll try the exercise at the next scout campout...I'll sit around the fire after all the kids are asleep and see what I come up with. Guess I misread Les's idea, no offense Les. The categories under the situation/event is a good idea too, since the response to social unrest would be different from hurricane/tornado...hadn't originally thought about it as event driven but that is how I think about preparedness as a whole so should keep the formats the same.
Thanks for the ideas....again this forum is the best and most level headed.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 405 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.