The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#237926 - 12/24/11 10:18 AM Survival items WITHIN our bodies
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Hi.

We frequently see discussion about having survival items ON YOUR PERSON, instead of being in a bag or pack that you may lose. In this thread we can a step further and investigate items WITHIN your body that can aid in a survival situation.

Ands being WITHIN your body can mean the item is part of the body, or the possibility to excrete/remove the item from the body

One example comes to mind frequently. If you are a bit overweight when SHTF, that fat can help keep you warm and protect you a bit from starving ( partial food, partial shelter).

I remember from our older folks that when women got sick some 70 or 80 years ago, they sometimes were not able to breastfeed their babies or even dead during labor. Then one female relative/neighbor would help breastfeed that baby until the mother is OK, or the baby is old enough.

Other than these two examples, I could not think of items / material that is body-made and can help in survival situation, not until I saw an episode of dual survival where Cody Lundin peed on his own head cover and then wrapped it around his own head. The logic was the moisture in the head-wrap would reduce loss of moisture from the body while walking in the desert. Although very logical, LOL, but his partner Dave Canterbury declined Cody’s generous offer to pee on his hat for the same purpose !

I thought of another possibility to use body “products” for survival , like human hair for example. Seems like good tender , although I haven’t tried it. In a survival situation hair will continue to grow, and so , should be put to some use.

Also, some people have oily skin. I wonder if they wipe their faces with some tissue or cotton ball , will that make it like a vaselene / cotton ball tender ???

#237927 - 12/24/11 12:38 PM Re: Survival items WITHIN our bodies [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Well, for fire starters, there's always belly button lint and ear wax...Ear wax is actually flammable. Myth Busters made candles from ear wax.

Body oil functions as an insulating layer,as does facial stubble. Hair doesn't make particularly good fire starter.

#237928 - 12/24/11 12:46 PM Re: Survival items WITHIN our bodies [Re: Chisel]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
With a diet rich in sauerkraut, legumes, and Coke Zero, one could capture body gasses in balloons and with a spark lite, use them later as signalling devices for passing aircraft or flash grenades to ward off predators.

#237930 - 12/24/11 01:08 PM Re: Survival items WITHIN our bodies [Re: Chisel]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Hiker, Mythbusters actually disproved the candles made from earwax thing. They were hard to light and went out quickly. Worst part was that it took the donations from many people over a period of time to actually make the candles.

#237931 - 12/24/11 02:09 PM Re: Survival items WITHIN our bodies [Re: Chisel]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians

#237933 - 12/24/11 03:38 PM Re: Survival items WITHIN our bodies [Re: JBMat]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Oops! My defective memory again. Certainly not a pracrtical idea unless you have a very large crowd on hand or lots of time.

One more comment about peeing on your headgear. It is a bit distasteful, but effective. Even better is simply having a full brim hat, basically something along the lines of a boonie hat. Those have worked quite well or me and when moistened with water, not urine, are really nice.

#237934 - 12/24/11 03:45 PM Re: Survival items WITHIN our bodies [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Would it be possible to use those gasses as a stove fuel? Talk about Leaving No Trace... It would also help retard global warming...

Perhaps HJ, the stove guru, could add more fuel to the fire.

#237935 - 12/24/11 03:54 PM Re: Survival items WITHIN our bodies [Re: Chisel]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
That's a hot idea!

#237946 - 12/24/11 07:40 PM Re: Survival items WITHIN our bodies [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Would it be possible to use those gasses as a stove fuel? Talk about Leaving No Trace... It would also help retard global warming...

Perhaps HJ, the stove guru, could add more fuel to the fire.

When we were teens we knew a guy who lit so many f@rts that we called him the "Human Firefly". I never told Al Gore about this, but onions and potatoes fried in pork grease are the real problem. I think Firefly caused global warming all by himself.

Good enough for 'lighthouse' type signalling, but definately not disciplined enough for Morse code.

#237951 - 12/24/11 09:48 PM Re: Survival items WITHIN our bodies [Re: Chisel]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Gentlemen, gentlemen. Let's try to stay somewhat on topic shall we? And may I remind everyone to keep it "family friendly?" 'Nuff said.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

HJ
Deputy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 458 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.