Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#245347 - 04/26/12 06:59 PM Have you ever had to use your PSK?
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Here's my question: Have you ever had to use your PSK in a REAL LIFE survival situation? I mean real life, do or die, not digging into it for mattches because your main supply got wet or ran out. Or for your Photon or Pico because your main light died.
I have. A military model made to fit in a cargo pocket, of course I had rebuilt it to fit my tastes. I had to subsist on it's tools and my knife for 8 days in a jungle/tropical enviroment. Not as much fun as it sounds.

Edited by Snake_Doctor (04/26/12 07:06 PM)

#245352 - 04/26/12 07:48 PM Re: Have you ever had to use your PSK? [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My husband once used the snare wire in mine to tie my car exhaust back on in the middle of nowhere. Does that count?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#245359 - 04/26/12 09:57 PM Re: Have you ever had to use your PSK? [Re: NightHiker]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
... when your hovering 84-90,000 ft elevation mark.

Yes, some of my most trying times on the trail have been at about 85,000 feet. At least the view was nice, eh... smile

#245361 - 04/26/12 10:43 PM Re: Have you ever had to use your PSK? [Re: ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
3 of the more memorable occasions:

- Zap straps and rope to improvise a broken backpack buckle. Without the straps and rope, the backpack would of been all but useless to carry and otherwise would of involved a very long trip out with only minimal supplies of warm clothing, food and shelter.

- Snare wire used to make grips for boots on an early spring ice thaw on a mountain trail descent where the sun had melted the ice enough to leave the trail very slick and unsafe with a layer of water on top. The wire was doubled up, twisted together then placed under the sole of the boot and wrapped over the top of the foot to make a crude set of chains so to speak. This method was adaquate enough to allow a long but safer descent off the mountain before dark.

Various first aid kit (3 total) contents after a member of our group took a bad tumble on some rocks and suffered a deep and potentially life threatening laceration that ultimately required almost 2 dozen stitches. Had we been equipped with a PLB at the time, the button would of been pushed without a doubt.

John Lubbock

#245366 - 04/27/12 03:19 AM Re: Have you ever had to use your PSK? [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Setting off on a fun weekend of rock climbing that involved a climb of my favorite peak, we encountered a climber injured in a rockfall. We used everything we had in getting him to a hospital; it was a truly eventful evening.

When doing SAR, I was sometimes queried about why I carried so much in my pack. I would respond with accounts of the short operations that used all of my gear - the bivvy stuff, the tech toys, the basic fire making apparatus. Rescues have a habit of expanding rapidly, requiring unexpected and unusual actions.

#245370 - 04/27/12 07:08 AM Re: Have you ever had to use your PSK? [Re: ]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Never had to use mine, but I have used much of the emergency gear I carry "just in case" in my pack and vehicle.

#245371 - 04/27/12 11:26 AM Re: Have you ever had to use your PSK? [Re: NightHiker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: NightHiker

The last time I used anything in mine was a couple of years ago during a 50 backpacking trip with my son's scout troop in the Sawtooth Wilderness. One of our scouts left his sleeping back in the vehicle at the trailhead (intentionally). He thought he would be ok with just a fleece blanket - not a great idea when your hovering 84-90,000 ft elevation mark. I used my dental floss to sew his blanket into a bag and gave him my military grade survival blanket. He wasn't super comfortable (we had snow on 2 nights) but he survived...he also became a big advocate of having the proper gear.

Nice save, Scoutmaster NightHiker! That'll probably be a lifelong memory for him.

#245373 - 04/27/12 12:00 PM Re: Have you ever had to use your PSK? [Re: ]
Frozen Offline
Journeyman

I used the duct tape and nylon cord to lash the sole of DW's boot on so we could make it back to civilization.

#245375 - 04/27/12 02:18 PM Re: Have you ever had to use your PSK? [Re: Frozen]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Frozen
I used the duct tape and nylon cord to lash the sole of DW's boot on so we could make it back to civilization.

You just reminded me of the time we - gasp - ran at out duct - at a Scout camp. A wind storm whipped through and ripped our kitchen shelter tarp. My psk duct tape saved the day. Thank you Doug!

#245379 - 04/27/12 04:49 PM Re: Have you ever had to use your PSK? [Re: ]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
In 1991 I got stuck in a Chicago office high-rise elevator during a power outage. I used my flashlight to find the emergency phone. A security guard 'rescued' us. He had the pleasure of walking up 26 floors to open the door. Not a big deal, but the light made the situation much more manageable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.