Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#254843 - 12/23/12 02:37 AM Another reason not to just rely on a cellphone
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
The local SAR team (NSR) is again out looking for an out of bounds snowboarder in the same general area where they rescued another person. a few days ago.

With today's search, the person's cell coordinates indicated that he is on an island which as you see on this Google Map is quite a ways from Cypress Mountain which is in the lower middle of the map.

Just seen on the news that the SAR team now knows the general area where he is and are gearing up to go in to rescue this person.

Fortunately this will have a good outcome, and SAR was able to contact him via the cellphone. Had there been no cell voice contact, it is possible that hours could of been wasted searching in the wrong area and this makes another good case for carrying a PLB.

John Lubbock

#254862 - 12/24/12 02:33 AM Re: Another reason not to just rely on a cellphone [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I see the North Shore crew got the second guy out Sunday morning. Good job on their part.

I'm surprised the guy's cell phone gave such an inaccurate location. I guess the more local towers, the better the accuracy. Or does it have something to do with disabling location-related features in the phone itself (which I do as a matter of principle)?

As for out-of-bounds skiers, we've had this discussion too many times before. They still don't get it, and they still put others in harm's way. But there's no point in my getting lathered up about it again. It's like talking to a post.

#254903 - 12/26/12 03:28 AM Re: Another reason not to just rely on a cellphone [Re: Teslinhiker]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I can understand the draw of out-of-bounds skiing. I've snowboarded in fresh powder, and it's like surfing on a cloud. Very fun. It's addictive, and once all the in-bound snow is tracked up, you get closer and closer to the edges. I don't think it's even close to worth the risk, but I can understand it.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.