The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#240888 - 02/10/12 06:18 PM Why Proper Navigation Training is Necessary
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I just finished up a article on why Proper Navigation Training is necessary and figured some of you may be interested in reading it.

The most important point that I attempt to make in this article is that we underrate the importance of good navigation skills in avoiding Survival Situations and often take Wilderness Navigation skills for granted, especially the Compass.

In the article I go over the top three avoidable mistakes in wilderness travel. No route planning or route card, No rescue plan or escape route, and Not understanding how to use the Navigator’s Toolbelt.

If you are interested the Article is Here: Why Proper Navigation Training is Necessary

I hope you find the information of interest and spent some time practicing with your compass and making a Routecard before you leave for the woods next time.
boreal.net

#240892 - 02/10/12 07:43 PM Re: Why Proper Navigation Training is Necessary [Re: BruceZed]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Lots of interesting links and resources in there. Thanks for posting.

#240894 - 02/10/12 09:38 PM Re: Why Proper Navigation Training is Necessary [Re: BruceZed]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Bruce,

Outstanding post.

I agree compleltely about your thoughts on Wilderness Navigation.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.biz

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

#240898 - 02/11/12 12:39 AM Re: Why Proper Navigation Training is Necessary [Re: BruceZed]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: BruceZed
The most important point that I attempt to make in this article is that we underrate the importance of good navigation skills in avoiding Survival Situations and often take Wilderness Navigation skills for granted, especially the Compass.

Agreed. I think some people treat their compass like a good luck charm. Its a little button in the pre-fab survival kit they bought, and it makes them feel like they are prepared for an emergency. Thanks for posting the link.

#240901 - 02/11/12 01:12 AM Re: Why Proper Navigation Training is Necessary [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Most "Pre-fab Survival Kit(s)" purchased are just a Placebo or a the Ultimate Survival Sugar Pill. If I pack this I will survive; instead of thinking if I take the right critical survival item that I know how to use in poor conditions I can be comfortable through the survival situation.
boreal.net

#240904 - 02/11/12 01:19 AM Re: Why Proper Navigation Training is Necessary [Re: BruceZed]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I can use a map and compass relatively well. Probably better than 90% of the people on the street - no brag just fact. I was in the Army before GPS, and before that my dad taught me a ton in Scouts. Fact is, would rather plot where I am than rely on GPS, as I can get within a meter if forced, 10 meters standard.

Having said that, great post. Anything that makes people think before they act, and not rely on the button compass in their PSK.

I usually carry two compasses. One might be wrong, two aren't.

#240905 - 02/11/12 02:09 AM Re: Why Proper Navigation Training is Necessary [Re: JBMat]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If you review the posts in this forum I believe you will find that a very common sentiment is that training and skill trump gadgets and gear when a survival situation occurs - lightweight and they don't take up much space, either.

#240909 - 02/11/12 02:49 AM Re: Why Proper Navigation Training is Necessary [Re: JBMat]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If you carry two compasses and one is wrong, which one is wrong? wink

There seem to be two themes in this thread, one on the importance of good navigation and as we have seen so many survival situations begin with the "victim" becoming lost, I consider the importance of good navigation and staying found to be a given. Another given is how easy it is to become lost if you don't actively stay found.

The other theme is that of pocket/personal survival kits. I'm not big on the small survival kits peeps buy and never use until they realize they are in a survival situation. I much prefer EDC users: knife/knives, flashlight, whistle et al.

When I go off-road I have map & compass(es), GPS (preloaded with maps and waypoints and these days a second GPS on my wrist sans maps but with the same waypoints. Getting lost is bad form and waypoints are cheap. Having a GPS with dead batteries is also bad form. If you carry a GPS, carry spare batteries too and turn the GPS off when you don't need it.

There will be lots of other gear too, but it's user gear -- no unopened survival kits, stuff I've used with back-ups I've used.

#240911 - 02/11/12 03:24 AM Re: Why Proper Navigation Training is Necessary [Re: Russ]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Russ
[i] Carry spare batteries and turn the GPS off when you don't need it.

Spare batteries IN EXCESS.

I've experienced several 4-packs of good name-brand AA batteries having a dud in the package. If your GPS needs 4 batteries (my older ones do) and one of the 4 spares is a dud then I'd effectively NOT have spare batteries.

Gotta be careful out there!

#240915 - 02/11/12 04:14 AM Re: Why Proper Navigation Training is Necessary [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Russ
If you carry two compasses and one is wrong, which one is wrong? wink

Also, many phenomena which cause compass variation (power lines, metallic deposits, etc.) will affect any compass in the area, so both may be identically wrong. The vast majority of the brand name compasses are pretty reliable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 270 Guests and 94 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.