The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#253928 - 11/27/12 11:17 PM Missing Person Survives by Covering in Moss
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
This runner made some very unwise choices while out for a run in a local regional park, (Lynn Headwaters) which meanders through a valley as it gains altitude up into the local mountains. After getting lost and only dressed in a light jacket and shorts, he survived by taking shelter under a stump and covered himself in moss and was found about 20 hours later by SAR. The overnight and day temps in the area were well below zero and luckily the man survived. Hopefully after this experience, he will make better choices in the future...

Note that there are 2 videos on the right of the page and will take a moment to load even if it says it is not available. The second link on the right, titled "Runner rescued from North Shore Mountains" is a bit shorter but contains some wry commentary by Tim Jones of the local SAR.

This area is one of our preferred places for day hikes as it is close by and the views are outstanding, however people still need to be aware that the terrain and environment up there can be very unforgiving to the inexperienced and unprepared.

This picture was taken last winter and lower down in the valley.

John Lubbock

#253934 - 11/28/12 07:00 AM Re: Missing Person Survives by Covering in Moss [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
That's some fine country. But an impromptu night out with no gear would be bloody miserable.

I'm glad the guy made it. And kudos to the SAR crew who brought him out. At least he stayed put, found shelter and used what he could find for insulation. Far from ideal, but he did take action to mitigate the most likely outcome of a chain of mistakes.

I have to say that many trail runners seem to have a similar attitude when it comes to even the most basic gear. It flops, it jiggles, it slows me down, it throws me off balance. They're strong and can't imagine that something could throw them off pace, let alone leave them stranded.

#253943 - 11/28/12 02:29 PM Re: Missing Person Survives by Covering in Moss [Re: Teslinhiker]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
That place looks beautiful... I think I am going to have to add it to my list of places I must see sometime.

I'll bring warmer clothes than that runner though.....

#253944 - 11/28/12 02:37 PM Re: Missing Person Survives by Covering in Moss [Re: Teslinhiker]
barbarian Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
Between things like careers, what's for dinner,car payments, taxes, etc., folks get complacent. They forget that the world is a dangerous place.

Hopefully, this was an eyeopener for him and family.

#253946 - 11/28/12 03:24 PM Re: Missing Person Survives by Covering in Moss [Re: Teslinhiker]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
We get people who drive up here to see the snow in the same outfits,then get stranded,the roads close,slides,etc,then they are stuck..

People put themselves into situations when they have no clue what it just might entail. They are clueless.They just dont know better.

How many people from the flatlands actually prepare for sub freezing temps in their vehicles,very very few even have it cross their minds.

As for the yahoos who go into danger,willingly,with signs saying DONT,well what the heck,they are Maroons and Idots.

At least this guy has a clue and can see what he did was wrong,unlike the fools in the raft in the other thread.

I give him credit for what he did do,used his head when he was in real danger,thats commendable.

Glad he is OK for sure!

#254114 - 12/01/12 04:19 AM Re: Missing Person Survives by Covering in Moss [Re: Teslinhiker]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

They make runner belts to carry small items conveniently; id, cash, keys, lighter. etc.

#254146 - 12/01/12 09:58 PM Re: Missing Person Survives by Covering in Moss [Re: ]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Seems like moss would make for a good insulator. Probably saved his life.

I was thinking exactly the opposite. Moss holds a lot of water and water conducts heat a lot quicker than air so conceivably he could be wrapping himself in a "cold water blanket".

#254154 - 12/02/12 01:40 AM Re: Missing Person Survives by Covering in Moss [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Well, whatever the individual used, whether damp or dry, it was sufficient. Give that man a passing grade....

#254156 - 12/02/12 01:49 AM Re: Missing Person Survives by Covering in Moss [Re: Teslinhiker]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ground litter -- "duff" of various material makes good insulation - Leaves, grass, etc. You can build a debris hut out of the stuff.

#254179 - 12/02/12 02:37 PM Re: Missing Person Survives by Covering in Moss [Re: Teslinhiker]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
i am a trail runner and i always, always care a backpack with emergency gear in it.

Good example. I fractured my wrist last weekend on the trail, due to a fall. (typing lefthanded right now). It was the worst that could have happened, no fear of being stranded or a worse injury occurring, but i could have splinted and slung my arm with what i had.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.