The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#246411 - 05/29/12 08:40 PM Shipwreck survivor recalls 10 days lost at sea
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Interesting story of survival.

3 men out fishing had their boat capsize on them and after about 18 hours in a life raft, made it to shore where they survived for 10 days before being rescued. Although there were many mistakes made and there are plenty of lessens to be learned, the bottom line is that they survived and did some things right and now are able to share their story. There is also an audio interview link on the page which runs about 9 minutes and gives more details.

I have always thought that if I were to be stranded and had to survive, that a shoreline offers many opportunities to enhance the odds of survival...

John Lubbock

#246427 - 05/30/12 03:52 AM Re: Shipwreck survivor recalls 10 days lost at sea [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

I have always thought that if I were to be stranded and had to survive, that a shoreline offers many opportunities to enhance the odds of survival...

I agree with you completely. It is hard to conceive of a better situation than a coast with high and low tides and plenty of shellfish and kelp or other aquatic plants. In addition, there are all the items might find while beachcombing; I have found functioning flashlights, unopened soda cans, literally miles of rope and cordage, net floats (both glass and plastic) marine charts, - you name it, it will turn up on a each someday.

#246441 - 05/30/12 03:15 PM Re: Shipwreck survivor recalls 10 days lost at sea [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Here's a link with additional details:
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1185143--b-c-fisherman-stranded-for-days-on-remote-island

Seas that could capsize a 50-foot fishing boat would make 18 hours on a life raft (in cold waters) thoroughly miserable.

It's unfortunate they didn't have a regular check-in system. Someone would have been looking for them a whole lot sooner.

These guys did quite well considering what they had to work with -- only their raft and the stuff in their pockets.

Clearly, they kept their heads and focused on the essentials, knowing they were in it for the long haul. They improvised footwear, shelter, and signalling. They found fresh water and food. And they did what they could to keep morale up, such as bathing with the soap they found.

The one big thing they weren't able to do was make fire. A Bic and a candle would have been a game-changer, precious beyond price.

#246448 - 05/30/12 05:40 PM Re: Shipwreck survivor recalls 10 days lost at sea [Re: Teslinhiker]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
It is sad that these experienced fishermen didn't have a covered life raft, nor did they have emergency supplies strapped into the raft. It also seems that they did not have a means of starting a fire as part of an EDC.

And apparently, despite being native Canadians, they didn't know how to start a fire with what they could find--the bow-drill method comes to mind.

They were indeed lucky to have survived.

#246452 - 05/30/12 06:38 PM Re: Shipwreck survivor recalls 10 days lost at sea [Re: Treeseeker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Treeseeker
And apparently, despite being native Canadians, they didn't know how to start a fire with what they could find--the bow-drill method comes to mind.

Actually, we Canuckians don't come out of the womb with this kind of knowledge. Pour gasoline on it and light it with a match, maybe, but not fire with sticks. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#246454 - 05/30/12 07:58 PM Re: Shipwreck survivor recalls 10 days lost at sea [Re: Treeseeker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
It is sad that these experienced fishermen didn't have a covered life raft, nor did they have emergency supplies strapped into the raft. It also seems that they did not have a means of starting a fire as part of an EDC.

Yes, some basic additional gear would have been very helpful. I don't know what gear is normally required in rafts on a vessel like this. But a bag of useful goodies in the raft would have been worth its weight in gold.

Maybe. Most Canadians, native or not, use a Bic to start fires. Starting any fire is tough enough in a West Coast rainforest, even with modern firestarters, because everything is a sponge. I would argue that even an experienced bow-drill operator would have a mighty tough time in that environment.

They were indeed lucky to have survived.

There was an element of luck, some of it good and some of it bad. But despite some large gaps in preparation, IMHO it was skill and knowledge, not luck, that kept them alive and in decent shape. Heck, they didn't even need medical attention when they were rescued.

Edited by dougwalkabout (05/30/12 08:00 PM)

#246461 - 05/30/12 09:01 PM Re: Shipwreck survivor recalls 10 days lost at sea [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
To further expand on Doug's comments.

I have never been to Banks Island in the Hecate Strait but have visited Haiad Gwhaii (formerly known as the Queen Charlotte Islands) across the strait.

Banks Island is in a northern rainforest environment where annual rainfall is measured in feet and where humdity is usually very high. Lighting an emergency fire there and maintaining that fire for days at this time of year can be challenge for almost any experienced person regardless of method used. Especially where daily rainfall can be upwards of 8 inches or more. The ground and terrain is characterized by very large old and and second growth Cedar, Pine, Fir and other softwood tree species that with their thick canopies block all but the sunniest days of light. In many places, the ground is covered with water saturated downed trees covered in moss and where the thick and almost impenetrable underbrush can make overland travel, all but impossible.

As for luck, yes they had some of that, however for being stranded in such an environment, those fishermen did quite well and were very resourceful with what they found on the island. Making shoes out of styrofoam, how many would think of that?

John Lubbock

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.