Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#237758 - 12/22/11 05:26 AM Missing Arizona State student found and is 'alive
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

An Arizona State University student packed a water bottle with snow and let it melt under the sun for drinking water while she was stranded for more than a week, authorities said Wednesday after the 23-year- old was discovered in a remote area of east-central Arizona.

http://ktar.com/6/1480143/Missing-Arizona-State-student-found-and-is-alive-and-well
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#237759 - 12/22/11 05:57 AM Re: Missing Arizona State student found and is 'alive [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
She is one lucky gal. I won't bash on her, but I will say that it's definitely a good idea to be well prepared when driving in rural areas in the snow. It's just too easy to get stuck.

"Weinberg, who is studying supply chain management..."

There's got to be some sense of irony there. smile

HJ

#237762 - 12/22/11 06:41 AM Re: Missing Arizona State student found and is 'alive [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Arizona will eat you up & spit you out,More so than anywhere else,no matter the season!She's one lucky gal,that's for sure!It's kind of a shame ASU doesn't have a standard curriculum or protocol designed to inform their students to be Equipped to Survive at all times when travelling about!Arizona being home to many,Well known survival experts including the founding father of this,Very Wonderful Site!I feel very lucky to be a member of this forum!

#237764 - 12/22/11 09:43 AM Re: Missing Arizona State student found and is 'alive [Re: Richlacal]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Arizona will eat you up & spit you out,More so than anywhere else,no matter the season!

?? I am not sure I agree with this statement....Arizona does have some rough country, but so does a lot of the western US. What surprises many people is how cold and snowy much of Arizona is, particularly the country north of the Mogollon Rim.

The saying is, "There's nothing between Flagstaff and the North Pole except a barbed wire fence."

#237771 - 12/22/11 12:51 PM Re: Missing Arizona State student found and is 'alive [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Hikermor ...
While I agree that a lot of the western US is pretty rugged, Arizona actually has one of the largest "changes" in ecosystems in the US. Something like 11 different ecosystems in the state, from desert to alpine mountain terrain. So it would be easy to start in Phoenix at 120 degrees at noon and end up in Flagstaff at 50 degrees at midnight in mid summer.

Kind of hard to pack when it's going to swing 70 degrees in a 3-hour drive, y'know?

#237774 - 12/22/11 01:22 PM Re: Missing Arizona State student found and is 'alive [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Not at all, or at least not very dissimilar to much of the rest of the western US, which was my point. Interior Southern California is very similar to Arizona, only more so. Think of the extremes that exist between Badwater (the low point in Death Valley) and the summit of Mt Whitney. With the exception of the very top of the San Francisco Peaks, none of Arizona exceeds timberline.

I lived and worked in Arizona, in both the northern and southern portions of the state from 1956 to 1985,and Arizona was the venue for learning about the outdoors. I did most of my SAR work there. I learned to keep a car stocked with basic survival items, especially water, at all times.

I experienced extremes while doing outdoor activities ranging from -40 (Flagstaff) to somewhere around 110 (Tucson).

Arizona contains beautiful, interesting country. People who pay attention to conditions thrive and enjoy. Those who don't, don't thrive. The problem is with the people, not the environment.

Edited by hikermor (12/22/11 11:47 PM)

#237775 - 12/22/11 01:31 PM Re: Missing Arizona State student found and is 'alive [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Not at all, or at least not very dissimilar to much of the rest of the western US, which was my point. Interior Southern California is very similar to Arizona, only more so. Think of the extremes that exist between Badwater (the low point in Death Valley) and the summit of Mt Whitney). With the exception of the very top of the San Francisco Peaks, none of Arizona exceeds timberline.

I lived and worked in Arizona, in both the northern and southern portions of the state from 1956 to 1985,and Arizona was the venue for learning about the outdoors. I did most of my SAR work there. I learned to keep a car stocked with basic survival items, especially water, at all times.

I experienced extremes while doing outdoor activities ranging from -40 (Flagstaff) to somewhere around 110 (Tucson).

Arizona contains beautiful, interesting country. People who pay attention to conditions thrive and enjoy. Those who don't, don't thrive. The problem is with the people, not the environment.

Ain't that the truth.

Whitney is great, but yeah, that swing in elevation really gets to you. I can't believe they do ultra marathons on that stretch. confused

#237776 - 12/22/11 01:55 PM Re: Missing Arizona State student found and is 'alive [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Even with the seemingly ridiculous amount of gear I keep in my vehicle, the conditions she was in would be extremely uncomfortable -- not to mention the stress of being stranded. The lowest temperature I've car camped in (sleeping in an insulated teardrop trailer) was 19 degrees. Even swaddled head-to-toe in fleece and in a sleeping bag (zero or 20-degree, I can't remember which), I was cold.

So kudos to her for being mentally tough enough to persevere. And thank God for those USFS employees checking the road gates.

The article doesn't say what her fuel situation was and whether she was able to run her car heater.

Roughly how much fuel per hour does an idling car engine consume?

She wasn't prepared for the winter conditions and did not have a heavy coat or blankets, Blair said.

Weather forecasters and authorities said her survival was remarkable, given the more than 2 feet of snow in the area and temperatures that dipped to near zero some of the nights. Blair said Weinberg had a cellphone but the battery was de
ad.

#237777 - 12/22/11 02:06 PM Re: Missing Arizona State student found and is 'alive [Re: Doug_Ritter]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Blair said Weinberg had a cellphone but the battery was dead.
Kinda makes you want to keep a car charger handy. (providing there was cell service)

#237781 - 12/22/11 03:36 PM Re: Missing Arizona State student found and is 'alive [Re: Doug_Ritter]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I consider a car charger to be essential safety equipment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.