Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#237908 - 12/23/11 11:42 PM Self Reliance Illustrated Magazine
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Not sure if this has been posted before. Self Reliance Illustrated has back issues of their magazine available as .pdf files.

I haven't read through all copies yet but some of the info looks like it may be a good read.

Sample magazine topics table of contents:

Water
Going Primitive by Ken Seal III

Ask Payge by Payge McMahon
Numyth Vulcan Fire Piston by Andy Blanchard
Primitive Char Cattail: Nature’s CharCloth by David “Mitch” Mitchell

What’s in my pack?
14 Days / 3 Seasons / 200+ Miles by Payge McMahon
What’s in my pack? by Michael Henninger

Shelter
The Roof, The Crown of a Shelter by Caleb Musgrave

Tools
Southern Grind by Dan Coppins
A New Fix on an Old Knife: The AK-47 Bayonet by Dan Mervine

Knots
Cobra Weave by Scott Wickham Jr.
Food
GSI Billy Pot by Tim Stetzer
Non-Seasonal Edibles by David “Mitch” Mitchell

Navigation and First Aid
Hasty Assessments for Medical Emergencies by Kelly Martin

Do It Yourself
Downtime Bushpipe by Jesse Herb
The Flip Flop Winch by Mike Lummio
Make Your Own Bug Out Bag by Scott Wickham Jr.

Inspirational
Mother Nature’s Little Lessons by Reverend Robert Schuler
What Now? by David Stous

Hunting
California Kid Meets His Match in a Feisty Squirrel
by Randolph “Randy” Merril
How I Make a Squirrel Skin Bowstring by Jamie Burleigh

Pathfinder Youth Organization
The More Your Carry by William Sigler

The Grind: What’s New at Blind Horse Knives by L.T. Wright

Book Review by Bill Bernard

John Lubbock

#237916 - 12/24/11 02:48 AM Re: Self Reliance Illustrated Magazine [Re: Teslinhiker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks Teslinhiker! I'm looking forward to reading these!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#237940 - 12/24/11 05:41 PM Re: Self Reliance Illustrated Magazine [Re: Teslinhiker]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

Some great articles there - thank you for the info!

#237968 - 12/25/11 03:05 AM Re: Self Reliance Illustrated Magazine [Re: Teslinhiker]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I took a quick look, and I can't help but wonder whether this vision of self-reliance depends on a particular geographical location. In my cursory glance, the concerns, examples, and techniques all have a decidedly rustic, or at least suburban flavor.

Being able to handle blackouts seems part and parcel of every urbanite. Heck, some people lived through riots. But to take a different sort of example, it's hard for me to imagine urban dwellers growing a vegetable garden unless they are lucky enough to find an apartment with a sizable plot on top of the building, or unless they are rich enough to afford a house in the city. For some people it may even be cheaper to hire someone to do the growing than to spend their otherwise financially productive time tilling the soil -- if they can find the time away from work. Not everyone is rich, but for many, time and opportunity are the two big problems. Acquiring all these skills and equipment so they can live on their own in the middle of nowhere (i.e., be self-reliant as envisioned by the magazine) is basically a hobby or even an escapist fantasy. You'd have to take a vacation to live like a pioneer, and you get to feel "empowered" as the magazine says, at least until rushing back to work at 8 AM Monday morning.

That's not to say there may be some good information in the magazine, but looking at the magazine made me realize how situationally dependent preparation is.

Edited by Bingley (12/25/11 03:08 AM)

#239121 - 01/11/12 07:42 PM Re: Self Reliance Illustrated Magazine [Re: Teslinhiker]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
This past weekend I went to the gun show in Frederick and stopped by the Blind Horse Knives booth (yes, I did buy a knife – I almost always do from them – great knives) and picked up 4 of the Self Reliance Illustrated Magazine issues (3 back issues and the current issue) and was very impressed with the quality and diversity of articles.

I am definitely taking out a subscription and suggest people might want to take a look at a good resource.

Pete

#239122 - 01/11/12 08:54 PM Re: Self Reliance Illustrated Magazine [Re: Bingley]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I took a quick look, and I can't help but wonder whether this vision of self-reliance depends on a particular geographical location. In my cursory glance, the concerns, examples, and techniques all have a decidedly rustic, or at least suburban flavor.

Being able to handle blackouts seems part and parcel of every urbanite. Heck, some people lived through riots. But to take a different sort of example, it's hard for me to imagine urban dwellers growing a vegetable garden unless they are lucky enough to find an apartment with a sizable plot on top of the building, or unless they are rich enough to afford a house in the city. For some people it may even be cheaper to hire someone to do the growing than to spend their otherwise financially productive time tilling the soil -- if they can find the time away from work. Not everyone is rich, but for many, time and opportunity are the two big problems. Acquiring all these skills and equipment so they can live on their own in the middle of nowhere (i.e., be self-reliant as envisioned by the magazine) is basically a hobby or even an escapist fantasy. You'd have to take a vacation to live like a pioneer, and you get to feel "empowered" as the magazine says, at least until rushing back to work at 8 AM Monday morning.

That's not to say there may be some good information in the magazine, but looking at the magazine made me realize how situationally dependent preparation is.

I'm afraid that you just mentioned the elephant in the room. Most people live in built up areas. It's difficult at best to grow enough food for self reliance, and near impossible to keep it from being stolen off of the tree by the local bipedal parasites. I'm not saying that it's a waste of time and resources, but you shouldn't expect to live off of it.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#239189 - 01/12/12 11:53 PM Re: Self Reliance Illustrated Magazine [Re: Teslinhiker]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio

Thanks for the post and links.

Read the free copy late last night. I'm impressed with the quality and detail of the pictures, guess that is the
"Illustrated" part.

I like that most of the articles are short and to-the-point (I have a short attention span blush )

Great find. I may even subscripe when I can save up a few bucks. That mag isn't exactly what you would call inexpensive, but the copy I read makes me think it would be worthwhile.

If anyone could give some feedback confirming that the subsequent issues are as well laid out and illustrated, I would appreciate it. That would help me decide to subscribe or not.

TIA,
Buckeye

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 349 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.