Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240563 - 02/05/12 07:30 PM AMK Survival medic
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
What are your opinions on this new psk?

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=267

A good thing is that it has a heatsheet. Shelter usually is an item that is overlooked in a psk. However, I do feel that AMK in it's SOL line is focussing more on creating cheaper knockoff items such as the whistle and fire-lite.

I also don't see any water purification. On the plus side, it's msrp is under $20,-

Edited by JIM (02/05/12 07:31 PM)

#240564 - 02/05/12 07:45 PM Re: AMK Survival medic [Re: JIM]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I've pondered this Jim. I'd consider it for an edc fak, but I' take out the fire and compass and try to add a bandana, relying on my edc for fire and navigation - and a sharp.

It's pretty basic, but I like the heat sheet, and the minimal set up would be good when a larger fak and ems isn't far away. I'd carry a way more robust kit for a ghb, bob or wilderness kit. This would be good for an urban - suburban outting, when you normally don't need much.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#240568 - 02/05/12 11:44 PM Re: AMK Survival medic [Re: JIM]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I think you can do a lot better by assembling your own for that price out of bulk purchased items. The heatsheet would be the highest expense but you can purchase the rest or even compile the rest from previous purchases and the medicine cabinet. Youre pretty much buying a few cheap bandaids and a heatsheet there.

#240574 - 02/06/12 01:45 AM Re: AMK Survival medic [Re: JIM]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
It looks like 2x2 gauze, wipes and bandaids - not much to hang the "Medic" title on. I'd rather carry a roll of kerlix and wrap any cut or abrasion than duct tape on a 2x2 gauze which may not fit the wound.

While the Heetsheet blanket is fine, I opt for an AMK emergency bivvy for a few dollars more - better shelter from the wind and cold if you're mobile, and you just cut it open to lay over a prone patient.

Whistle is fine but mine is always on a string around my neck.

And tinder may be good where you live, I have used tinder exactly zero times where I live. Still, tinder and striker sit in the bottom of my bag somewhere in case I hit exactly the environment where it might do me some good. I carry insulation and therefore my primary source of heat with me.

#240577 - 02/06/12 02:23 AM Re: AMK Survival medic [Re: JIM]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Clearly this is a fairly simple kit.
What these type of kit do, is start to make “survival” and preparation a bit more mainstream for folks who might otherwise be scared off by such notions.

Hopefully anyone who did purchase a kit like this would start to think about what was in it, and what else they may need.
If they don’t, eventually, start thinking that way, then this kit is probably more than they would have purchased anyway !

If you start with a kit like this, and think it will serve your needs, then you will take it along. That’s a plus.
If you need something from it, I’m sure that will force you to restock and evaluate what’s actually in it.

We all need to start somewhere, and a kit like this may be the first step in a long journey ?

#240579 - 02/06/12 02:49 AM Re: AMK Survival medic [Re: JIM]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
I started with pre-packed kits and modified from there. Not quite to EMT level, but I can use everything in it.

Its a start.

#240587 - 02/06/12 03:41 AM Re: AMK Survival medic [Re: Finn]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One very useful and versatile item that is routinely omitted from kits of this ilk is an elastic bandage (Ace). In practice, over the years a 2" or 4" Ace has been the most used item in my kit, either for myself or some one else in the group. I remember one week long backpack where all six ace bandages were eventually wrapped around someone's dinged joint; we looked like the "Spirit of 76."

That is one specific instance of why I like to assemble my own kits; usually you can save a good bit of money as well, as well as keeping good control of the quality of the critical item on which you may well depend.

#240589 - 02/06/12 03:56 AM Re: AMK Survival medic [Re: JIM]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
this is a repeat, but some pretty good stuff on the net if you want to build your own first aid kit...

USNERDOC
The Patriot Nurse

#240625 - 02/06/12 06:20 PM Re: AMK Survival medic [Re: LesSnyder]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
this is a repeat, but some pretty good stuff on the net if you want to build your own first aid kit...

USNERDOC
The Patriot Nurse

Can you point us to some useful links for building a FAK?

Teacher

#240629 - 02/06/12 07:10 PM Re: AMK Survival medic [Re: JIM]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
YouTube vid... I know USNERDOC has both a Level I and II first aid kit, with multiple parts, and a vid on suturing

The Patriot Nurse has some good insight to a family kit

retired teacher

Edited by LesSnyder (02/06/12 07:37 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.