Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#248167 - 07/08/12 04:51 PM EDC bags?
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I didn't want to hijack the keychain thread, but being in Nursemike's age demographic, I'm considering an EDC bag or two, but I haven't pulled the trigger. I say two such bags because one would have to pass convention muster in a moderately conservative suit and tie environment . Needs to be classy, conservative, low profile. The second would be a weekend/ holiday carry, cargo's and shorts, walk around the City bag. Contents, in both cases, urban emergency and daily snivel gear, weighing 1 to 3 lb.s.
On occasion , I've used a Manhattan Portage, medium sized, black Europa bag as bag #2. Not a bad choice, but it's too big to be a small bag and just large enough to tempt me to overpack it and turn it into a smallish GHB. My fault, I know. But, nevertheless .....a problem.
In any event, I'd welcome your suggestions for non-tacticool alternatives. Cheers.

#248186 - 07/09/12 12:07 AM Re: EDC bags? [Re: acropolis5]
powerring Offline

You didn't specifically mention whether a backpack is OK but, if it is, I think a Tom Bihn Synapse would do nicely for you in both roles. It's conservative, classy and low profile. It's 1160 cubic inches (19 l) so it's not a very big pack but it's extraordinarily well balanced and organized. The Synapse is very well constructed and the design is attractive. I love mine.

#248188 - 07/09/12 01:59 AM Re: EDC bags? [Re: acropolis5]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A nylon briefcase?

#248189 - 07/09/12 02:20 AM Re: EDC bags? [Re: acropolis5]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Well, cordura, but yeah - I can testify to the durability of Tom Bihn bags, I've carried a Tom Bihn Café bag internationally for about 7-8 years and the only thing that's bust is the buckle which I can live without. It holds lots of tech stuff and could easily contain an EDC if I wanted to pass through TSA with all that. I've seen the Synapse backpack and I think it could pass as either a genteel briefcase or as a daypack provided you choose a neutral (blackish) color. I typically empty out my café bag when I go walkabout overseas, and fill it with stuff I find. Tom Bihn is the bomb.

Disclaimer: No consideration from Tom Bihn, just a happy customer etc.

#248195 - 07/09/12 11:25 AM Re: EDC bags? [Re: acropolis5]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Thanks for the Bihn links-great resource. I am currently using either an old eagle creek shoulder bag that is nearly identical to the cafe bag, and a kelty ruck that is a close approximation of the synapse. I have a scottevest that could supplant either, but then I would be wearing a vest, sweaty, lumpy, and slightly silly in appearance.

#248198 - 07/09/12 01:42 PM Re: EDC bags? [Re: acropolis5]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
...would have to pass convention muster in a moderately conservative suit and tie environment . Needs to be classy, conservative, low profile.

A great point that is overlooked by many.

IMO a good choice these days is a high quality messenger bag in all-black. Enough professionals are walking around with laptops in black bags that it blends well.

#248210 - 07/09/12 04:23 PM Re: EDC bags? [Re: acropolis5]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have a Tumi messenger bag which I use when in more "classy" (read business suit) situations. It is an old one, but Tumi is very durable (though very expensive). It has lasted me 15 years so far with no visible wear. It is a bit smaller than most messenger bags made now, but can hold a good bit. It is a very nice bag. I have gotten my money's worth out of it.

#248293 - 07/10/12 10:30 PM Re: EDC bags? [Re: acropolis5]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I prefer an EDC bag to be leather and relatively small. I recently bought these 3 bags and will be keeping 1 winner:
MS Collection - Manbag
Claire Chase - Manbag
Rustic Leather - Manbag

I have been tempted to buy one of these bags for going super light:
Vagabong Traveler - Shoulder Pouch
Rustic Leather - Shoulder Pouch

If I carried an iPad (which I don't), then I would buy this bag:
MS Collection - Manbag for iPad

I'd like to have this Maxpedition for light hiking or biking:
Maxpedition - Manbag

Having the right EDC bag is important to me because it is the only clothing I don't change day-to-day. Of course, bags are highly personal, as everybody has their own needs and style.

#248340 - 07/11/12 08:07 PM Re: EDC bags? [Re: acropolis5]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I am a huge fan of gorucks GR1 bag. Totally bomb proof, lifetime guarantee on defects. Made in USA by a company created by an SF guy.

Disclaimer. I not only own this bag but have participated in a few of the events this company puts on around the world on an almost weekly basis. I don't work for them but am a huge raving fan of their company, product and philosophy.

#248353 - 07/11/12 10:00 PM Re: EDC bags? [Re: ireckon]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I'd like to have this Maxpedition for light hiking or biking:
Maxpedition - Manbag

This bag is on my list of "to get". Some people endlessly seek for the perfect knife, flashlight etc. Whereas for me, the search for the perfect bag goes on endlessly...

John Lubbock

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 405 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.