Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#220171 - 03/24/11 03:34 PM ETS Foundation Joins Coalition to Save Our GPS
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Equipped to Survive Foundation has joined the newly formed Coalition to Save Our GPS, which is opposed to the unusual and unsound waiver by the FCC for LightSquared to use its satellite spectrum for high-powered ground-based broadband transmissions that may interfere with GPS signals before testing has determined that it is safe to do so.

Read about the Coalition to Save Our GPS and what you can do to help: http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=317
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#220216 - 03/24/11 10:31 PM Re: ETS Foundation Joins Coalition to Save Our GPS [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Equipped to Survive Foundation has joined the newly formed Coalition to Save Our GPS, which is opposed to the unusual and unsound waiver by the FCC for LightSquared to use its satellite spectrum for high-powered ground-based broadband transmissions that may interfere with GPS signals before testing has determined that it is safe to do so.

Read about the Coalition to Save Our GPS and what you can do to help: http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=317
That sounds like such a NOT good idea. You got my attention.

HJ

#220524 - 03/29/11 07:47 PM Re: ETS Foundation Joins Coalition to Save Our GPS [Re: Doug_Ritter]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Thanks for the heads up on this -- just sent an e-mail to the FCC as the Save Our GPS website suggested. They have an impressive list of backers; hopefully someone in D.C. notices the 800-pound gorilla in the room.

#220527 - 03/29/11 07:56 PM Re: ETS Foundation Joins Coalition to Save Our GPS [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Frisket Offline
Addict

How could they not consider this beforehand? Isnt GPS a Military based Thing first and foremost? Doesnt the military rely on GPS For almost everything including artillery these days?

#220534 - 03/29/11 10:06 PM Re: ETS Foundation Joins Coalition to Save Our GPS [Re: Frisket]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Frisket
How could they not consider this beforehand? Isnt GPS a Military based Thing first and foremost? Doesnt the military rely on GPS For almost everything including artillery these days?

Just follow the money and politics...
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#220545 - 03/29/11 11:35 PM Re: ETS Foundation Joins Coalition to Save Our GPS [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I asked someone whose been out of the military for a while now and he said that the GPS they use is completely different from the GPS you and I use. They have their own separate set of satellites, different frequency, etc that has replaced the system we use. He couldn't give many more details since that was classified.

#220546 - 03/29/11 11:39 PM Re: ETS Foundation Joins Coalition to Save Our GPS [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Interesting I never knew that. I originally learned GPS was Military only with civilians able to use it but with major distance error readings on purpose by the government till Bill clinton opened it to us. I wonder when they replaced Their system?

#220547 - 03/29/11 11:55 PM Re: ETS Foundation Joins Coalition to Save Our GPS [Re: Eugene]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Eugene
I asked someone whose been out of the military for a while now and he said that the GPS they use is completely different from the GPS you and I use. They have their own separate set of satellites, different frequency, etc that has replaced the system we use. He couldn't give many more details since that was classified.

Not exactly...........
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#220551 - 03/30/11 12:17 AM Re: ETS Foundation Joins Coalition to Save Our GPS [Re: Eugene]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Eugene

The US military uses standard GPS. They used to use Selective Availability to encrypt part of the signal to reduce civilian GPS precision, but that's been discontinued.

#220556 - 03/30/11 12:49 AM Re: ETS Foundation Joins Coalition to Save Our GPS [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have no way to verify that and he said he can't give me any details but they were using the new stuff already when he was still in. Part of his job was putting the gps receivers and radios in military vehicles, setting up the encryption keys and such so I would think he knows whats hes talking about.

Edited by Eugene (03/30/11 12:52 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.