Topic Options
#252305 - 10/27/12 02:20 AM Basic fire starting kit
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#252311 - 10/27/12 10:08 AM Re: Basic fire starting kit [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks Teacher! Great little kit. I'm stealing the ideas for the wrap around the bic and the ferro rod. Getting a good grip on the bic can be tough in the cold and I've got the same falling out problem with the ferro rod I keep in my LM sheath.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#252320 - 10/27/12 07:41 PM Re: Basic fire starting kit [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
We share similar thoughts on fire starting, except I have a LMF ferro rod in the #2 spot. I might have to get some of those stormproof matches after watching that video, which is a little scary.

You should consider carrying two Bic Minis, instead of a Bic and that sparky. As you said, the sparky is basically a Bic without the Butane. So, why not just carry another Bic? The sparky is really NOT like a different type of device. The sparky is more like a similar, yet inferior, device. With your sparky and that tinder, you have maybe 10 chances to make a fire. In contrast, I have lit one of my Bic minis over 200 times. It still has fuel in it. Plus, we already know whatever Bic is doing in the manufacturing process is top-notch. I don't have the same confidence in a sparky.

#252321 - 10/27/12 07:49 PM Re: Basic fire starting kit [Re: TeacherRO]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
exactly my kit, only I don't bother with the matches and always carry a ferro rod.

#252326 - 10/27/12 11:06 PM Re: Basic fire starting kit [Re: TeacherRO]
widget Offline
Addict

I always carry the ferro rod and some of the stormproof matches. They will light and are great items. The Bic is fine when it works. The bike tube bands are a good idea, they are good for lighting difficlt fires and also keep the Bic from slipping out of your pocket. I have had problems with Bic and other butane lighters over the years. I do carry one occasionally but they can't be relied upon. I have had brand new Bics that would not light and they also break easily.

I normally carry a Zippo, freshly filled with a backup fill from a Zippo keychain tank. A ferro rod, and the stormproof matches. I keep two small containers full of cotton balls saturated with petroleum jelly for instant fire. Never fails. I also always carry a light, fixed blade knife, in case I need to whittle my way into some dry wood.

Your kit will work fine too smile

#252330 - 10/28/12 02:53 AM Re: Basic fire starting kit [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Just for the record, I have found Zippo's to be unreliable (when it'll be empty, who knows?). I have found Bics to be extraordinarily reliable. That's consistent with most other people's experiences. I have some Bic minis that have been sitting on the shelf for years, and they still are to the top with fuel. I personally have not had a Bic randomly fail. I think I'd have to be abusing it, but I wouldn't know. I think the low price of a Bic throws people off.

#252331 - 10/28/12 02:59 AM Re: Basic fire starting kit [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I learned a valuable lesson when I bought a new bic a few weeks ago. Try it out in the store before you buy it. I didn't. I amde sure it had lots of fuel but I got one with a sparking wheel that wouldn't turn.

#252409 - 10/30/12 03:05 AM Re: Basic fire starting kit [Re: bacpacjac]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I have given up and by them by the box of 50 now!
boreal.net

#252488 - 10/31/12 12:22 AM Re: Basic fire starting kit [Re: bacpacjac]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
... but I got one with a sparking wheel that wouldn't turn.

You could have always lit it with a ferro rod ... if you had one.

I EDC the tiny Boy Scout Hot Spark ferro rod ever since I saw that Tom Hanks movie (the name's escaping me ... getting old!).

When out & about I carry a ferro rod (a bigger one in my day pack), two lighters - typically one Bic and another one, and a baggie filled with Vasoline-covered cotton balls (careful not to soak the centers). With those fire starters I KNOW my ferro rod will work just fine.

The only reason I carry matches these days is to light my Coleman lantern, which is tough to light with just about anything else.

#252837 - 11/04/12 12:05 PM Re: Basic fire starting kit [Re: KenK]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: KenK
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
... but I got one with a sparking wheel that wouldn't turn.

You could have always lit it with a ferro rod ... if you had one.

I EDC the tiny Boy Scout Hot Spark ferro rod ever since I saw that Tom Hanks movie (the name's escaping me ... getting old!).

When out & about I carry a ferro rod (a bigger one in my day pack), two lighters - typically one Bic and another one, and a baggie filled with Vasoline-covered cotton balls (careful not to soak the centers). With those fire starters I KNOW my ferro rod will work just fine.

The only reason I carry matches these days is to light my Coleman lantern, which is tough to light with just about anything else.

We think alike, Kent. I always have a ferro rod with me. A bic is (usually) easy to work with but my ferro rod has never let me down. I prefer to carry both, with matches and/or a mag bar as back-up for those, and PJ cotton balls, at the very least, for tinder.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.