Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#232918 - 09/28/11 05:26 PM Blade Making Follow Up
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
a while back i did a post of the blade my Wife was having made for me as a 65th BD gift.Hans Early our local metal smith was set to work.

here is the finished blade.

i'll add a grip of stacked leather discs and make a sheath of heavy leather as a winter project.this will be my canoe tripping knife from now on.

we had him stamp it with my initials and "65"

i had some feedback on the first post about this saying that a rough forged blade like that was more prone to rust and breakage.i wanted a "old time" looking knife,i have lots of factory blades,and as this will just be used for camp chores and not a all-around survival knife i don't think i have to worry about rust or abuse.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (09/28/11 06:25 PM)

#232921 - 09/28/11 05:48 PM Re: Blade Making Follow Up [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Nice! As a kid I used to watch a blacksmith make knives out of railroad spikes and leaf springs. I would go there so often he ended up making me a little friction lock folder, which I still have.

Not sure what he used for steel, but it takes an edge quite well (one could shave with it) and has no problem holding that edge. If your fixed blade is anything like my little folder in that regard, it should make for a great knife.

#232938 - 09/28/11 11:16 PM Re: Blade Making Follow Up [Re: CANOEDOGS]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Regarding the inferiority of forged blades: depends on the steel and the skills. There is an argument that forged blades have superior molecular structure compared to the blades atamped and ground out of designer steel by soul-less cnc machinery and laser cutters. It is all about soul. And physics.

#232945 - 09/29/11 02:40 AM Re: Blade Making Follow Up [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Kona1 Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest, USA
That is a nice looking blade, look forward to seeing the completed knife. Thanks for the update.

#232947 - 09/29/11 04:53 AM Re: Blade Making Follow Up [Re: nursemike]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

Nice blade. As for rust on that type of blade, it probably won't be much of a problem. Let a nice patina develop, wipe it dry when you get it wet, you'll have no problems. Sweat seems to be a bigger problem than anything, get that leather holster soaked in sweat on hot day, and now you've got salt everywhere.

Just out of curiosity, what are you planning on the handle design? Solid leather, ridges for grip, anything fancy? (I've seen a few with pieces of copper layered in with the leather I thought looked good).

Originally Posted By: nursemike
Regarding the inferiority of forged blades: depends on the steel and the skills. There is an argument that forged blades have superior molecular structure compared to the blades atamped and ground out of designer steel by soul-less cnc machinery and laser cutters. It is all about soul. And physics.

They can argue all they want, but it doesn't mean they are right. The only thing I'll say is that there is no one steel/technique is ideal for all situations. They all have their place, and their use. Search the blade maker forum at bladeforums.com if you are truly interested. Some of the makers there have a wealth of knowledge with regards to steel (types/use/preparation/heat treatment).

As for the soul of the knife, now your talking about something subjective (style). Everybody has their preference, and frankly it would be boring if everyone liked the same thing.

#232955 - 09/29/11 03:24 PM Re: Blade Making Follow Up [Re: speedemon]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Speed..i'm still thinking the handle over.i have a bag of leather discs so that will be the main material.i wanted this to be a bit smaller copy of my Dads WW2 sheath knife and that has a stacked leather handle.i have moose and deer antler and plenty of birch bark around but i don't want it to be too fancy.the sheath will be that Swedish style where the knife drops in almost to the pommel and not the guard with a strap around the handle like American knives.Hans will have to trim the guard a bit.
as far as soul, i took a Army buddy who is now confined to a wheelchair over to the shop and had him pound on the red hot blade a few times for remembrance....

Edited by CANOEDOGS (09/29/11 07:03 PM)

#232966 - 09/29/11 06:21 PM Re: Blade Making Follow Up [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

i had some feedback on the first post about this saying that a rough forged blade like that was more prone to rust and breakage.i wanted a "old time" looking knife,i have lots of factory blades,and as this will just be used for camp chores and not a all-around survival knife i don't think i have to worry about rust or abuse.

A beautiful blade, made the way they were before laser cutters and milling machines....back when a good blade meant survival. You don't have to worry.

#233039 - 09/30/11 10:14 PM Re: Blade Making Follow Up [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Pete Offline
Veteran

You've got a pretty big guard on that knife.
You planning on fighting off pirates on this canoe trip??
Hahahahaha !!!

Pete2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.