Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#232707 - 09/25/11 06:36 AM Montana hunter died by partner's bullet, not bear!
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Acording to a recent article, the hunter who recently died in a grizzly attack in Montana was killed by his partner's bullet, not the bear. See: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2016301708_apushuntergrizzly.html

Alaska writer Craig Medred's article on this at http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/think-gun-makes-you-safer-around-alaska-bears-think-again also includes a link to a study from the Journal of Wildlife Management on the effectiveness of bear spray. See: http://www.alaskadispatch.com/sites/default/files/Bear%20Spray.pdf

#232709 - 09/25/11 07:24 AM Re: Montana hunter died by partner's bullet, not bear! [Re: AKSAR]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
What a horrible tragedy! Sad that not only did man and bear both lose their lives, but a 20 year old kid is gonna have walk around for the rest of his life bearing the burden of knowing his shot killed his friend. Terrible.

#232713 - 09/25/11 02:18 PM Re: Montana hunter died by partner's bullet, not bear! [Re: Phaedrus]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
That is awful. I can't imagine.

Prayers out to all involved and the families of both hunters.

#232716 - 09/25/11 02:53 PM Re: Montana hunter died by partner's bullet, not bear! [Re: AKSAR]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
A terrible tragedy.

I'd like to offer up this account of another grizzly encounter that ended far better for all involved - http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/sep/18/gutsy-wrangler-huge-horse-save-boy-from-charging/. It hinged on the most unlikely of things, getting a horse to respond and charge a grizzly and not to follow instinct and run away. I have never seen one myself but I'm convinced that a grizzly encounter is like being in the path of the tornado - sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you.

#232718 - 09/25/11 03:30 PM Re: Montana hunter died by partner's bullet, not bear! [Re: AKSAR]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Will there be any manslaughter or the criminal charges brought up the against the hunter for the killing of an animal on the endangered list?

Criminal Manslaughter does include death due to irresponsible and incompetent behaviors. Adrenaline fueled blood lust/panic isn't really an excuse.

#232722 - 09/25/11 04:27 PM Re: Montana hunter died by partner's bullet, not bear! [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Highly unlikely. In most jurisdictions, panic under the described circumstances would be extenuating. Good luck on finding a jury that would convict. IANAL.

#232731 - 09/25/11 09:47 PM Re: Montana hunter died by partner's bullet, not bear! [Re: Lono]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Lono
I have never seen one myself but I'm convinced that a grizzly encounter is like being in the path of the tornado.....
They are incredible animals. When you see them just lying around, they can seem kind of clumsy and rolly polly. But when they run....it is just shear raw power and muscle.

Some years ago I shot a brown bear on Kodiak (a sport hunt, not a defense shooting). It was a great adventure, but these days I find I really enjoy just watching them.....with my binoculars from an appropriate distance. On my most recent trip to Denali National Park , a week ago, we were priviledged to see several groups of bears, doing their bear thing.

I would urge people to check out the link to the article on the effectiveness of bear spray. It makes for intersting reading. Here it is again: http://www.alaskadispatch.com/sites/default/files/Bear%20Spray.pdf
Even though, as noted above, I am quite handy with firearms, these days my personal choice is generally to only carry spray when I am out hiking.

#232735 - 09/25/11 10:38 PM Re: Montana hunter died by partner's bullet, not bear! [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
The D.A. said that the law, as he interpreted it, didn't protect any species from someone trying to protect themselves.

Izzy, you just gave me a little bit of hope for the world.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#232741 - 09/25/11 11:51 PM Re: Montana hunter died by partner's bullet, not bear! [Re: Blast]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
The D.A. said that the law, as he interpreted it, didn't protect any species from someone trying to protect themselves.

Izzy, you just gave me a little bit of hope for the world.
-Blast

That made even me smile Blast.

#232762 - 09/26/11 02:56 PM Re: Montana hunter died by partner's bullet, not bear! [Re: ]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
There was a case not long ago where a man was getting attacked by an angry Bald Eagle here in Florida... The D.A. said that the law, as he interpreted it, didn't protect any species from someone trying to protect themselves.

I guess the only catch with this case is the hunter originally shot the grizzly thinking it was a black bear; the self defence only came later as they tried to track down the bear he shot.

It will be interesting to see if he ends up getting charged under the Endangered Species Act based on the fact that he shot a protected species due to his misidentification of the animal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 518 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.