The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#254982 - 12/29/12 09:57 PM New Day Trip Pack
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Ok, so I'm 8 months pregnant, on doctor ordered take-it-easy time, and just received a couple of awesome Christmas gifts. The snow is flying and I have cabin fever. I'm itching to get out there so I'm amusing myself today by making a new day trip kit, specially designed for the preggo who can't carry much or go very far off the pavement. With a little luck, I'll test dive it over the next couple of days, by at least having a brew up.

Pack: High Sierra (no idea what model but it's really basic)
Boo Boo Kit (not shown)
Lanyard (not shown: Fox 40, ferro, LED, mini multi-tool)

Sharps: Fixed blade, Bacho Laplander

Fire Kit: LM folder, mini bic, SA matches (in Tylenol container), tea light, lip balm, hoof fungus, jute twine, lamp wick, small buck-style folder
>>> in med bottle: birch bark, pine chips, pine pitch and cotton balls

EDIT: this kit (minus the LM folder and a bic) are now back in the tea tin. which I intend to try to make char cloth in (using the lamp wick)

Shelter Kit: clear drop cloth, mylar blanket, nylon cord, emerg poncho and 2 x contractors bags (not shown)
>>> adding foam sit pad

Water and Cooking Kit: GI canteen & canteen cup, GSI tea kettle, esbit stove & tabs, bandana

EDIT: The LM folder and a mini bic are now stowed in the kettle, along with the fixings for a brew up.

Light: 3XAAA LED

Food/Drink: tea(3)/coffee(2)/instant apple cider(2) in zip lock (3) MRE hot chocolate, tuna & crackers, MRE spoon

EDIT: the tea & coffee are now in their ziplock bag inside the kettle, inside of the fire kit being stowed in there.

Everything on the black mesh bag, fits in the black mesh bag, and it all goes into the GSI kettle, along with the esbit stove.

Any suggestions to make it better/lighter?

Edited by bacpacjac (12/31/12 02:04 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#254983 - 12/29/12 10:43 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
NICE!

#254984 - 12/30/12 12:20 AM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Jacqui... possibly a way to filter/purify water without the need to stop to boil it...a MRE/Mountain House entree just in case you need to stay overnight...do you carry a real GI poncho or GoreTex shell?...stay safe...57F degrees in sunny Florida...no chance of snow tonight smile

#254987 - 12/30/12 12:57 AM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks guys.

Les, I always dress (in layers) for the worst potential weather. right now that means either a winter jacket or gortex shell over fleece. My regular hiking kit has a gi poncho it, along with better shelter stuff and a change of clothes. this pack isn't going far off-road so it's much more minimalist.

i've got a tarp tipi en route and will likely put that in here for shelter. (Haven't git it yet so not sure about the size/weight. The specs say it's about 3 pounds.) For now though, my son wants to try to make one of cody lundin's super shelters, so I'm packing that stuff, hoping we'll get a chance to do it soon.

this kit is intended for a planned outting so we'll pack food as we go, along with more water. my son got some MH mac n cheese for Christmas, so that'll likely be the first meal.

i thought about adding another way to make water but, honestly, we're not going far so figure it's easier to carry the water we plan to use with us.

#254991 - 12/30/12 03:12 AM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Seems like a pretty awesome kit. So that's what you're taking to the delivery room, I guess? smile

Stay safe and healthy!

#254992 - 12/30/12 03:23 AM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
What kind of fixed blade do you have there??

What about signaling? Signal mirror. Include a whistle at the very least.

I'd lean toward a headlamp rather than a hand held light, but that's just me lately. I'm a BIG fan of Princeton Tec EOS headlamps - I have them all over my house.

Personally Il don't care for cheap plastic ponchos. They are typically so flimsy. I'd rather stow large (30-50 gallon) bright (orange) plastic bags that can act as a ground cover and a rain/dew protector. Buy a box of them and share them with others. They make great gifts!! :-P

The backpack filled with leaves can act as a insulating seat.

I'd also include a map of the area, a compass, a GPS, extra batteries for the GPS, and a PLB.

I might recommend cutting cord into 16-20 foot lengths and bundling them. I cut a 100 foot hank of cord into six 16 foot lengths. That makes it easier to manage (less tangling) and MUCH more likely to be used on a regular basis - for all sorts of things. Maybe keep one 50 foot or longer length of poly line (stretches less than nylon).

#254993 - 12/30/12 04:45 AM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: KenK]
GradyT34 Offline

Suggest including water purification tablets and a zippo hand warmer with a 4 oz. can of zippo's cleaner burning (than most) lighter fluid.

#254995 - 12/30/12 06:06 AM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
A couple of thoughts if you really want to go lighter (I have plenty more if you're looking to go the ultra light route but I doubt this is the forum for that).

Knife: Both the Izula and Bravo Necker weigh less than 1.5oz and they will chop down a tree.

Light: The Four Sevens Mini is 200+ lumens and weighs 0.6oz. It also has several nice distress modes (beacon) that last for weeks.

Saw: I doubt your saw weighs much but this saw is so small you can carry it in your front pockets. I've cut through 12" trees with mine.

A CanteenShop GrillTop Stove will allow you to boil water in your canteen cup - thus ditching the kettle and stove. I really like your kettle by the way. I have one and use it regularly just not when trying to stay light.

Take the rope off the spool. You'll shave another ounce (hey, it adds up! Especially when you're carrying enough of a load up front!)

I've never had good luck with that brand of emergency blanket. I've had much better success with AMK.

Ultra Sil tarps and ponchos are awesome but pricy...

Does this help?

#254999 - 12/30/12 02:23 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: gulliamo]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: gulliamo

Saw: I doubt your saw weighs much but this saw is so small you can carry it in your front pockets. I've cut through 12" trees with mine.

I've used both the Bacho Laplander and the Unbelievable Pocket Chain Saw. They both cut VERY well. If you want a saw that is used regularly then go with the Laplander - or a Silky saw. If you want a compact saw for emergencies then the Unbelievable Pocket Chain Saw is an excellent choice.

Cutting through something must larger than my arm doesn't do much good in the fire unless I split it ... and I really don't like splitting logs. I find enough smaller stuff to do what I need to do. If I'm cutting something that big I'll bring a larger bow saw such as the Trailblazer Take-Down Buck Saw and bring a maul & wedges.

These days I carry a Silky Pocketsaw, though I can't recall the tooth size - it has a black handle.

#255008 - 12/30/12 08:22 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Seems like a pretty awesome kit. So that's what you're taking to the delivery room, I guess? smile

Stay safe and healthy!

haha! We've got our hospital bags and baby packed and ready to go, Bingley. I'm just biding my time until this baby decides she's ready to make her big entrance.

That reminds me, I need to pack more snacks for hubby.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.